Register now to get rid of these ads!

manifold for the raised block Desoto Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 mopar_fan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Just a quick note to say I have listed a couple of manifolds on ebay.
    Thinking about throwing a couple in my bags and trying to sell them at the swap meeting we are going to attend.

2. what manifolods are available for a '56 Desoto 331 Hemi?

3. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi, no other way to say this but Desoto never made a 331:). Desoto made a 330 341 and 345. Chrysler made a 331. Although they are almost the same capacity they are totally different engines. Almost nothing is interchangeable The Chrysler 331 has an extended bell housing like an early ford,
    As far as I know the manifolds I make are the only aftermarket alloy manifolds available for the raised block Desoto Hemi but I could be wrong. U-fab weld manifolds are available.
    If I’ve got it wrong someone on the HAMB will correct me;)
    Cheers
    Peter

4. frankie50ford

frankie50ford

i'm building a 341 desoto and i am very interested in either a single 4 or dual quad manifold. hope the price is not to crazy.

5. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi, I’ll let you work out if the price is crazy. :) Manifold with one top plate and bolts etc goes out at $685 USD add $115 USD shipping
    Yes that’s a lot of money compared to a mass produced chebby manifold but you have to understand these are hand made extremely low production manifolds.
    I will have a blower manifold and a standard manifold at the Sacramento swap meet, Hot August Nights swap meet and the Pomona swap meeting on Sun 15 Aug.
    Let me know if you need any further info
    Cheers
    Peter

6. hemi-23

hemi-23
    from sweden
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Today I got my blower manifold. It looks great I must say.
    Thank you Peter

7. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi, I’m pleased the manifold arrived and you are happy. Keep me updated with progress on the build. Send me some photos when you have it mounted
    Regards
    Peter

8. hemi-23

hemi-23
    from sweden
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I am still collecting parts, The driving season is still here. Will probably not tear her down for a year or two.

Lars

9. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello Pete..good to talk with you at the Swap Meet..Hope you had a safe and good trip..
    Duane.

10. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Same here Duane, nice to put a face to a name. Had an excellent trip thanks. I was blown away by the warm and friendly reception. I dragged the manifold around the Sacramento and the Hot August nights swap meetings in a trolley and got lots of good comments. Big thanks to all you guys.
    Cheers
    Peter

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Here's a shot of Stans intake on his Hemi, the quality is exceptional and it looks very cool too :cool:

[​IMG]

12. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Man its looking way cool !!! resisted replying but had to say how good that car is looking. So how’s progress?
    Cheers

Peter

13. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Hi Peter, long time no speak. Langy did a great job of giving me a real head start with building my A. I've had the car back at home a few months now and after building a new garage/workshop, have managed to make a start. After a long time head scratching and mocking up I decided to change the front end so I could use a 32 heavy axle and change the steering round, so I'm not as far ahead as I hoped but you can't rush these things!! Got some 97's sorted out for the inlet and have been swotting up ( on the HAMB ) on setting them up as a progressive set up. I'd post some pics but it looks like it's gone 10 steps back since Langy took his pic!!!

14. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Stan
    Feels like a lifetime since we talked
    Pleased you are making progress with the build. Her in doors (wife) want us to do a UK trip, catch up with the ancestral lands and remaining family up there.
    Still a year away but keen to take in a couple of rod events and catch up with you and the other guy in the UK with a manifold. Giving you plenty of notice to get that thing running
    Have a good one
    Cheers
    Peter

15. George

George

Most likey a 330. On another Forum a guy once asked why the head gaskets he ordered for his DeSoto 331 was too long to fit on his engine:eek::p The 51-3 331s have the tail, the 54-5s don't

Before the recession 1X4s were going for around 8-900 US & 2X4s were 1200-1500 US. With the recession, & maybe competition from you, They seem to be 5-600 & 800-1,000 when I've seen any.

16. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Thanks George
    Good to get some feedback on the current price of manifolds.
    I’m looking forward to getting some more manifolds out there and a better 2011 for everyone
    The recession has been tough all around on lots of people (but I guess that’s a story for another place)
    New Zealand is suffering from the loss of 29 coal miners at the Pike River mine and that reflects in the mood of the country this week
    Cheers
    Peter

17. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Hi Peter, it would be great to catch up when you're over hear. I bump into Kelvin at most events through the summer and his build up thread on here is looking great. I must admit I've stalled a bit on mine recently what with -17 degree temperatures (-12 in the garage!), and family "pressures". But hopefully will re-enthuse one the permafrost thaws!!!

Stan

18. 73RR

73RR

That -12C is a balmy 10 F....and you're where exactly?

19. Stan

Stan
    from UK

A very chilly UK

20. ward3162

ward3162

Peter,

Long time since we connected (bought one of your first 2X4 intakes). Just now getting around to putting the motor together. After having the block decked and heads surfaced going to have to have the flanges on the intake machined to fit tight. Anyone else have this situation? Don't get me wrong.....Love the intake...just wondering.
    Happy Holidays
    Ward

21. George

George

sounds like SOP when you deck the block & surface the heads.

22. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

???

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  23. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Ward
    Sorry for the delay in replying, must say this is an oversight on my behalf. I Got the message from Stan about being in a very chilly UK but didn’t log into the HAMB. If you don’t log in you don’t get further notifications of the next post in the same thread. First time this has caught me out.
    SO back to your question, I agree with the comment George has made, it’s the same old problem when you deck the block and surface the heads. What did you take off the block and heads?
    The manifolds have a 20 degree angle on the mounting surface and as you reduce the height of the block and heads the spacing between the flanges is reduced. This squeezes the manifold up slightly and makes it difficult to bolt the manifold to the heads. Not so bad on the early hemi as it has a separate valley cover a real problem on the manifolds with a built in valley cover as you need to machine the top surface of the block.
    The manifold was measured off a stock manifold and trial fitted to an assembled motor the jigs for machining and drilling ensure we get this right. I still trial fit manifolds to my assembled motor to ensure each one fits.
    Not a lot of help for you at the moment but please drop me a message and let me know how you got on with it
    Cheers

Peter

24. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Thanks for the comment, same apology for the delay.
    The cooling is setup in the same manner as an original manifold I have designed in a water tube that runs between the water outlets in the heads and comes out the front of the manifold. It has a water bypass tube that runs forward and hooks into the stock bypass on the water pump. The thermostat is a standard Chev item as there are a bigger variety of water necks available. I use a swivel neck.
    I drill the manifold for the heater bypass tube and the temp sensor in the same location as stock to pick up the rear water passages in the heads.

Cheers

Peter

25. hemi-23

hemi-23
    from sweden
    1. Early Hemi Tech

To night i started my blown Desoto 330.
    Thanks Peter for a nice made and working manifold.
    Lars

Attached Files:

26. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Any progress on the 291 manifolds?

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Peter, long ago when you discovered the broken crank in the 330, did you note the size (undersize) of the 'big end' (connecting rod) bearings?

The cause of those cranks breaking is machinist error. The crank grinder removed the radius of the rod journals, (just a few thousandths will do it)

1950s Mopers, Y-block Fords (239, 272, 292, 312; all) were most notorious for this.
    If you get a crank that has been turned (esp. .020" or more) inspect the radaii at the rod jourmals carefully. (Volkswagen 1200, 1300, 1500, 1600 also have this nemisis.

I've never seen a standard crank from any of these break. (every broken one had been turned .020" or deeper)

28. This is common with any intake when you machine the deck and heads. Not to worry, standard machining/engine building 101, TR

29. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi
    Been a while since I provided an update and thought I should just touch base to let you good people know what’s going on.
    Last year was a bit of a distraction that started with an angle grinder accident that sliced my arm open. I have a new respect for those 1mm cut off blades. Anyway last year was last year and now it’s time to provide an update.
    Rocker covers are completed and I’m very happy with the general look. Couple of photos attached.
    The next is a new front cover that takes a big block mopar water pump and a small block mopar fuel pump. The patterns are at the foundry and just waiting for the first one to be cast. Thought I would give you a look at the patterns. The next step is jigs for machining. The intention was to have a front cover that looks original but uses components that are available. I’m real happy with the look.
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

30. Hey Pete...I might be interested in the timing cover and valved covers.

Can you PM me with the details when they are ready?

Rat