Register now to get rid of these ads!

Man-A-Fre or Edelbrock?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old beet, May 7, 2008.

1. old beet

old beet

Looked at a 4 2bbl manifold that was polished years ago. Any sure way to tell what it is? SBC, with 97s and SP tops, fuel block and linkage. Value?........OLDBEET

2. rainh8r

rainh8r

I just was reading an article on the "new" Man-A-Fre intake in an old magazine and it showed them as having a small injector-style hole into the port runners. I'd think someone that has one can help out here, but that was the distinguishing characteristic that I saw between it and other intakes.

3. brandon

brandon

the man a fre we had at the shop had rochesters...had the bosses for the injector nozzles as well...there was a lot going on with those manifolds...:D seems like the carbs were sideways compared to the normal multi setups.... brandon:D

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

every man-a-fre i'v seen has had it written on the flat/valley ish area of the intake?

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Man-a-fre manifolds that i saw were individgal runner manifolds. Mounted a Rochester sideways so that each ventri fed one cylinder. No connection between them. The same as most Weber set ups. Ran the thing as 8 single cylinder motors on one crank

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know if this will help, but here's a comparison of a M-A-F and a Weiand from 61. It appears the carbs aren't staggered as much or the same on the M-A-F as the Weiand. Don't know about Edelbrock or others.

Attached Files:

7. banjorear

banjorear

Rich is correct. That is the deal with these. Sideways mounting of the carbs. Most others where mounted the carbs in the "traditional" way

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

BUY IT! Intake is at least $200 Carbs are an easy 100 ea plus the SP tops. The fuel block another 30 and linkage is probably 60 more. $5 or 600 would be a bargain, IF I had the money I'd... yadayada

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A-G coupe-

Attached Files:

10. banjorear

banjorear

That picture certainly contradicts what I said. I know they had a version that mounted the carbs. sideways. Is the one pictured and in the ad and early version of this and they later turned the carbs.?

Also, I can be completey full of crap and talking out my ass.

It is 50/50 shot either way....

11. pastlane

pastlane

I've never seen a Man A Fre that had the carbs sideways. I have a SBC unit in the attic with Rochesters. I can dig it out tomorrow if need be and post pics. Man A Fre was called an injector plate, not a manifold (they were pretty fussy about that) due to the fact that each carb fed only 2 cylinders.
    Only difference I've seen between early and late is cast in address and if it has 3 or 4 bolt carb flanges.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah the only real differnces ive seen are the adress~newyork/atl~ and lettering size. i dont seem to recall ever seeing a sidways one

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You have one just laying around in the attic? Why don't you just send it on my way, I'll even spring for the shipping costs. :rolleyes:
    Seriously, I've never seen one other than a sbc with carbs mounted as shown either, but there may have been other models and configurations (?)

14. pastlane

pastlane

It was my dream many decades ago to build a Milner clone. First time I ever made it to the Pomona Swap I found the complete Man A Fre set up and bought it (killed me to spend the 100.00 back then).
    Over the years I've had a couple of Man A Fre catalogs. Aside from big & small block Chevy, the only other one I ever paid eyes on was a small block Ford unit at Carlisle.

I'm never going to use it, was thinking about putting it on ebay so I can pay some bills.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have heard that memory is one of the first things to go. It appears my memory of Man-A-Fre intakes is faulty.

Attached Files:

16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but I just bought an Offy unit like the one in this picture except for 3 bolt carbs. When I first saw it, I thought that each carb did 2 cylinders. It turns out that there is 1 main runner on each side with a cross over passage at the front and the back of the manifold. Can't wait to get it finished and on my car

[​IMG]

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

If you dont like the SP tops i'd be interested

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Value??? Maybe @ $1000...because of the 97's and SP tops...

Man-A-Fre manifolds have each carb feeding 2 cylinders....cannot use progressive linkage.

Edelbrock and Weiand 4x2's have each throat of the carbs tied together....like a 180* design, and can use either straight or progressive linkage...

So just follow the ports to determine the brand of intake.

Sounds like a cool setup!

19. I'm assuming that all the specs you guys are describing is for the 4x2 manifolds (injector plates).

I have a 6x2 Man-A-Fre dragstar with 6 94's (all need rebuilding) with rebuild kits i got years ago for $600. My plans were to run the two center carbs and block off the corner carbs. Each side has a common plenum for that side's cylinders.

Any thoughts?

20. I also have 4 or 5 97 bodies in various states of disrepair.

Value?

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I had one in the early 70s. Mine was equipped with the direct port injection option. The beveled bosses with the dimples at the front and back of the carb bases were drilled and tapped. The fuel went into a chrome 4 hole Mr. Gasket style fuel block that fed each carb. Coupled tho that fuel block was a solenoid valve feeding a second identical fuel block. They were in the middle somewhere. Maybe those stands in the picture. It was very "busy" with tubes running all over the place. Each hole in the second fuel block had a TEE fitting in it that had very fine copper tubing running to the 8 "injectors" at the carb bases. The term injector is used loosely. My memory was that it was just an angle cut copper tube.

The guy I bought it from had a very hot 64 Chevelle. He took it to the track, came of the line as usual and hit the switch. It died immediately right there on the track. Just too much fuel and not enough additional air. He was pissed and sold it to me.

I eliminated the injection. (what would that set up be worth to a Man-a-fre nut today?) I put it on a 350 in a 62 Corvette. It ran like a striped ass ape but was no fun on the street. I've never seen another unit complete with the injection. I have seen some with the tapped holes plugged.

I think American Graffiti had more to do with it's legacy than it's actual performance history. Mine was the only one in my area.

22. I had a Man-A-Fre small block Ford setup back in the early 80's.It had small drilled passages underneath connecting the carbs individual plenums. I think it was to try to equalize the fuel when idling.The carbs were rochesters and not sideways.

23. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Its not a man-a-fre,probably an early horne.

24. sss

sss

I'm interested in the intake also.

25. moses

moses

whats up with it beet is it for sale!!!!! jeffrey

26. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

here is my man-a-fre for my 32 truck.

-danny

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. vintakes

vintakes

early manifree came-were available with 3 hole carb mountings made in [atlanta georgia] when they moved to ca the 3 bolts were discontinued offy had large runner front to rear on each side with large croos overs left to right manifree had very small "balance tubes" also had fuel block bolted to intake between carbs if intake is manifree 3 bolt [not a re-driled 4 bolt is VERY RARE 500 - 800 97 cores at 135 each if the tops still have sp logo 300 - 400 linkage - fuel block 125 we used to call them man i fire cause you needed a fire extinguisher with them ]to rich fouling plugs = BACKFIRE john

28. Satinblack

Satinblack

Yes the edelbrock and weiand are better street setups. All the man a fre's I had were not sideways mounted carbs. The design intended was that each carb mounted directly over the intake passages of the head, thus direct port injection as Graves called it.

Also note one thing about BBC man a fre's use early 1958 Pontiac rochs. They were the biggest and had the large air screw in the back

29. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

My last 2 man-a-fre sbc intakes have been atlanta ga and factory drilled for 4 bolt rochesters never seen one drilled for 3 bolt yet must be rare.

30. rick70

rick70
    from chicago

What year did they make that for a sbf? and where is the best place too find one?