Register now to get rid of these ads!

making your own replacement 32 ford grill bars !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, May 16, 2009.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

thinkin of runnin a deuce shell on my truck and had this old band layin around i picked up at a swap meet a couple years back for $30 and a leftover spreader bar from an insert i chopped down to fix another shell so i figured what the hell i can make up some bars to fix her up ! i know they are available from macs but at like $1.75 a piece and you need 43 i think i did ok ! what you think ? i was only gonna run the one spreader bar centered but i posted a want add on here and another hamber has one he will sell me , my lucky day ! now just gotta pull it back apart pollish the band , paint the spreaders and bars and put it back together ! not bad for $30 and some free scrap metal at work and a little time ! i work hvac for a trade so the equipment we use worked out perfect ! first i grabbed some 24 guage scrap and sheered 43 half inch strips , from there it was over to the bar folder with the depth set at a quarter inch , they were still open a little too much so i threw them in the brake and crushed them down a little ! heres some pics ! pretty simple ! thinkin of makin some up ! let me know if theres any interest ! thanks brock !

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2009
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Fogger

Fogger

That really turned out great. My old friend, Stan, who did all the body work on my '32 3W had another use for '32 grill bars. He'd weld then on door edges to tighten up the gaps. He also had a sheet metal shop bend up longer pieces just to have in stock. Your grill insert was worth the time. Good job. The FOGGER

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

awesome! you could make steel ones and paint them black like stock too..

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

All stock '32 grille bars were "dove gray" (I think that's what they called the color) on all passengers cars.

Frank

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

yeah they are steel and i plan on taking them back out and painting them ! we have some stainless i'm gonna make some with too ! think there was even some copper !

6. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I am interested in 43 of them......have you decided on a price? Just plain metal not stainless for me.....thanks Dale

7. Very nice work. At the price for repop 32 grills you have saved a small fortune.---Brian

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

with the time for labor involved probably around a dollar a piece !

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

I think i would be interested too..

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

looks like i will whip up a few sets ! probably post them in the classifieds ! or pm me ! can sell 43 or individually ! thanks brock

11. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

back up for tech week !

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

And another outstanding tech.

13. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i have some extras of these now if anyone is interested !

14. rick3658

rick3658
    from wisconsin

what finsh did you use on the stainless steel ones mirror or.....