Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mallory Best Coil.....first made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SUHRsc, Oct 21, 2008.

1. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

does anyone know when the ceramic top mallory "best coil" was first introduced?

thanks
    Zach

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My circa 1929 Mallory ignition course and installation sheets don't have it, so later than that. Automatic, Special, and Master are the models there, with the latter two having what seems to be ceramic tops with resistor.

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks bruce,
    im thinking it might be "new" (late 40's - early 50's)

i bought an NOS one at hershey but dont wana use it if its too new

4. zgears

zgears

ive got 2, I remember seeing a some catalog from 49 with em in it.

5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks Z-gears
    good to know

i bought it for a car im basing in 1945-46 but i can use it on something else if it turns out it was first available in '49
    thats atleast old enough to be worth keeping

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

On a similar note when did mallory switch to the normal size black 2 piece distributer cap? i have a smaller size, early mallory dist for unknown application

7. oj

oj

Or, since this thread is growing and the Mallory tech site is down for redo, mallory 'super-mag' with 'M. Mallory' on the cap and wires go straight down into what looks like a two piece cap and you set the timing on the generator section of the magneto?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I might be wrong but Super mag should be a one piece BIG diameter cap, the mini mag ran the regular black or brown 2 piece cap like you discribed

9. oj

oj

Hey Shaggy, this mag is 'Super-Mag' #310-SP and has a small 2piece cap. I haven't monkeyed with it but i think the 2 piece cap pinches the wire in place. It has an external capacitor and a band clamp to rotate the generator section to set the timing. The wires go straight down into the top and the cap assembly is held down by clips. And it has mech tach drive. The generator core is blue in color.

10. 29truckguy

29truckguy
    from indiana

Ok friend has the supermag 310sp . know what coil works with it? why the extra coil part on cap? for testing? for shutting down? since it has no conductor in it......