Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Manual trans adaptor for stock 51 Merc pedal assembly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Oct 23, 2018.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey guys,

Has anyone dropped a manual trans in their Merc? What did you have to use to get the trans to work with the clutch pedal? The Flathead is toast so I’m upgrading the motor to a 302.

Thanks,
    George

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Which transmission do/did you have? Early Ford style or the mid year change to '49 up Ford style?
    If you have the early style, I think you would need the late '51 Merc bell housing as it has the clutch release shaft built in. If you have the later style, you are in good shape, because they are a little hard to find. From there I believe their is a thin adapter plate that goes from '49/'64 Ford to T-5. I think it would also be beneficial to consider using the '93 up S-10 T-5 as they have the Ford bolt pattern...I have no idea why, but they do. I am not sure that works, but worth investigating.

Ray

solo_909 likes this.
  3. solo_909

solo_909

Sorry I left out some information, I’m going to be swapping the motor as well. Putting in a 302.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In that case I will assume you are using a SBF bellhousing for a T-5 trans....which is most commonly found in Mustangs. They used, at least for several years, if not in all cases, a cable operated clutch release system. Adapting that would require converting to under dash swing pedals unless you can engineer some sort of cable operated system from your floor mounted pedal. The swing pedals would probably be my choice if I wanted a 5 speed. My personal choice would tend toward a C4 or AOD.

The other alternative is a hydraulic operated clutch...either a hydraulic throw out bearing style or a lave cylinder mounted outside the bell housing that either pushes or pulls the clutch release arm.

solo_909 likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like Hnstray and I get involved in a lot of the same questions but to reiterate on what he said. Do you have the early 51 Big bell transmission or the later 4 bolt Ford style trans that was used up though about 1964?
    Ford kind of put the skizzel to Small block Ford folks in the mid 60s when they not only changed the bolt pattern of the stick trans they changed the bolt pattern between the block and bellhousing. That makes it a challenge to use the later small blocks with the early trans without hunting down a special bellhousing. That is one reason for looking into the late Ford pattern S-10 T 5 or a later Ford three speed with the bolt pattern that matches the bellhousing that fits the engine.
    Now wasn't a bunch of gibberish and maybe we can get the blue oval bunch to come out and give you the simple fix.

6. FYI All 49-50 (if that's what your talking about) Mercs were manual trans. 51 was first year automatic. 52-53 were different yet. It's been done a million times. Before we can help you we need to know Exactly what year Merc you have and what you plan to install behind your 302. 52-53 were already swing pedals and still were Flathead. To many options to give advise yet.
    The Wizzard

solo_909 likes this.
  7. solo_909

solo_909

I have a 1951 Mercury that has a manual trans. I plan on installing a 302 with manual transmission. I would like to use the stock pedals but willing make some adjustment if need be. I appreciate the help.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WE understand that but we are asking WHAT FRIGGING TRANSMISSION you have in the car. one that has a big bell that bolts to the bellhousing or one with 4 bolts that bolt to the to the bellhousing, it makes a difference.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If you are using a mid-60's and up 3 speed, it could be as simple as fabricating a different arm at the pedal assy, and using a pull rod.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. I did a quick Google search and did not find a Bell Housing adapter for the Ford like there is for the SBC motors. That don't mean there isn't one and that would be your best route if you can find one. That said then using a later Ford units that will bolt Motor to later Trans will take some home fab work to get to Pull linkage like the Fork system uses. The stock 50 cross bar does a Twist motion to release the clutch fork. That needs to be changed over to pull at the Fork. What it takes is to bring the cross bar closer to the Pedal unit, shorten the stock pull rod, mount said cross bar to gear box, add a arm standing up to mount a second pull rod going to the Fork. Now, I can't give you photos of that system but I can see myself building it. What may get you in a fix is length of said arms and leverage for travel. That takes some Math but it all can be done. If you were closer I'd lend a hand. For simplisity most builders would go with an Automatic but then your stuck looking for an Automatic steering jacket.
    The Wizzard

Hnstray and solo_909 like this.
  11. I thought about what I said and I'm going to revise that a bit. It's been years since my 50 was Stock but you may not need to remount the cross shaft. It's not in line with the later Fork unit due to where the cross shaft mounts in the 50 Trans. Just a support bracket to the Stock cross shaft and a vertical arm to accept a pull rod to the later Fork system. You could be home free. Myself if I were doing your job I would at all costs stay with the stock pedals in the car. It just takes a little Home Brew to get it done.
    The Wizzard

Hnstray and solo_909 like this.
  12. 3rd amendment, I would also use the Stock column shift for the late 3 speed. Heck, in my 57 Ford I have my 4 speed hooked up the Stock 57 column shift.
    The Wizzard

solo_909 likes this.
  13. 42merc

42merc

I believe the guy is asking about clutch linkage & hookup.
    The new engine will be a 302 & std transmission.
    Not using the Merc trans.

solo_909 likes this.
  14. solo_909

solo_909

No idea why you would need to know that information if I’m swapping out the motor and trans but its the one with 4 bolts

15. To be clear, You have a 302 and mated up late 3 speed unit to set in your 50 Merc, correct?
    The Wizzard

16. solo_909

solo_909

No, I have a 302 and looking to go with a manual transmission. My question is will the clutch pedal assembly work with a modern manual trans, if not is there a kit or adaptor I need to make it work?

17. Question 1 = Yes, but it will take some mods and fab work.
    Question 2 = I am not aware of anything off the shelf that will help you.

That said I dug through some old photos of mine and found these. What I said above is to support the existing cross shaft, then make a pull rod to the New Fork. Use these photos just for info as they are doing same job but not 50 Merc related. All these pieces have been modified to do the Job at hand and the part bolted to the Trans side case is hand made. Hopefully you'll get the idea. Each project and combination bring there own special needs. It's just Fab work with a little Math. What is important is over all travel and leverage. That part is just Math.
    The Wizzard
    20181024_084528.jpg 20181024_084558.jpg 20181024_084815.jpg

Hnstray, solo_909 and williebill like this.
  18. solo_909

solo_909

Awesome, I don’t know why I’m looking at but what you’re saying is it can be done?

19. That's correct.

solo_909 likes this.