Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2018 Banger Meet - Equinox Time***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've often wondered why the Lotus 7 & 11 style chassis wasn't used on Hot Rod builds. Larger tube, with a Roadster body sure would give a slammed channeled look to things. Bob

Outback likes this.
  2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Bob, check out Limey Kids 25 T sports rod build on here.

3. RussTee

RussTee

Yes thats the sort of thing though I am not going to limit myself to the body style look at the Edwardian Aero engined races and base the body loosely there also look at the modification to axels ect those fifties English special racers used way ahead of most American hotrods of the time sure the hotrod had raw power of the v8 its like compareing a corvette too a formula. one car today. Why you may ask well I have the parts for nothing it is a challenge motors not much different than my B motors on a small scale I have overhead conversions and period speed parts so it will be a challenge but most importantly will be a fun car wait to you guys look up the antics of sporting trials cars talk about fun with your pants on but I am sure we could do better.

Outback likes this.
  4. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

RussTee, sounds very cool. I love specials it's very interesting to see the different ideas come up with by the builders. I remember learning about the 100e Willment head from Sports Cars Illustrated that my best friends dad had subscribed to.

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

BOB

THINK ALLARD......

ZOFIA OWNS A 750 CLUB TROPHY CAR

750 2.JPG 750 3.JPG

I BROUGHT IT BEFORE MOST 750 GUYS GAVE A SHIT ABOUT OBSOLITE CARS

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Old Dawg and Outback like this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Joe, I'll check that out. I have a sad Lotus 11 story to tell but this might not the forum for it. Bob

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF7532.JPG Big brother to the 750. Bob

Attached Files:

fur biscuit and Old Dawg like this.
  8. Not open up another can o worms, but here is proof that proper corner radius is critical on crankshaft journals.
    Here is the driveshaft from water brake, notice lack of corner radius just where the separation occurs.
    Foiled again, but she was a singing good just before the rev limiter took over.

IMG_0439.JPG

J

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

damn your tuff on parts ...

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

hope this works

fur biscuit, Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

John,
    Yes, I agree that the corner radii was too small. It also looks like there had been a crack there for some time.

Looking at the yoke half of the break, the lower quadrant of the break is darker. If that is not just an illusion or a shadow. The dark section of the failure is an indication that there was a crack there from before.

Old Dawg likes this.
  12. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Looks to be a substantial defect in the bottom of pictured part ! But , how does a guy ever know of that ...unless it's used and gives way ?? Do you think having that part tested (mag) have revealed that ?

Old Dawg and Outback like this.
  13. It was probably not a crack, if you look straight down on it no discoloration. Usually if cracked there will be a dull finish or even rust.
    This would appear to be a welded junction, inertia weld or friction type, hence the lack of radius.

Now to find a billet piece or change the whole design. J

Old Dawg likes this.
  14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I HAVE A VERY NICE PAPERWEIGHT TOO. IT'S A BILLET THAT THE KIDS GMC TWISTED

YOUR MAKING HP STUFF FAILS....

15. Thanks Bluto, I guess it is symbol of success.
    It will definately be displayed on the wall in the office.

J

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

YOUR WELCOME

AT LEAST IT DIDN'T BREAK OUT IN THE WORLD AND HURT YOU.....

NOW YOU NEED TO FIND A BUGATTI BLOWER TO USE AS DOORSTOP TO MAKE YOUR OFFICE COMPLETE.

I ALSO LEARNED FROM ISKY TO CARRY STUFF AROUND IN MY CAR TILL I FIGURED OUT AN ANSWER! KINDDA LIKE COACH MAKING YOU CARRY THE FOOTBALL AROUND AFTER YOU DROPPED IT....

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does anyone have any photos of the pink #69 Stagger Valve Fronty that Jim Frankland raced and later restored in the 1980's? I've tried all the work searcheds and found nothing. It did exist, I stood next to it and talked to Jim about it,. just can't find as photo. Thanks! Bob

18. Truckster17

Truckster17

Hello,

I'm looking at a Cragar (Miller) 8V head for an A or B, comes with valve cover two pot intake and core 81's?, header, water pump & distributor. Push rods are hacked, one guide has been changed, tappets missing. its about 20% less than new, but will need work and I'd guess some pieces were repro's from long ago. Should I just buy a new setup because its aluminum and ready to bolt on? Original is... original though.

Thank you HAMB!

Attached Files:

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB. some of us like the originals over the new one, that one has a great intake manifold. Bob

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

it appears by your description you are looking at a major , costly endeavor . for 20% I would buy new so as to have all the parts needed .

21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

PM me(or 707-676-0222) I was married to H.O. Manges' daughter prior to her passing(he was Frankland's original driver before he was killed in the car) & I have a bunch of pictures from when Jim sent it out to CA in the '90s prior to his death. PS : It wasn't 'pink', it was a red/brown Chevrolet color.

Outback likes this.
  22. I would check to see how accurate the new ones are. You may be able to use parts form them to build the old one. May be a stupid suggestion as I am not knowledgeable on the old ones

23. Try this again. Is the BB worth keeping? got it in a trade. I run B motors.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does it use a B pan or something special? Bob

25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

As stated above, I would talk to Steve Serr ( http://www.millerhi-speedheads.com/index.html ) and confirm if the parts he supplies are compatible to get this original head going.

Or maybe try Dan Price http://www.dan4banger.com/products.html from his website

"Rocker Arm Assembly

Rocker arm assembly for the original Miller/Cragar heads, new shaft, stands, Austin Healy rocker arms provide a 1:42 rocker arm ratio. Compare this to the originals that were 1:25 to 1 and this will provide a 15% increase in valve lift, ready to go on your head.
    $500.00* "

Also, at 20% less than new, does this take into account the intake manifold, carbs etc or just the head itself??

I have one of Steve's Miller OHV and it goes great, but an original would be cool.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Andrew Mccann likes this.
  26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have an original and had a Crower make new push rods for about $90 for eight. 5E56AD12-9086-48E7-B916-47E8E15BC141.jpeg

waxhead likes this.
  27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

OFF THE WALL
    golden sahara.jpg golden sahara2.jpg

missing for 50 yrs , the golden sahara is up for sale at mecum actions this year . a true George barris custom

28. noboD

noboD

I never realized the Golden Sahara was banger powered.

ROCKER77, Crazydaddyo and Jiminy like this.
  29. walls

walls

^^^neat car regardless^^^

I just put headers on an A motor. Lion head, stromberg, B cam I believe, and no other work from what I can tell.

Will a single 1-3/4 pipe be too small?

The flange that came with the header is 2”, but I’d like to run 1-3/4 with no muffler.
    Idea here being, smaller diameter pipe, less obnoxious volume level.
    Would I be throwing away any “performance” that the headers are providing?

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

should not make any difference unless your racing , even then small .