Register now to get rid of these ads!

manifold for the raised block Desoto Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 mopar_fan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Team here are some progress photos of manifolds for taildraggin and Stan. Just about to throw them in a box and send them to England.
    As you can see the thermostat face needs to be machined but we shop that out as it’s a pain getting it into Alan’s mill.
    The bald guy using the mill is me, keep telling people to stop taking photos of me from that angle.
    Cheers

Peter

Attached Files:

2. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Attached Files:

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

For any that will be making the trip to Carlisle, PA on July 11-13, please stop by my booth. I will be in spaces N28, N29, and N31.

I am very excited about this intake. This is actually the first year in ten that I will have Desoto parts on display.

Tom

4. Looking foward to getting this now

5. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Guys Just doing the finishing touches to the manifolds and we built this stainless fitting to screw into the water bypass in the manifold.
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

6. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Well people, anyone get to see Tom’s site at Carlisle? Keen to get any comments from anyone who managed to view the manifold.
    Wanted to attend myself but couldn’t justify the travel costs.
    Got the first three out the door, two to England and one to Canada and just waiting for the next delivery from the foundry. Two are spoken for and will dive into work on them as soon as they arrive.
    Couple of Photos, manifolds on the dining room floor and then boxed up ready to go.
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I will say that I had nothing but positive comments on the intake. So much so that I could have sold the display on the spot at least 3 times.

8. 341fury

341fury
    from michigan

My manifold came today. Im totally impressed with it. It has all the markings of a proffesional manifold. Its the wow factor on the desoto now. Thanks again Peter.

9. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Wow thanks Joe, been having sleepless nights worrying about the reception these first manifolds would get.
    Keen to see some photos when you have it on the motor
    Cheers
    Peter

10. Got my manifold this week.
    A big thankyou to Peter for all the hard work he put in to developing this.
    I am more than happy with it:D

11. panic

panic

Haven't been following this thread, so sorry if someone already brought this up. The manfold as designed is, of course, a compromise and has to fit/suit many different engine tunes and chassis types, but it can easily be made more less "universal" and tailored to your car:

1. anyone nervous about low speed response, etc. can simple insert a vertical divider plate right down the middle (factory supplied with some Weiand manifolds). A piece of 14 gauge can just be flanged 3/8" on 1 end, bolted to the bottom, and fitted into small slots (or between small bolt heads etc.) in the underside of the base to prevent movement - it doesn't have to be airtight, so no gaskets etc. needed. This will reduce peak power somewhat, but greatly increase vacuum by reducing plenum volume by over 50%, may allow smaller jets for mileage.

2. anyone with extra hood clearance can increase plenum volume and add peak power by adding a piece of 1" or thicker plate cut out in the middle to match the body, and installed with an extra gasket and longer studs as a sandwich. IMHO aluminum is best and prettiest, but as long as you have a good seal it could be masonite, particle board, plastic, etc. but coat it top and bottom with fuel dope etc. against gas soak and fiber shedding.

12. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Cheers Taildraggin, Pleased the first two of three out the door have been delivered and you guys are happy with the manifold. Just waiting for Stan now and that will be three out of three
    You will notice a stamped number on the bottom of the manifold, I’m keeping a spreadsheet of who purchased and where they went, what was supplied with it and anything of interest such as those manifolds sent to England have been tapped using BSP and the north American ones are NPT. (for the temp gauge, vacuum port and heater pipe)
    Have sold one of the next five I had cast and just doing the final work on them. Took last weekend off to go to a swapmeeting.
    Being able to share the development and trials and tribulations over the past months has been an amazing experience
    Thanks again guys keep in contact.
    Regards
    Peter

13. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Quite correct Panic,
    When I had the engine on the dyno I wanted to experiment with an insert in the pleum, particularly with the single four that would act as extensions to the runners to the back and front cylinders. I have seen examples of this on other manifolds of a similar design.
    As I got into the dyno test time it became clear that I wouldn’t get time to experiment at that level in the time available. I still intend to go back and have a shot at doing this and looking at the impact of controlling the space in the plenum.
    As I got a increase in HP and the power curve was an improvement on the stock four barrel manifold I figured it was a safe option to make these available and if further development proved the case for a divider I would provide them as a retro fit option.
    The development and associated costs with getting my hemi running as a test engine has drained my financial resources for further development without selling a few first. Thanks again to the four guys that have had the faith to purchase this off from a guy on the other side of the world.
    Stared on the design for a blower top that will fit to the manifold, trying to incorporate the pop off valve into the blower plate. Street use the plate will bolt directly to the manifold and for those wanting a more robust race type manifold I am modifying the manifold to have more support for the blower.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    Peter

14. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi guys, got four manifolds finished and ready to go, let me know if you would like one. I'm going to list them on eBay.

Cheers

Peter

15. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Panic, is the divider your talking about, inside the plenum area..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

16. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

This one is for a 4 barrel..but also use it in 3x2 intakes..
    Duane.

17. panic

panic

Yes, many 2 × 4 Chrysler factory dual quad manifolds had a center divider, as do all Offy "360" manifolds. Some Weiand single planes even come with a removable divider.
    It can even be used as a tuning device - it can block off the entire plenum or only part, leave a "window" where you want.

18. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

On the topic of a divider, The attached image shows the type of divider I intended to experiment with the two black lines is the intended shape of a removable divider that could be used.
    Attaching the divider by bolts or possibly a couple spots of weld is an option as is making it in a way that it locks in place

Cheers

Peter

Attached Files:

19. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

My concern would be to much open plenum area. Yes, higher speed which is greater demand this will work just fine..I like the snap from the start. Good looking intake. Waiting, for feed back from other owners..As panic mentioned, the performance of this intake will differ according to lots of variables..
    Duane.

20. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Problem I had was getting quality cabs to do the appropriate dyno tests. I have access to a number of 97s but couldn’t justify rebuilding them. I couldn’t afford to purchase new 97s and although the tech guy at BG replied to me about their new 98s the marketing guy refused to reply to my multiple emails. Would have loved to get a deal to use their carbs on the dyno but that didn’t happen.
    Couldn’t see the point in wasting dyno time on carbs without being positive of their condition. A friend of mine has been having a stressful time trying to get the 6 97s on his Chrysler hemi performing and that’s with adjustable jets fitted.
    I haven’t given up on this but as mentioned earlier drive time will be the best test.

21. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..I'm willing to let you borrow three of my rebuilt 97s to test the intake..Pm me about details..
    Duane.

22. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

No matter what this world has to offer I’m just blown away by the guys on this site,
    Here is a guy saying I will supply rebuilt carbs to run the manifold.
    Makes me feel humble just being able to participate
    Cheers Guys
    Peter

23. 341fury

341fury
    from michigan

24. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Looking good keep me across progress, Looks like the manifold will fit nicely Thank you for purchasing the manifold. :)

Cheers

Peter

25. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I envy you with all that room and steering shaft linkage. I'm putting a 341 into a 67 Valiant and it was pretty tough clearance wise. What are you gonna do to the engine besides the intake system? Bill

26. 341fury

341fury
    from michigan

Besides the intake there's not too much I can do. I've made my own long tube headers, I will be fabricating my own true dual SS exhaust sytem.
    My cam will be custom ground and I plan on using higher compression pistons.
    The heads will be worked over a little bit nothing fancy though.
    The tranny will have a shift kit installed and the rear end will be a 3:90 or 4:10 ratio.

27. 341fury

341fury
    from michigan

Any pics of your valiant with the desoto in it?

28. johnrockin

johnrockin
    BANNED
    from midwest

can you explain how you make the inner structure? ive been throwing around the idea of making a few parts for myself IE flathead heads. ive done lost wax casting before, but i was always baffled on how they make the area inside the head for the water. only way i could think was they made a top and bottom half of the head, and then melted them together. then filled that with sand. but then i thought to myself.... no that wouldnt work because of all the head bolts and spark plug holes.....

it boggles my mind.... i wish i could find a book on it.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! I haven't been keeping up this thread at all and I just sat and looked at it for a bit! WOW! Some good work going on here!

30. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

For any of you guys who might be attending the Northeast Street Rod Nationals in Essex Junction, Vermont on Sept 19-21, I will have this intake on display along with my other early hemi parts and pieces. Hope to see you there.

Tom