Register now to get rid of these ads!

March banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Mar 1, 2009.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i dont think its been started yet so here it is . finally putting the new motor in today . yea been talkin about it all winter , but gonna put it in today while watchin the cup race . that is if it dont rain out . got 1" last nite since dark . still pouring here .................... steve

2. Heading out to the hanger to start tearing my front end apart. New pins, bushings, EZ-steer kit, balls, shackels and 40 juice brakes. Any last minute advice before I start? Luke

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

read the instructions on the ez steer kit ! important ! have fun ........ steve

4. Gone over them about a dozen times ;,) I'm anticipating bruises and blood as I don't think any of it has been apart in 78 years! Bought a Speedway adapter kit for the brakes. Speedway isn't good about including instructions with anything they sell. Wish me luck!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I picked up a Vertex mag with a tach drive recently. It is out of a Pontiac super duty engine. I don't know if I will modify it to fit in the stock distributor location or make an angled drive of of the front timing cover.
    Other then that, nothing new, just enjoying driving the banger.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Went for a ride in my RPU yesterday. Had to have the wife drive me as I can't work the clutch. Damn thing has to be at summer drive heat level on the moto-meter or it stumbles, opened up the intermediate screw and that helped some. Guess I'll have to sort thought the pile and pick out another carburetor. I have a repop Al Winfield head and area where the distributor hold down bolt goes through is very thin and the "B" distributor works loose. It can't get out but just does a little dance when the engine is running. Maybe that is part of the backfiring problem.
    I told her yesterday that I was going to take the coupe and she could have the RPU. Problem is I don't know if I can get in and out of the coupe. I have all of the original 1960 Tijauna upholstery that we took out of it. I bought a set of "Pony " buckets but they are too wide. I plan on running a Torqueflite in the coupe behind my 4 port if I ever get it back. Seems like everytime I get a call on it some thing else is cracked or worn out. Apparently the engine didn't have any pressure oiling to the rocker arms so it was run without oil to them by some one so they are badly worn. It had a double valve springs and that just increased the pressure on the rockers. Engine was supposedly set up for a sprint car. I suppose this is more than you need to know about what I'm doing but that is what is.

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    Is Taylor Engine doing the 4 port?
    How are they doing over there?

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so my dreams of bangin' have been kyboshed by the estate attourneys. After being given a clear go head, and that everything was ok. c'est la vie.

I have another project on the back burner, but I don't want to think about it, lest I jinx it too.

:(

9. Yes, Taylor Engine is working on my head. As far as I know everything is fine with them. There was always a lot of work in the shop and the same people are doing the various operations. Actually Shane Hill is the one I have been speaking to. Shane drove my modified at the Antique Nationals last year. He was about to take the rocker arms to be built up and decided to check the stands and found they were cracked on the rear side. That would seem to be just the opposite of the way I would think the stress would be.

10. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Not much from me this last month, aside from fitting a new set of cast drums on the front of my Touring. Instead, been busting a gut getting my website out into the big wide world.
    www.flatheadmeltdown.com
    Mostly V8's but plenty to keep banger guys happy too.

11. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

What a site! The Stromberg speedster has to be where it's at! and the English at their most eccentric! Love it! .

12. Hello all!
    I did a trade with a fella a week or so ago, and ended up with a Model A 'thing' (will go into the 'thing' stuff at a later date). This is my first banger, so please take it easy on me :)
    I pulled the the pan/sump to fix the leaks front and rear, and also to inspect the internals, all looks good, with a fresh rebuild, new pistons, new cam, adj lifters, Lion head, elec ingnition................but skimped on new seals and gaskets ?????????????

Anyway, you will see me pop up now and then with some questions, but more importantly updates on the changes I will be making to it.

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Model A 'thing'
    i hope you checked the "center main" ! its the weak spot . no shims is bad news ... steve

14. Steve, I still have the sump/pan off, so what should I check? To see if the centre main has shims? Please explain!
    Thanks again on the answering my rope seal question, it is soaking as we browse.

15. Artiki, congratulations on getting the new site up and running, it looks fantastic!:eek::D

16. Wildfire

Wildfire

Found most of my parts after the move, except for the intake manifold. That one is sort of important!

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ok , best to just pull the center main . no biggy . check to see how many if any shims are left . the center main wears out first (normally) because of crank whip . i would plastigauge the center main while apart . be sure to retorque . you have to put a wrench on the top of the bolts so they dont spin . i know , what a pain in the butt . but i have lost 2 motors to a bad center main . they dont like high rpm for very long as the crank gets a whipping motion . you can email me @ .... [email protected] anytime ............. steve ........... i love the 4 bangers , just a few quirks ....

18. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Darren - when's the next flathead meltdown?

19. shock

shock

Its march in Michigan......come on spring !!!!
    [​IMG]

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice motor ! i have a dual updraft like that ! i think they are neat ! my motor ....

[​IMG]

cant wait to drive it ! ............ steve

21. swap meets have been good to me lately
    last month it was the ported big valved b motor with a mag.
    and now its just the second of march and i picked up an ansen down draft with a stromberg and an adapter for a v8 water pump to my lions head
    now its just got to get a bit warmer so i can work in my garage
    alos in the process of putting a new motor in my dads 30 coupe (stock) and 2 full on restos
    28 blind back and a 28 pheaton
    tk

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yea i would say your busy ............. steve

23. I got my B Winfield rebuilt yesterday. Bought a kit off the guy on Ebay, nice quality stuff. I am throwing my 29 roadster together (litterally) with the old engine and trans out of my coupe. The Winfield will go on it, and I may put a C head on. I have one laying around, just need to get a waterpump. How much of a difference does the C head make on a stock model A? I got lucky with the Winfield in the fact of that adapter that came with it is Model A bolt pattern and inlet size, so it should be a bolt on!

Heres the engine and the carb patiently waiting :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And heres the frame and front/rear end. The front end is the stock one also from my coupe. I bought the rear end last weekend, has been in a dry barn since the 60's!!! The rear end would barly turn over when I got it, so I poured 1/2 gallon of paint thinner in it and started rotating it. It cleaned it right up, now it spins over great. It's standing up on end now draining all that crap out of it. This will all be a 29 roadster very soon ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. loogy

loogy

I drove my first banger powered Model A last Friday! Timing lever up, throttle lever three notches down, gearbox in neutral, carburetor adjusting rod one full turn to counterclockwise, pull back on the carburetor adjusting rod, heal of the foot on the throttle and finally, the toe of the foot pushes the starter button. VROOOOM, chugg, chugg, chugg, chugg, chugg!!!!
    Talk about a cool experience!

25. Gaters

Gaters

Motors back together, running and dropped into the frame. I tell you, with the original modifications they did back in the day, I find quirky little differences that'll throw me in a different direction every time I reattach something. But I'm gettin' close. I know, I turned my stacks around

Chris

Attached Files:

26. Simon

Simon
    from London, UK

Well - I got my new 16" wires on with some nice Pie crust Firestone whitewalls - went of to the NSRA swap meet to sell some old banger stuff that I had sitting around..

Made some Cash..... Great

I now need to start work on the overdrive unit.

The joy continues.

27. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

lookin good Gaters!
    I wana see that thing moving under its own power!

not a whole lot exciting for me here in PA
    Got the T all taken apart, Working on cleaning things and trying to figure out what to do with the motor. Once its set in stone as to a flathead or overhead then i can start moving forwards and hopefully get it done in short order
    everything sure is small and light on a T
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had ALOT of fun last year with this stock model-A chassis, bolted together a roadster body on it. Then put it up for sale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and now........ Its in FRANCE!!
    maybe Henri & Sylvie will join up and post updates for us all on here from time to time.
    The e-mail I recieved said
    "Our car arrived at Le Havre's Port in good shape and like you discribed it. Look the happy faces of the owners !
    Henri will try to finish your work in a Duke Hallock spirit."
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. Zach, they look pretty excited! Will be cool to see how they finish it up!

29. retro54

retro54
    from PA

awesome to see that they bothered to send you pictures zach... looking good, I know they'll love it... even more since you're an international star in France and all... :)

30. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

steve, whats the story behind your side cover??? Me likey!!! :D