Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual trans and Model A'S

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sskustoms, Sep 12, 2007.

1. sskustoms

sskustoms

What is everyone using for manual transmissions in their model a's.I read Flat Ernies tech article on the T-5s. Great info I am having trouble locating a GOOD use one at an affordable price.I have a 63 muncie 4 speed does anyone know if someone makes a hydraulic slave cyl kit that would work with this trans? I will be running a 350 small block for the motor. Any info would be appreciated

2. There's none of those pull-it-yourself junkyards near you?

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I'm using a 1984-87 F-150 overdrive in my model A. It is Great!

4. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

A 37 LaSalle three speed in the model A sedan and an aluminum two speed in the A frame under the 27 coupe. Both are a nice fit.

5. 37 and 39 three speed Ford Transmission.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

www.wilwood.com has slave cylinders and pedal assemblies. If you go with an old dual master cylinder like the 61'-62' Chevy trucks or Internationals, you will have to have the clutch side sleeved down to 3/4" bore. www.brakecylinder.com

7. pitman

pitman

If that is a wide ratio, you're gonna love it. Set it up w/3.23 rear gears and fourth will be like an overdrive. As to hydraulic clutches, save your bucks, they don't always grip immediately, and if you wish to shift quickly, then you'll be turning back to a manual linkage! :eek:

8. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Only if you have air in the line.

Back when we still used a clutch in our race cars, we used the diaphragm type hydraulic throw out bearings with great success. Shifting quickly was never an issue. You have to be sure the thing is properly shimmed and that your system is properly bled.

Slack in the system and air in the lines will lead to sluggish disengagement, but those things are all very preventable.