Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MAP/Oxy Torch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jun 13, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Picked up this freebie at the recycle. Still some MAP but no Oxy. Worth playing with?

0613191559_HDR.jpg

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

you can solder and silver solder with it , it aint cheap compared to large tanks but it has its place
    dave

blowby likes this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They can be as handy as a shirt pocket, and agreed, great for silver solder. Fair warning, the tanks don't last long so have 1/2 again as much as you think you'd use...:eek:

blowby likes this.
  4. I have a set
    I’ve used it for heating up seized parts
    Soldering etc.

The oxygen goes quick
    It’s handy for sure

But don’t expect big tank performance

blowby likes this.

5. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I considered one of these before I bit the bullet and bought a "full size" oxygen/acetylene welder (henrob type torch). These small torches would have been expensive to buy gas for and the torch kit costs quite a bit so to me it didn't make sense.

But since you got the kit for free and just need to get the gas, you have a very different situation - not sure what the gas tanks cost in your area but you should be able to have that up and running for the cost of a couple of pizzas.
    I believe they can heat a relatively small area to fairly high heat, unlike regular fuel-air torches (propane or MAP and air) that have a cooler and bigger flame, heating slower and spreading the heat over bigger areas. Sometimes you want to heat a large area, sometimes you just need to heat a small spot, different torches work for different situations.

Assuming you don't have a real O/A torch I'd say you should get it up and running, and try it out. You can't have too many tools, and sometimes you really need the focused heat of a oxygen/fuel flame.

VANDENPLAS and blowby like this.
  6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

m 2 cents you light the torch an the oxygen is gone , get a set of hobby torches or a trades set on a cart if you want to get any use out of it i never had any luck with the set i tried

blowby likes this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

That little oxy cylinder is good for about 10 minutes of use once the valve is opened. It makes the map gas work at a higher temp, but not for very long. Might be OK if you need quick higher heat then straight map gas can give you, but it gets pretty costly pretty quickly.
    If you want to play with a torch, buy the real thing with the bigger cylinders. These small cylinders won't last long enough to learn anything. Gene

VANDENPLAS, blowby and Blue One like this.