Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Manual trans in a 56 Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Derek Mitchell, May 20, 2013.

1. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I acquired a 56 Olds last year in a trade, and just got around to going and taking a look at the car. It's at a buddies house a few hours away as I don't have a spot to keep it down here. When I got there I was a little disappointed in its condition, rougher than I thought. But then...

I noticed it had a clutch pedal, and a stick shift column. I didn't know that Olds had offered a stick in those years, I thought they were all autos. I did find one bit of info on the stick, it was a "delete for credit" option, but that's about all I can find.

So the big question is, does anyone know how many were made? How rare are they? And does that make it worth more than a Deusenberg? Probably not, but a guy can dream.

2. I just sold the six-bolt selector trans from a 57-58 Olds for $300 in good shape.

They're not common but they're not that uncommon and I believe you could get a manual trans into the 1960s if not later.

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

4. F&J

F&J

There are more transmissions out there, compared to a car that was a stick, and still has the pedals and column.

Those pedals fit 54-56 only, and there is a bell crank ahead of the pedals, which is also hard to find. You did not say if the engine/trans is still in the car, so that part probably is missing if the engine is out.

5. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

No engine and trans. Not sure what's going to happen to the car yet. Guess I just never seen one and it caught my curiosity.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not too long ago there was a three speed 56 Olds on the HAMB classifieds for sale.

7. PackardV8

PackardV8

There were a few. The last stick shift Olds I saw was a '58 two-door sedan. The dealer ended up selling it to an employee cousin of mine below cost because it wouldn't move off the lot to a retail customer.

jack vines