Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage March Meet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I've never been to the March Meet. I'm on vacation in Arizona, I could possibly swing another week off work to head over to the MM. The weather forecast doesn't look the greatest, but not the worst, either. Is it worthwhile? Who else from the HAMB is going? Thanks,

Joel

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. old sparks

old sparks

if you`ve never been it`s something you don`t want to miss. I`ve been going for 20 years and done pretty much everything. I`ve driven 7.0 pro and done clutch on nitro funnycar . can`t crew anymore due to a bad back but still wouldn't miss it . problem for you is getting a hotel. be careful with hotel, some areas around famoso are not the most secure. cheapest entry is buying a swap meet space

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I always skip the March Meet because the weather never seems to cooperate, and do the Hotrod reunion in October.
    But like you said you are on vacation, the forecast is rain Friday and cloudy for the weekend, hope all the moon and stars lineup for you.
    http://www.famosoraceway.com/schedule.htm

4. I try and go every year. It's worth the trip. Old Sparks is correct, it's cheapest to get a swap meet space and hang out in the swap meet area. I have a family friend that gets a space every year and we stay with him. the atmosphere (it's a big party) at the track at night is awesome! I just hope the weather holds out.

BigMike

5. robracer1

robracer1

Great drag racing, one of the best swap meets around, a good fun car show and a lot of neat vendors, Been 3 times in 5 years, the only problem is the weather, half the race rained out 2 times. Be sure to take warm and cold rainy weather clothes.
    If you are driving out I-40 to Bakersfield you may won't to stop at Lake Havasu AZ. for a very good big 32 Ford show with 1957 and older cars invited, March 1st 2nd and Saturday 3rd.
    Have fun!

6. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

If your that close you gotta come !! you won't regret it

robracer1 likes this.
  7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the info. Sounds awesome, so I'm going! What days is the swap meet?
    I have a self contained camper on the back of my pickup, so I'll just camp right on the site. No hotel worries for me.

8. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

All your info for onsite camping and swap spaces can be found here:
    http://www.famosoraceway.com/schedule.htm

9. squirrel

squirrel

I'll be in Tucson, having fun, as usual. There's some weird race going on there.

10. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

whats going on in tucson jim? I'm in florence right now

11. squirrel

squirrel

the hooptie thing. Lotsa junk, no traditional cars.

12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

joel.jpg camper.jpg

If you see this ugly mug or this dodge/arctic fox rig, be sure to introduce yourself!

Just Gary and squirrel like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Every year, around this time, things start rolling around my memory banks. Easter Vacation (Spring Break for modern youngsters) is coming up in a few weeks starting with college kids from all over, starting early. Then it is the massive amount of high schools varying their week-long vacation dismissals this year. After the vacation, they are hoping to get ready for the last final months of school for the year. But, by the time late April rolls around, they are already thinking of summer vacation. It happens every year.

What also happens in So Cal is that drag racers used to get ready for the annual Bakersfield Smokers’ drag race event that always happens in the first weekend of March. Ever since it happened in March of 1959, it has been a trek for most racers around the country to travel through those cow laden fields around Bakersfield, to race for the glory.

two teenagers exploring the race cars

We were involved in 1960 and made the trek to Bakersfield to see what was the big commotion happening on the other side of the Grapevine. The event, the drag racers, the race cars did not disappoint, as the excitement grew as we approached the entry gate. What laid out on the wide expanse of asphalt and concrete was one of the best displays of hot rod ingenuity for the times. Our Long Beach home area, Lions Dragstrip was really something every weekend, but this one in Bakersfield is the best of the best.(in those beginning years.)

Dragsters from the biggest names in drag racing from across the country were there. Most of the top So Cal racers in all of the classes were there. This included a Bixby Knolls, young guy, named Gary Gabelich in his first Altered Fiat Sedan rolling through the class like he was on fire.
    Gary Gabelich

It was an event to remember and we tried to document as much as we could for this all day event. The day started and ended with a very long drive to/ from Long Beach to Bakersfield.

Jnaki

Consequently, this early March event spurred us to build a faster Willys Gas Coupe for racing at Lions and the hopes of towing the 671 SBC Willys coupe through the Grapevine to meet all comers at the 1961 Smokers’ March Meet. That trek was not to be... It was over by January 1961. 58 years is a long time ago … But, it seems like it was just last week. Memories and old age play tricks on the mind.

upload_2019-2-21_3-47-32.png

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019