Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mallory mini mag / power pak help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chickenshift, Feb 3, 2019.

1. chickenshift

chickenshift

We've had this NOS Mallory mini mag /power pak for years. I know a lot of people had problems back in the day with them, but any suggestions on a heat tolerable plastic to recast around coil, or a durable
    replacement coil to use? Closest I've found is older aircraft coil. I've talked with just about every distributor rebuilder years ago and all suggested converting it which I don't want to do. Also have an earlier one for 235 stovebolt that had coil inside power pak that needs same attention. Any help would be great. IMG_0629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

123 likes this.
  2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I have two Power-Paks left. One has the coil. It's slightly cracked like yours. And it has the wire out the front – what's that for?

( I had three a long time ago and when we opened them up, they all had different innards. You're welcome to the coil and the inside parts I might have if you can describe what you want.)

3. chickenshift

chickenshift

The wire runs to distributor cap. The problem was inadequate plastic around coil along with overheating. They were impractical; but a few liked them. It's history, and I feel deserved to be refurbished; updated and used. We will see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Mr Last Minute

Mr Last Minute

It’s been a while, but any updates on how it all went?

5. Adrenaline

Adrenaline

I know this thread is old but i had the coil on mine replaced with a modern one after the old one cracked and stopped working. I can try and get info on it if anyone is interested.

6. HRTRK

HRTRK
    from WI.

Interested in any Info. regarding replacing, the older Mallory Power Pak coil. With a modern one ... APPRECIATE YOUR HELP

7. Well coils can be rewound. Not many do that any more but if you find a place that does armatures and sweet talk 'em they should be able to do it.

If the coil is not fried what I would do is fill the cracks with silicone then paint it with Glyptal paint. That may not be the right name. Its usually red or maroon and is used for electric motors.

Now here is another solution that I saw at a car show a few years back. A guy had one in a 57 ford. he had replaced the coil with an MSD Blaster. It was not trad in any way other then the fact that he rebuilt it using ingenuity. It worked like a champ.

coil.jpg

Not this exact but this type.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
    kadillackid likes this.
  8. sixT4fairlaneA/SS

sixT4fairlaneA/SS

Need to keep this thread going. Here is a couple pictures of the internal coil type Mallory Power-Pak. I too am interested in a replacement coil for mine. The original coil was made by Bendix and has a terminal out of the coil body for a ligh tension lead to the center of the magneto cap.

Attached Files:

Six Ball likes this.
  9. sixT4fairlaneA/SS

sixT4fairlaneA/SS

I have all the original Mallory Mini-Mag and Power-Pak instructions and quite a few original dealer brochures and adds for these setups. I can post pictures of that information as well to help you all out if anyone needs it.

Six Ball likes this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I'd like to see those.

11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I don't have any of that stuff anymore, never did have instructions for what I had, but I, too, would like to see good clear copies of the instructions. Please do post them here. If for no other reason, than preserving history. & for future Q's/searches.
    TIA.
    Marcus...

Six Ball likes this.
  12. I too would like to see any info that @sixT4fairlaneA/SS might have had but it looks like he came posted and never came back after Sept 16th 2023. Sure hopes he gets some kind of message that we are still very interested and comes back with the info to post.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    Six Ball likes this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I came across one for a Chevy II 153 four cylinder and thought to might be fun. It doesn't have the Power Pack. I think that could be worked around if there was some information on how they worked.

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Do you have pictures of the top that identify the connections? Maybe some closeups of the inside? There must be a way to recreate these.

15. All I have on the Mini Mag... Instructions on a PDF file

Attached Files: