Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mallory distributor caps for flatheads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32fordroadster, Feb 17, 2011.

1. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I am just finishing up my deuce roadster project. I have a 46-48 flathead with the crab style distributor. I opted to put in a new electronic Mallory distributor when I built the engine. I haven't even had the car out of the garage yet and I have had two distributor caps crack. The first time I started the engine, it ran great. It had been started and ran several times when all of a sudden it wouldn't start, backfired. I found the cap was cracked from the coil terminal to one of the plug terminals. I contacted Mallory and they replaced the cap. I have started and run the engine about half a dozen time over the past couple of months while finishing up the interior. Now that it is almost ready for the road, the damn cap is cracked again from one plug terminal to the hold-down strap. Has anyone had problems with these Mallory distributor caps or the crab style caps in general?

2. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Don't know for sure on a Mallory distributor but I used a MSD crab cap on my Ford distributor. Check my website for pics and info.

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I use only napa caps and clearance a slight amount around the inside edge with a drum sanding tool and a dremell.
    They all seem to fit too tight, takes some pressure to install and that causes the crack later as they run. I think the part number is FA65 from NAPA......

4. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

Thanks Bubba, I will try a little relief on the cap. I noticed too that the caps fit tight.