Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Making V8-60 wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retson the Racer, Apr 2, 2020.

1. While keeping myself inside during this quarantine, Ive decided to do some tinkering.
    I have a few 40-48 16x4.5 wheels, and a few 40 16x3.5 wide five wheels. Couldn't I mate the 40-48 centers to the barrel of the wide five wheels and make a replica V8-60 wheel?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I think I remember the wide five wheels have a larger drop center than the regular wheels .
    The regular centers will be to small . A quick measurement will tell .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suspect PeteE is correct. When you look at the drop where the valve stem is on the wide 5 it appears somewhat less than the solid rim drop. Cool idea, just get out the tape and let us know.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

13 5/8" is the ID of the wheel shell for early Ford gennie wheel. The wide 5 is 14 3/16" measured with a stanley tape,, in the backyard, cold, wind blowing, socked feet on river rock. So it was a quick measurement but for sure different...

deuceman32 likes this.

5. As stated by others it won,t work. I have two wide five at 2.75 inch ready to weld up. ( after cleaning ) The outer rim came off a British 1938 Standard Flying Eight :eek:. Just a lucky find i guess. Mess in the background behind the wheel is Covid-19 social distance therapy.o_O
    1938 Standard Fying Eight.jpg eight 1.JPG eight 2.JPG

dutch deuce and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Do you guys know any specific center that will fit?

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

If you want to go wider a mopar mini van wheel works perfectly. Did a tech on it a few years ago.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    deuceman32 and chryslerfan55 like this.