Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mallory Unilite wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thesupersized, May 7, 2009.

1. thesupersized

thesupersized

I just bought a mallory unilite for my flathead, it didn't come with directions for the wiring...

I looked it up online and found that

red goes to + side of coil
    green to - side of coil
    brown is to ground

is this correct?

thanks

2. thesupersized

thesupersized

alright, cool, ill drop it in now...

3. I'm runnin' a Unilite on a 302 in my '32 5W and I keep poppin' modules, about one a year. I carry a spare at all times. Wish I knew what I'm doin' wrong. Was told to run a double resistor but that seems odd. Anyone having a similar problem?

4. I run a Uni-Lite and never had a module problem (he says as he knocks on wood).

I think the problem is a poor ground.

5. I also run a Unilight. In 2 weeks now I have been through 2 different Mallory coils. I had one go bad after 5 years. Replaced it with a brand new one.

After only 40 miles of driving it left me stranded on the side of the road. Lucky for me only 1.5 miles from home. My wife had to bring a tow strap and drag me home.

After a few days of not being able to start the car a friend camer over with a spare coil and the car started right up. Put the old coil back on and the car won't start!

6. I run a Jacobs oil filled coil if that helps.

It also gets a blast of air from the fan.

7. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

I had to buy some special resistor for mine (small block ford) to keep the "eye" from burning out. So far 3 years with no problems.

8. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Unilite modules are notorously fragile... So much Mallory sells a surge protector that's a direct plug-in to 'em. Sorta shitty I always thought. I forget how much they cost, I used one after I had already bought the distributor, prior to doing any research into 'em. I forked of the cash for the surge protector just in case and ran it for a couple years with no problems.

9. Larry, are you using a ballast resistor on the hot lead to the coil? If not that could be your problem. Also make sure that you have a REAL good ground, I grounded mine right to the battery negative cable on my bell housing. I got 16,000 miles on mine with-out a glitch, knock on wood !!! Mike

10. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I'm also knocking on wood as I type. I have been running a Mallory unilite on my flathead. Turned 50,000 miles in 11 years last Summer...... I'll continue to knock on wood everytime I talk about it. I also carry a complete, ready to bolt on, stock distributor.

11. Thanks for all the feedback, the HAMB never disappoints!! There's some good, solid info above from folks I consider experts AND an awful lot of wood knockin' goin' on.....

Mike, I gotta sit next to you at breakfast tomorrow.:D

12. teddyp

teddyp

Been running a unlite in my 50 chey with a sbc for 12 years ( hit the wood again no pROblems

13. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Are you running a mallory coil and a mallory resistor along with the mallory uni-lite, all matched parts ?

14. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

On my setup I used a matching Mallory coil and dizzy. I was feeding it off the factory Ford resistance wire, until I bought a Crane HI-6, I don't remember how I set things up with that. Always ran real nice for me, but I was a scaredy-cat and bought the surge protector early on.

FYI, Pertronix actually makes one of their modules to replace the factory Unilite module. Just in case any of you fellas have one cook on you and don't want to replace it with another Unilite module. If memory serves its actually cheaper.

15. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I am running a Unilite that has been in there 19 years now, and over 30,000 miles. I am running two resistors, in series, a Mallory coil, and Moroso wires.

16. 4tford

4tford

check this

Attached Files:

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Repeat module failure = low resistance in the circuit causing too much current making the module fail. More than likely the incorrect coil. Coil needs to be correct resistance for the unitlite to last...

18. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

been running one in my Flathead for 20 years never had a distributor problem it`s those stupid looking generators that fry them. msd box and a alternator never have to worry again.

19. teddyp

teddyp

yes

20. john w burns

john w burns

Warning,
    when you put the mallory in take heavy red wire off your selenoid and hook it to your battery. Other wise you could spike it and blow your module positive side,mor get thier filter. I learned this the exspensive way.
    John w burns

21. Thanks Hamb! I also had no paper work and needed to double check this. Hamb is always there when you need it.

22. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

All good advice. My 2 cents is do not weld anything on the car without dis-connecting the battery and to be on the safe side, the distributor. Found this out the hard way. Luckily only a few miles from home when the module blew out. Other than this, I have had no problems with this set-up.

23. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I blew 3 modules in my 289. I ended up wiring the module to the coil side of the resistor, no problems since.

I have no idea why they were blowing, or what I changed by moving the power wire to the coil side of the resistor, but it works. Mallory now makes the e-spark module which costs about half of what the Unilite modules do, and works fine.

24. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have a Unilight on my 55 Lincoln, so I thought ait would be a good idea to buy an extra module to keep on hand.

The module issue is interesting. Summit has two modules listed....

Mallory Ignition 605 - Mallory Replacement Ignition Modules

<FIELDSET class=item-disclose><LEGEND>View Image and Compare</LEGEND>
    • [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET> Ignition Module, Unilite and E-Spark, 37, 38, 45, 46, 47, 83, 86, 91, 93 Series Mallory Distributors, Each
    Part Number: MAA-605
    Estimated Ship Date: Today

<FIELDSET class=user-actions><LEGEND>Transaction</LEGEND>
    • $89.88
    • <INPUT id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder__CtlPartResultsReplacement_ctl03__CtlQuantity__CtlQuantityInput value=1 size=1 name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$_CtlPartResultsReplacement$ctl03$_CtlQuantity$_CtlQuantityInput>
    • <INPUT style="BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px" id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder__CtlPartResultsReplacement_ctl03__CtlCartButton__CtlCartButton class=cart-button title="Click here to add MAA-605 to your shopping cart." onclick="ntptAddPair('rta','MAA-605;1;0'); ntptAddPair('lc','http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=MAA-3738701&amp;tab=RepairParts&amp;prefilter=0'); ntptEventTag('ev=ItemAddedCartClicked'); ;WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions(new WebForm_PostBackOptions(&quot;ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$_CtlPartResultsReplacement$ctl03$_CtlCartButton$_CtlCartButton&quot;, &quot;&quot;, true, &quot;&quot;, &quot;&quot;, false, false))" src="http://www.summitracing.com/images/system/sys_01_button_addtocart.gif" type=image name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$_CtlPartResultsReplacement$ctl03$_CtlCartButton$_CtlCartButton>
    • + Wish List <INPUT id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder__CtlPartResultsReplacement_ctl03__CtlWishlistHyperLink__CtlWishlistX type=hidden name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$_CtlPartResultsReplacement$ctl03$_CtlWishlistHyperLink$_CtlWishlistX> <INPUT id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder__CtlPartResultsReplacement_ctl03__CtlWishlistHyperLink__CtlWishlistY type=hidden name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$_CtlPartResultsReplacement$ctl03$_CtlWishlistHyperLink$_CtlWishlistY>
    </FIELDSET>

And then there is this one....

Mallory Ignition 6100M - Mallory Replacement Ignition Modules

<FIELDSET class=item-disclose><LEGEND>View Image and Compare</LEGEND>
    • [​IMG]
    • <INPUT id=compareCheck_MAA-6100M onclick="javascript:compare( 'MAA-6100M', 'toggle', this );" type=checkbox name=Compare><LABEL id=labelText_MAA-6100M for=compareCheck_MAA-6100M>Compare</LABEL>
    </FIELDSET> Ignition Module, Unilite and E-Spark, 37, 38, 45, 46, 47, 83, 86, 91, 93 Series Mallory Distributors, Each
    Part Number: MAA-6100M More Detail &#8230;
    Estimated Ship Date: Today

<FIELDSET class=user-actions><LEGEND>Transaction</LEGEND>
    • $39.95
    • <INPUT id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctl03__CtlQuantity__CtlQuantityInput value=1 size=1 name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$ctl00$ctl03$_CtlQuantity$_CtlQuantityInput>
    • <INPUT style="BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px" id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctl03__CtlCartButton__CtlCartButton class=cart-button title="Click here to add MAA-6100M to your shopping cart." onclick="ntptAddPair('rta','MAA-6100M;1;0'); ntptEventTag('ev=ItemAddedCartClicked'); ;" src="http://www.summitracing.com/images/system/sys_01_button_addtocart.gif" type=image name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$ctl00$ctl03$_CtlCartButton$_CtlCartButton>
    • + Wish List <INPUT id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctl03__CtlWishlistHyperLink__CtlWishlistX type=hidden name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$ctl00$ctl03$_CtlWishlistHyperLink$_CtlWishlistX> <INPUT id=ctl00__CtlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctl03__CtlWishlistHyperLink__CtlWishlistY type=hidden name=ctl00$_CtlContentPlaceHolder$ctl00$ctl03$_CtlWishlistHyperLink$_CtlWishlistY>
    </FIELDSET>

Everything I have read says the cheaper one is a direct replacement for the more expensive module....

Is this true? and if it is true why buy the $90 when the $40 one is available?

25. chop32

chop32

Ive run the same Mallory Unilite in various cars for over 20 years without a module failure(theres that knocking on wood sound again)!
    Probably because Ive always used the same ballast resistors and coil with the distributor.
    If memory serves me right, the Mallory paperwork mentioned running 2 ballast resistors.
    They make (made?) different resistors with different ratings and gave recomendations on which to use as well as a list of compatible and non-compatible coils.

26. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

Both modules will work . Also you can use the Accel unit #ACC2005 in Summit @$40.95 you should install the Mallory active power filter to control the power surge.