Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2017 Banger Meet - The Luck of the 4 Banger***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. I am going to get crap for saying this, but here it goes.
    I am the laziest mechanic/machinist around, meaning, I don't follow all the blah blah blah procedures for how you are supposed to do something. Remove firing indicator pin, reverse, put in hole rotate until you find bump, blah blah blah.
    The simplest way to see if your are on #1 is to take the plug out and hold your palm flat over the hole while having someone YOU TRUST bump the motor over. Do NOT stick your finger in the hole, this applies to more than just sparkplug holes, I'll let someone else explain that to you. Trust me, you will know when #1 is in compression stroke, don't try to hold it back, now bump it up to TDC. make the distributor line up with that wire and you are golden.

I learned this trick after watching a "motor builder" get a Chev V8 dist in for a Kid who took it out but didn't pay attention. He paid attention after that, after burning up a nice Holley carb.

John

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  2. That might be, @hotrodfil - are those rare?
    Will have the smith at work fill it further, hoping for a 7:1 ration, but not if it worth a million.

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Like John sez ;)
    No reason to over-complicate things...... I've been waiting for some time for someone to mention the old thumb over the spark plug hole technique.

Once you do get it running you could use a vacuum gauge to set the timing, mixture, etc..... to highest vacuum and drive it.

Old Dawg likes this.
  4. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took some better (or brigther at least!) pictures, when it landed on the welding table.

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

5. I know I have Top dead center, I am making sure where the rotor should be for firing number one. Again I picturing it with the part of the distributor nearest the carb as 6:00

6. distrib-1.jpg
    OK, you have TDC, is it on compression stroke or transition EX to IN? At this point, you have nothing to lose by removing dist and rotating 180°.
    As shown here, the rotor would be 4:30 ish position.
    This is just an air pump with flammable liquid, air and fire. Assuming that mechanically they are timed somewhat in the proper sequence, it will do something.
    Best of Luck, John

Old Dawg likes this.
  7. I still remember the day I learned that trick, I wasn't even in High School yet, dodge it was a long time ago.
    The other way to do it by yourself is to remove plugs 2,3 and 4. Hit the starter, you'll know.
    J

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. See? I knew it was probably something stupid. Like you said get my head out of the book and logic through it. The crank goes around twice to complete one cycle right? So the distributor makes one revolution for every two revolutions of the crank? I bet it IS set to fire on the exhaust stroke. Thanks.

9. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Don't forget that the point cam is adjustable. You don't have to remove the distributor to set the rotor in the right spot. loosen the screw in the center of the point cam and you can rotate it until it is were you want it.

10. Yes, that I know.
    If I recall the Model B has a pin that keeps the body of the distributor from moving.

11. So, smithy will not weld that much, because he's got a thin rod. Bugger!
    But he will clean it up for me, and weld a few spots and flaws in it... need to find a big rod later, I guess (that's what she said!).

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Danner

You can stitch it with screw-in plugs

Do a Google Search ..... "metal stitching" If the casting is too week the head will crack it more.

I use "iron-tight" this is hot resin circulated under pressure and then close the exit ..... keeping the pump going then close in entrance. Turn off the pump. We even keep Bugatti blocks for sweating thru their shut castings.

I have used it to fix a lot of prewar stuff

Range Rover guys use it poured into the cooling system to cure head gaskets

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  13. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

No crap from me I use a pencil, eraser side down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr and Old Dawg like this.
  14. I am sorry, but I wasn't clear enough (and for adding an "n" to ratio); the head seems ok, nothing that I am worried about.
    But I was hoping to fill the combustion chambers to create my own high(er) comp-head - it was done to the one, I have in my tudor, when found on a swap meet (stock left, welded on the right):
    [​IMG]
    I'll just have to keep looking for a blacksmith, who will take on that task.

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Find a guy with a CNC mill. You can make your own head. First carve out the heads underside including the
    Water passage openings ..... turn it over and mill the passages. Then make a finned top for the head. Next you can pin them together, seal them and and smile.

16. They are redoing the flooring on the other side of the wall on the right side of my desk, to have it ready for, when the 4-axis machine comes... ;)
    ... but that's not pre-'47 parts, as required at the Rømø race.

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

How do they know? I've done several race cars that customers only had at best 2/3 of and you have to guess the rest. Many times people have come up checked the car and said "This is the only original one I have ever seen!" You just got to be good at it. A Degree in Art History helps and 56 years of doing this shit.

You just have to think some........;)

williebill and Dannerr like this.
  18. They might not - but I will, and winning by bending/breaking the rules is just cheating. :)

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I understand ...... Your going to add NEW metal
    I knew a guy with a 4 valve Two Cam head pattern for a T-Ford. He designed/built it as a kid. Making a new one would be cheating too?

I could never afford anything I wanted so I had to buy a broken one with stuff missing and make it.

I went to China to talk to them about getting the oldest car in Asia running. We had a big meeting at the museum. The Director said two me "Your going to use new parts?" Yes I said. It's an automobile it has more dimensions than just sitting there. It runs, makes noise, shakes..... Smells. And I asked him "Do you ever use the wonderful old wagons here?" "Yes" He said. And I asked "Is their value reduced because you don't have the original horse?" he told his staff to give this man anything he wants...... Sometimes the what you got to do to preserve history has few rules. OR IT SITS THERE SILENT...... NEVER TO RUN AGAIN!

Gravity isn't nice but it's the law :rolleyes:

20. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

“Tradition is a guide and not a jailer.”

William Somerset Maugham

Dannerr and Jiminy like this.
  21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Without people "flexing" the interpretation of the rules advancement in motorsports would be very slow.

Read about this guy:
    Smokey Yunick

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  22. Jiminy

Jiminy

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Please remember there will ALWAYS be some old guy that can beat you without cheating.

It is actually "Traditional" that there are NO RULES. Otherwise NONE OF THIS SPEED STUFF WOULD EVER BEEN MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017