Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Malcolm Model A Roadster Build**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Mar 5, 2011.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Looks GREAT Nick and whatever color you decide will be perfect.
    Can't wait to see you blowing down the road topless this summer.:cool:

2. TomH

TomH

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

There's that long hair blowing in the wind ;)

3. hechtspeed

hechtspeed

So, what's the next steps in the build Nick?

4. DREW148BHP

DREW148BHP

Keep the pics coming!!

5. Blackcherry

Blackcherry

Great examples Jeffy, why don't you try one close to his color choice.

6. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Seen her down at the World of wheels show. WOW she looking good. Looking forward to seeing it out on the road.

7. ScottV

ScottV

Saw it at the WOW as well ... craftsmenship is outstanding. Didn't see the owner though, heard he was over mackin' on Sonia from Operation Repo ...

[​IMG]

8. Wish I could have made it Nick. The car looks great.

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Car looks great Nick!

10. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

looks great man nice work

11. flathead48

flathead48

Loved checkin it out in person at the carshow, love the stance. It's gonna look good rolling into flashbacks in a couple months

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Been a little while since an update....
    A GREAT trip with friends to the LSRU in Austin slowed progress a little, but I'm still plugging away.

I've worked on new subrails, using 1"x2" 11 gauge tubing. My dad also came down this past weekend to help get the body squared up and secured in place so I can continue to build inner bracing/structure. More info with photos>>>>>

Cutting and shaping this tubing for new subrails went better than I thought it would!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad (Kenny Rogers) and I spent quite a few hours measuring, adjusting, cutting, welding, bracing, etc. to get the body, cowl, and doors in the correct locations and fitting correctly.

He's been a bodyman for longer than I've been around, so I learn something from him every time we get a chance to work together. We don't see each other much and very rarely get to work on car and house stuff together, so it was awesome to have him down here for the weekend... time together that I really do cherish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did a pie cut section on the bottom of the cowl to get everything to fit the frame better and avoid the typical gap between the frame and body, below the doors and quarters.

I bet we had the cowl/doors on and off at least 20 times!

[​IMG]

GREAT weekend and BIG progress.
    Thanks a ton, Dad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Really good work on the subrails. I first saw the pie cut cowl on Mark Mortons roadster many years ago and I have done it on several model As since then. It makes everything flow toward the front better with the body down on the frame. Looking good!

14. kisam

kisam

Nick,
    It was good to see you at Roundup! That roadster sure is looking good. So did you just have to pie cut the bottom of the cowl?

15. hiboy32

hiboy32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha, NE

the sub rails look like they came out great. It is truly great that your dad could make it out for the weekend and help out on the roadster. Some thing you will think about every time you hit the road in that bitchin roadster. I was hoping to make it over this weekend to help or watch, my kids had other plans though....

16. geemann51

geemann51

Looking real good Nick, cool you got to hang with your Dad. I always enjoy collaborating on projects as it keeps me motivated and offers different perspectives...

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks alot, Gary! The pie cut cowl made a huge difference on how the rest of the body fit the frame. MUCH better than before.

Yep, just the cowl. The way these '32 frames angle/kick up slightly at the front (beginning in the cowl area) is the reason for pie cutting just the cowl. Everything else fell into place nicely after that.

Stop by any time, Jeff! I've been trying to get more done every night and this weekend I'll spend a bunch more time on it.

You are exactly right, Gregg! It was great to have my dad's input and perspective. I also always welcome friends to stop over and I end up bouncing ideas off them and listening to their perspective.

18. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

we love detail photos as we are always looking for new ideas. lets have even more detail photos from you all.

19. Your car looks incredible.You should be very proud.
    I'm currently constructing a 31 roadster but I certainly can't compete with your progress in such a short amount of time.You're a man on a mission!

20. 18n57

18n57

Nick, nice to meet you at LSR and I'm following the '29 build...looks great !! GG's on the 4th?

21. Jaker

Jaker

great stance! I too am rocking a '38 ford dash

I heart 29's!!!!!!

[​IMG]

22. 33pickemup

33pickemup

That is looking great!

23. Really coming along nicely. You are actually closer to paint than you think. I was going to do the "quick coat of primer" when I built the touring. Then I realized it was only a month or so of bodywork until I could shoot REAL paint ;)

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Thanks, man... I certainly am on a mission, but it does help alot to have friends around to pitch in and I'm single right now (no kids), so that really frees up time as compared to others that have families to tend to.
    Besides work and some social and family obligations, I've been putting in alot of time on this Roadster.

It was very nice to meet you, too! I'm really glad you introduced yourself and enjoyed our visit. Goodguys Des Moines is my goal for the first road trip... see you there?

Love your car, man... Didn't you have it for sale a while back? I had my eye on it when it was in the Classifieds.
    Look a little closer, my dash is a '35/'36 ;)

25. Jaker

Jaker

whoops! 35/36 indeed!

I did, but ended up keeping it...

great thread, thank you for sharing!

26. Hey Nick, I wanted to meet you at the LSRU, sorry I missed ya, that lil' buggy sure looks good, hope to catch ya next time around
    Gary

27. richie rebel

richie rebel

good job nick,really looking good

28. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Looking really good man!

29. Way to go Nickster, way to go, Clap! Clap!

30. stlcrzn

stlcrzn

Hey Nick, looks like it's coming along great. It was good to meet you at the GNRS. Hope to run into you again. Your axles turned out great, might have to see if Kellan wants to do this for his 35.

Darren