Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manufacturer buyback disclosure?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jesse1980, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jesse1980

jesse1980

Just bought a real clean 50 year old car, I got the title in the mail and it says manufacturer buyback disclosure on file. Title is a clean title, not salvage either, what's this mean.

2. Never heard of it,, HRP

3. AG F/C

AG F/C

Dig around the stated DMV website. Bet there is some mention of it there.
    I have never heard of thet either.

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

It is part of the LEMON LAW. Consumer's Advocate stuff . Each state has different rules . Do a search. Bill aka Tnomoldw

5. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

I've seen this once--it was a lemon law thing, where after a certain number of failed attempts to fix the problem, GM had to buy back the vehicle instead. But I'm very surprised to hear of it on a vehicle old enough to be HAMB-friendly.

6. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe the disclosure is on the title paper and most states seem to have only one title form for everything .

7. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

This should help... check the link below.
    "The manufacturer is required to obtain a new title with a brand or stamp: “Manufacturer Buyback-Disclosure On File.”
    This stamp or brand should remain on the vehicle’s title for the life of the vehicle. The first time a dealer sells a replaced
    or repurchased lemon, the dealer must provide the buyer with:
    • Written notice, at the time of sale, that the vehicle was repurchased or replaced under the Lemon Law
    • A 12-month or 12,000 mile manufacturer’s warranty
    People failing to comply with the buy-back disclosure and title branding requirements are subject to enforcement action
    by the attorney general’s office. However, the Lemon Law does not permit the attorney general to represent consumers​
    in seeking a refund or a replacement vehicle."

http://www.indianaconsumer.com/consumer_guide/pub/20050802.5.pdf

Steve

8. jesse1980

jesse1980

I don't know what it means. DMV said the car is to old to pull stuff up. The car was raced all its life. Very clean body. It's a original 1963 pontiac Catalina 421 4 speed. One of 320 made according to Pontiac historical society, I thought maybe it was raced by the dealer and then bought back and resold. It has a old blue metal flake paint job on it and a custom functional dual scoop hood. I'll get pics up tonight.

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

Maybe someone bought it, beat the $hit out of it and it kept breaking and they didn't say anything about beating on it and Pontiac had to buy it back. I'm the third owner

10. As an actual dealer I can give you some insight.

First off, as mentioned, this normally means a "Lemon Law" car.

However, I have never heard of and don't believe the Lemon Law was in effect 50 years ago.

With that said I can only see 2 aspects here. The first and most likely is that the car was recently sold by a dealer that had to buy it back for whatever reason (mis-represented, unrepairable issue, etc.). The other is that it may have been, at one time, a "factory backed" race car which was returned after use.

11. Possibly put on the title by the DMV by error? I cannot immagine why a 50-year-old car would have a "lemon-law" title. I'd raise holy hell about it.

A "branded" title has more implications then one might think down the road.

For example, some insurance companies will refuse to insure a car with a branded title, or if they do insure, it will be at higher cost.

12. ^ ^ ^ That's only on salvage history vehicles. ^ ^ ^

13. jesse1980

jesse1980

It's not a salvage title. I know that for sure.

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

The lemon law didn't start until 1977. So it's not that.

15. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

If its like modern X cars you get from manufacturers they can never be sold so they go back to the manufacturer for they amount it was bought for. Which isn't always the case. Mostly applies to race cars and show cars. Most usually find themselves in the crusher.

16. Apparently you did not read...... V V V

17. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

The Lemon Law also covered USED cars .....Bill aka Tnomoldw

18. Sounds like a DMV fuck-up.

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

Well it wasn't used dealer sold, I bought the car from the nephew of the original owner. The title was from 1964. I called the bmv yesterday and they said that the brand was carried over from Illinois from the title from 64. It's not salvage and its still a clear title they said. Oh well I just wanted some feedback on the issue. I still love the car.

20. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

Even in the early 80's there was no lemon law. Mom had a late 70's Buick regal and the automatic trans kept going out and no matter how many times she took it back, no replacement. All they told her was sorry lady. She was forever turned off from gm ever since.

Connecticut was the first in 82

21. rustang

rustang

I want to see the pictures......

When we raced sleds, the manufacturer sent the race sleds to the distributor, at the end of the season all sleds went back to the distributor/factory to be scrapped or re-sold.... it's possible that this car could have been factory backed at one time, if it went back to the factory, they could not sell it as new, so maybe this is how they would work the title.....
    Tom

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What did you buy? I may have missed it, seems that there is more information that needs to be told. 50 year old car. In NY they're lucky if the know what year it was (50 years old)

Pat

24. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

That's what I was thinking too. If it was a factory race car, it may have not been titled for some years after manufacture and this may have been a way the state DMV figured they could straighten out the title. If it does document this car being a factory race car, it could be of value.....like Barrett Jackson madness value.

25. jesse1980

jesse1980

I'm going to the Pontiac, olds , swap meet tommarow to look for parts. I will take my camera in the morning and post pics when I get home . Car is awesome.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

After searching on Google (doesn't anyone else) that would be it. It doesn't subtract from the cars value NOW. I would suspect it was a factory race car, retired and sold, but misrepresented when sold by a dealer. Probably a dealer who didn't know it's history or didn't want it's history to ruin the deal.

A little more research by the OP could possibly yield very nice results. I'd like to see some pics.

27. I bought my 06 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 in 07,it was a factory buy back. the dealer told me what was wrong and that the factory fixed it. I paid 6,000 under book for it and have had no trouble with it. There was no stamps on the title.
    Lee

28. That would be cool history

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

Kicking this back to the top and hoping the OP gets some pics. Very interesting car. Sounds like a factory 'provided' car if not directly sponsered. Pontiac was deep into racing in this period with the light weights, etc, on the national level. This car sounds like a low prodution model intended for local & regional competition to keep the Pontiac name up front & relivent, while the big guns competed at the national events. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday, as it were. It would be cool to find some documentation to it's original delivery, ect.

30. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

Jesse1980 get a hold of the guy that owns / runs the Pontiac museum in Pontiac Il. I would bet he can help you out. And if its a factory race car He would really
    like to hear about it.