Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Marching forward 1-2-4-3, Banger time...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodfil, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

studebaker joe- the car belongs to one of the NorCal FAST members. That picture was taken at a NorCal Fast hill climb in Auburn. The blue tape holding the car number and class info is the giveaway here. I seem to remember the car lives in Livermore, Ca.

studebakerjoe likes this.
  2. Speedi D

Speedi D
    from Calif

Shops specializing in drive lines have special shouldered, hardened bolts for this application. In fact I think the bolts are a stock Ford item for "modern" flywheel/clutch assy's.

GuyW and 4BangerDean like this.
  3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kevin, could you share the part number/ or what the thermostat came out of? Thanks!

4. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Thats a good question… I put that thing in 10+ years ago! I’ll check it for numbers over the next couple days…

fur biscuit likes this.
  5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That model A has been around, remember seeing it in Classic and Sports Car over in England in the 90's.

6. Studebakerjoe, that car was featured in the 2013 #4 issue of FAST magazine. Owner at the time was Tim Sage.

7. Dan from Oakland

Dan from Oakland

Pretty sure that Tim still owns the car- I recall he told me that there is a fair amount of family history there.

studebakerjoe and fur biscuit like this.
  8. well i have been away for quite a while but i still have my model a and still like all the banger performance stuff.
    i picked up a frontenac model t ohv conversion last week and its missing some parts. ineed valve springs and keepers... anyone have an idea were to source them?

9. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Thanks guys for the info. I'm mostly curious about the parallel leaf front end under it. Anyone have the 2013 #4 FAST issue?

Outback likes this.
  10. According to the article the chassis is early Chevy.

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Ok, needing some help. Inserted B motor toasted the rear thrust washer. Got replacements from Mikes and they are the wrong size.

So it looks like thickness is correct. .25" What I removed was .2145, yeah that worn out but was not giving any issues.

The Id is good. 2.00 " and what I removed was 1.94
    The OD is way out. 2.88 and what I removed was 2.59

Does anyone have a way to get the correct size. Or do I need to tear this motor down all the way and open the rear thrust surface cutout up to accept these washers?

I don't have a lathe or machine shop in my garage so I am a bit limited.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

12. AZ_Nick

AZ_Nick

That's probably the old Continental Diesel thrust washer that was commonly used before the AER stuff came along. I'm away from the shop right now but someone one here or a search will turn up the part number. OD machine surface is not that critical as long as it captures in the machined pocket. You could scribe an arc 0.145" along the OD and carefully remove the excess with a belt sander and or file.

4BangerDean likes this.
  13. Slowly but surely! Time to start working on the gear and shaft situation. 338590284_1838057563246096_744587919599547054_n.jpeg

14. Jeff34

Jeff34

That winfield intake setup is GORGEOUS!

4BangerDean likes this.
  15. Jiminy

Jiminy

16. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@62pan thanks for that bit of information.

17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I scribed it and cut it down this morning. got it all installed, can only put a .004 feeler gauge in there now so i feel good with it.

Thanks. Yeah its probably some weird stuff for sure. It worked out good though. Thanks.

Outback likes this.
  18. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Thanks again for sending this. Do you know if I need to pre-register with someone?

19. Warmer 1932

Warmer 1932

Model B for sale on the ham.

Attached Files:

GuyW likes this.
  20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks, the April banger meet is up & happening, best to post it there;)