Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mallory Radio vibrator Repair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Sep 15, 2010.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I've been bored and I'm broke so I'm trying to refurbish my vibrator in my 6volt radio. I've taken it apart and replaced the wiring and cleaned the contacts. The vibrator works now but all of the insulation between the points has fallen apart. Because it doesnt have the spacers the sides are sticking and its not vibrating right. I'm wondering if by chance anyone might have a cut away view of the four prong mallory vibrator showing were the original insulation for the points plates were. I believe the insulation was just glued in place it was in they were in tiny pieces when I opend it up. I'll post some pics later today.

2. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Heres some pics of the vibrator once removed from case. I believe some of the insulation went into the small u indent just below the coil. just dont know how.

[​IMG]

3. oil'n'rust

oil'n'rust
    from NewZealand

hehehe you said vibrater

4. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

If you Google "radio vibrator" there is quite a bit of info, including references to solid state replacements.

5. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

If you cleaned the contacts with a regular file it may have ruined them. They have a coating that keeps them from sticking. They have to be cleaned with a special file.

6. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I cleaned the contacts with 1000 grit. Its vibrating now. I'm getting a slight hum from the speaker but no static. the radio may have some bad resistors.

7. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look around under terms like "contact burnisher" and "Flexstone"...these are abrasive strips with very fine grit actually made for cleaning points without either excess material removal from the platinum/whatever layer or ridges from too-coarse grit.