Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual trans help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rc.grimes, Sep 27, 2010.

1. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I picked up a 57 Chevy 150 recently and plan to initially use one of the small blocks I have. The big issue is I want to use a manual trans. I don't have faith that a T5 will hold up and especially since I will eventually be swapping to a big block.
    Is there a particular site or resource that will help me ID 4 speeds?
    Info on strength differences between units?
    Any tips or info on pros/cons of different units would be great.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If it were me, I'd adapt the Ford T&C Toploader to it...bulletproof.

3. pdq67

pdq67

I figure a stock M-20 wide ratio or M-21, close ratio Muncie will do you nicely here. Until you get your next BB engine to hook, then you may need to step up to a "High-Zoot" Muncie Supercase with a steel mid-plate and all the other goodieslike the Italian gearset.

Again imho, I figure one will be good to a schosh over 600 T if you choose the close ratio gear set and behind a stoud BB.

Of course like mentioned by Flat Ernie, a Rug Top-Loader or even an old MOPAR A833 will also do nicely and I've researched this to death!

The thing about the Muncie is that it is stock, the other two will need a kit to install them.

pdq67

4. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Is there a good site to get ID codes for the Muncie? Any help in ID'ing them and condition checks would be great. I know they run a chunk of change so I want to make sure I know what to avoid as well as what to hunt for.

5. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Is there pro's/cons to the Super T10?

6. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I run a Saginaw 4 speed in my '57 150 behind a pretty strong 327, I got it for $125 but I wouldn't run it behind a big block.

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

The later cast iron case Super T-10 is suppose to be stronger than a Muncie. But as stated the top loader Ford is super strong. Rumor has it Sox and Martin secretly used it in there Pro stock Mopar cuz the Mopar box would not hold up.

Ago

8. xracer40

xracer40

9. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

That sites great. Any ideas on bellhousing/adapter availability if going with a toploader? They seem to be a heck of a lot more plentiful (and cheaper) than a Muncie. Are they as stout as i've heard?

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

McCleod and others make SBC-Toploader Ford bellhousings....

You find toploaders cheap and plentiful compared to Muncies? Buy a few cheap for me then! ;)

11. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

More plentiful and cheaper than a Muncie was the key phrase! I have found several pressure washed muncie's people are claiming as rebuilt for $1-1500 and sometimes more. Found several honest people with ones they say they've never driven personally for $3-600 but they are always sold(shocker right?).

I have a wanted ad but so far no dice.

Are there problems with the Toploader to watch out for? I've seen a few articles mentioning to not use the late 70's units but no explanation on why or how to ID them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  12. My $.02... If you're not hung up on period correctness(?), install an overdrive 5 speed of some sort. Lots to choose from, and your engine and gas fund will thank you for it...

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

watch the toploaders. Just because the gears go in from the top doesn't make them the one you want. Look for the large input splines...and you'll be bidding against Cobra clone builders

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The only Toploaders to have are the mid-60s through early-70s Muscle Car ones...the ones in trucks and sedans from the late 70s are 3-spd+OD and don't have the strength the early ones have...

Plenty of strong early ones with normal input/output - don't need the 31/31 for every engine...

Hell, just buy a Jerihco - based on toploader. ;)

15. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

do a muncie ,super t=10 good too but are prone to pop out a gear

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

David Kee is very poor at responding to requests for info, either by email or phone, but his website is a bonanza of info on Ford Toploaders and how to tell them apart, plus which ones to avoid.
    In the '60s I ran one behind a built 327 in a '53 Stude coupe on the street, abused Hell outta it, no problems. Then I installed the engine and trans in a '55 Chevy dirt oval car. Ran the flat quarter mile tracks in 2nd and the high bank 3/8 in 3rd.Never any trouble at all.
    The roadster I'm almost finished with now has a toploader behind a built 350 sbc. The trans is modified to accept a Jeep top shifter and once you get the floor boards in you would think it's a '39 Ford trans.
    I've got one more for a spare, NOS, never been in a car!

17. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I have a late model T5 and like I mentioned in the original post I know I will splatter it. A T56 is definitely stronger but will not hold up to the motor i'm installing later.

Muncie or Super T10(and possibly Toploader) seem the way to go. Now it's just a matter of finding one that I can afford!

18. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I'd have to start actually playing the lottery in order to win the dough that would take. Maybe if I bribe santa with some BBQ.