Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mark Dees

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foolthrottle, Apr 28, 2013.

1. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Anyone remember Mark Dees? I met him in Mexico in 1995 after his race car blew a motor, he rode in my service truck for a couple of days. I ran into an old friend of his the other day and it would seem just about anyone in motor racing from Bonneville to Indy has a Mark Dees story. A friend just sent me some video of Marks last race in Mexico in 1996, he's a navigator in a 50's Volkswagen.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I never knew him, but man what a knowledgable guy. He wrote a couple of books if memory serves correct, and I know he authored several articles about racing flatheads and other speed equipment subjects. Sadly, if memory also serves correct, I believe he was killed on the way to or from the first Muroc reunion in '96 on the same highway I was on on that day...

3. BillWallace

BillWallace

Mark Dees probably contributed more to american auto racing history than anyone before or since. It was rumored that prior to his death that he was putting together history of indy car racing since the end of WW2. Does anyone know what happened to that research? There would seem to be a demand for another book along the lines of "Miller Dynasty".

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago I was having trouble spinning bearings with an old hemi, so I sat down with every article and service manual I could find and started reading, one article stood out and I thought I wonder who wrote it? Mark Dees. President of the Ferrari club? Pullman car restorer? Horse breeder/racer? more?

5. littleabby

littleabby

Hi folks -- I just came across this thread today, so I'm a bit late in the game. I'm Mark Dees's daughter and I've been happy to see the fond memories that still exist of my dad. He was a character, for sure, but also a very special, sweet person with a hell of a lot stuffed into that brain.

I just wanted to put my info out in case any of you have any video or articles or anything about him that you'd be willing to share. Please send a private message or post here. It would mean a lot to my sister and me.

As for his research, I'm not sure if he got too for with a follow up to the Miller book. The thing he spoke about most prior to his death was his research on the Knights Templar, which he also hoped to turn into a book. My sister may know more about any other car books that were in the works. But in any case, as most of you know, he had a tendency to start a lot of projects and then get distracted -- not much got completed. (He did pass this trait down to his daughters, unfortunately!)

Another problem we faced is that most of his research was done on 5-inch (7-inch?) floppy disks on an old Tandy computer system that was password protected. He finally bought a Windows computer, but never fully set it up. Sigh. We have not had much luck finding anyone who works on those old systems. We still have the disks but after all these years, but I'm not sure what remains intact.

Thanks again, all of you, for the good thoughts.
    Abby Dees

6. Thanks for joining in the discussion about your Dad. It always helps set the records straight when a close friend, or in your case, a family member comes on board with stories about the individual. Welcome and hope you enjoy your HAMBtime........Don.

7. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I'm sure a lot of people here would enjoy seeing pictures of your Dad at Bonneville if you have any.

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

When I first met Mark, he was the City Attorney of Inglewood, CA.

9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Don't worry I'm sure the statute of limitations has run out. City Attorney? that would account for the dry, sardonic sense of humor. I thought he was just another racer, I had no idea who he was at the time, although I did recognize the name from his Hot Rod mechanics articles.

10. Stanford graduate.......an expert layman of esteem regard, for certain.

11. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I was friendly with Mark for a number of years in the eighties and early nineties when we were both members of the Super Fours Dry Lakes Club. He offered me an autographed copy of the Miller Dynasty book, but at the time I couldn`t afford the C-note cost.(!!!) Also worked in Moorpark during that time next to where his Pullman cars were stored on a siding. He was always patient and kind. I always wish I had got to know him better...