Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2018 Banger Meet - Equinox Time***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I had a machine shop shorten my driveshaft. Cut a shoulder in one side and center bored the other to fit together the. They welded it up. I shorted my torque tube my self. I took all the material out of the straight part. I started by drawing a line down the tube. Then used my chop saw and cut it. I made sure I started the saw blade touching the line. So when I made the second cut I made sure if there was any angle on my cheap tool it would be the same. Then I chamfered the ends and clamped them of a big piece of angle iron making sure the line I drew lined up . Then welded it up. Hope that helps.

Old Dawg likes this.
  2. Save the date! It might be wise to pre-register as this event is growing rapidly in popularity. FAST2018.jpg

Outback likes this.
  3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks John, that was the path I was getting ready to take other than I was going to try to mill new splines on the shortened drive shaft. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

G Baese likes this.
  4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

fast is having a hill climb in auburn ca.

Old Dawg likes this.
  5. Right! We're recipients of the No. Cal. F.A.ST. newsletter. I've not gone to the Auburn events as they've so far been held on weekends that I've been racing elsewhere. However, there've been a number of Central Coast F.A.S.T. members that regularly go. My car and engine are not set up for straight, standing start racing. This photo is of the second turn (the "Andretti" at Laguna Seca) after the start. Ours is the car passing the 1931 Alfa Romeo #31 on the outside. Two ERA's are leading just ahead of us (out of the picture). Miller-Scofield-RMMR.jpg

6. lake_harley

lake_harley

Old Dawg likes this.
  7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

very cool . I would not hill climb it either

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

JOHN

I ALWAYS THOUGHT USING THE STEERING WHEEL TO GO LEFT AND RIGHT WAS ALWAYS MORE FUN THAT USING THE STEERING WHEEL TO GO STRAIGHT. NEITHER OF THOSE BMWS WERE CUSTOMERS OF MINE OR YOU WOULD HAVE HAS MORE OF A CHALLENGE THAN A DUMB OLD ALFA.:rolleyes:

9. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

If you run an open drive with the t5 , make sure you add a torque rod from the qc to the front of the rear control arms
    Skip

10. lake_harley

lake_harley

Noted, and thank you. I've seen numerous warnings that stock A radius rods by themselves were not intended to control torque, nor will they hold up to it. I'll definitely do something to handle the torque if I do end up going open driveline.

Thanks

Lynn

11. Yeah Jim! I usually put the "Beemers" away rather handily, including a lightweight 1935 special. Each time they shift, I gain a car length. However, to come out first a guy's gotta finish. I think had I been a customer of yours, I've finished more races!

Outback likes this.
  12. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

20171104_153355.jpg 20171104_153642.jpg I like my wires,but was thinking of changing them to white.
    Skip

Outback, Tiny, waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

^ I'm not sure I would change anything^

Tiny likes this.
  14. lake_harley

lake_harley

Dustyp489..... I too think the PU looks great as-is. But, if you're considering a change on the wheel color, how about a rich cream color rather than stark white. Your call though. It's all about personal preferences.

Lynn

15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11735597-D2D0-48E6-8769-8AC1F218C719.jpeg 1E36D5E0-1CFD-4CC7-AA84-A1C8BA504C2C.jpeg 2BA911CF-6BA2-4B4E-8233-BD4075A5711C.jpeg Havent checked in for awhile....getting ready to install 39 tranny this spring...a pic from the Santa Margarita time trials...slowest car there, but who cares. Will be going back this year as well as Auburn hill climbs.

Outback, 52 ford coe, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

ive seen this car in auburn . nice car & runs good for a heavy car .

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

If you run an open drive with the t5 , make sure you add a torque rod from the qc to the front of the rear control arms

I run simple hairpins front & rear with open drive shaft . I did find a small brace on top where hair pins bracket is mounted is insurance against torque trying to tear open the rear end .

Old Dawg likes this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

We welded 1/4" stock on the stock wishbone seam and it has worked for 10 years. DSC03540.JPG

Jet96 likes this.
  19. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks....you introduced yourself there...always fun meeting HAMBers.

Old Dawg likes this.
  20. joemac05

joemac05

Do you have any pictures of how the wishbone front and rear ends look?

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I used a set for a hill climber , straightened out & strengthen . hair pins are ez & clean

[​IMG]

nice p/u .

22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Sorry it took a couple of days to get a picture. I haven’t measured the cc of the combustion chambers but they are smaller than about any I have seen. No number stamped on the pad and it had 14mm plug holes.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96 and burl like this.
  23. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Twisted my rear rods into two different direction. I am running Derek's QC and a T5, 3in drive shaft. Took VF4'S lead and got another pair of rods ,then reinforce them. Only had time for a short test run before parking the A for the winter. Come on spring
    Skip

24. walls

walls

Couple questions
    Installing a tube header and a fuel pump

Where can I purchase extended/longer studs for the headers/carb?
    Edited: found them at Red’s

What thread size is the sediment bowl?
    I’d like to remove it an run a hard line down to the frame rail to hide the fuel pump.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  25. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I used ‘40 radius rods on my coupe. I am running an closed drive shaft but the later rods are good because they are heavier than stock A ones. They mount underneath the axle so they work well with my frame with a Z in the rear. Here are a couple of pictures. I also had to show off my parking brake cable pass through I made too.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chriseakin, Jet96, burl and 3 others like this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I'm running a lion 3 speed head . it has great pull .
    These IRON heads are (+ -) 135 cc chambers = approximately 7.3:1 compression ratio (CR). lion 3 head.jpg

the chambers maybe smaller than the Winfield . would have to cc both to know .

with lion head stock , pistons not coming out of deck ..... I have 126# per cylinder . not a math dude but like my head !!! ........... if you can tell me (out of curiosity) what you guys think ..........

Binger likes this.
  27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you do nice work ! 03bd496f0d0f8f870587586f860d9e1b.jpg

Binger and The37Kid like this.
  28. joemac05

joemac05

Very nice and thanks for the pictures. I want to modify my '28 and I'm looking for any ideas I can find. I'm thinking open drive line of some sort but who knows where I'll end up. I have a T-5 out of a Mustang I can use but I'm not decided yet. I know the '39 trans if staying in for this summer.

Binger likes this.
  29. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit