Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making paint job look older

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonnyzepp, May 14, 2013.

1. jonnyzepp

jonnyzepp

My '37 Ford had a bad quickie paint job done on it before I bought it. Probably about 10 years ago. The car was originally black and now it's red. They painted over dents and everything. It looks okay from 20 feet. I was thinking about trying to sand through some of the paint to give it an "old" look. I can't afford to paint it right now with my kids in college but want to try to do something to make it a little cooler. I'm looking for something that requires elbow grease instead of a lot of money to make the paint look like it's old. I would love to hear any suggestions, techniques people have used, or links to good threads. I didn't find much searching the HAMB but maybe I wasn't using the right words. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It tis my professional opinion that new tires in the form of 7.50's and 6.00 bias plys would help make that paint job look better. :D

Honestly though, I would touch the paint until you're ready to do it right. Don't go down that Faux tina route because it's a slippery slope and it'll never look right.

If you got the right tires, and it a little lower up front it would so awesome!!!! I wish I could find a car like that. Would have matched my '35 and would have been great for the family. Love 37's!

3. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

That's easy.... spray it down with laquer thinner and let it rot in the sun for about a year... that should crappy it all up pretty nicely. (JUST kidding!!!)

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've got a way shittier paintjob on mine and I love it. Son's bike falls against it, no biggie!! Tools can get put on the fender no problem. That's not saying that I won't redo it all later down the road but for right now I'm enjoying it.

[​IMG]

5. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

I am certain that JeffreyJames intended to say :

"Honestly though, I would NOT touch the paint until you're ready to do it right. Don't go down that Faux tina route because it's a slippery slope and it'll never look right"

I am in agreement with JJ, leave the paint alone until you are ready to paint it properly. The patina paint trend is a weird blip in the history of traditional hot rods. I am willing to bet that you are the only one who notices the flaws in the body and paint work.
    You have a sharp car, focus your energy on fixing all of the little things. Make it dependable and make it your own.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

6. Block sand it.
    It will be shiny red in the lows and flat black everywhere else except the high spots- those will be what ever color is under the black.

That should make it look cool:(

7. bgaro

bgaro

20 feet is a respectable number.

8. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Black and white photography.

9. flthd31

flthd31

10. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Very cool... nice car.

11. Just drive it the way it is and enjoy it until you are ready for fresh paint. Everything is neater in a beater. Anyone remember that line?

12. dial in the stance and tires and cruise it

13. slammed

slammed

You really desire to fake an authentic patina for a contrived one. Polish the car and change the wheels/tires to give it a real make over. Or wet sand hand/DA with 600 grit lightly. Then have the decency to be truthful when asked if its the real deal.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got to agree. And drive it more so it's exposed to the elements more and the paint will be crappy soon enough.

15. this is your opportunity to practice block sanding and buffing. try to get it flat and smooth [without sanding through] then buff it. you will probably get a lot of the flaws out and you might like the way it looks, to avoid a repaint.

16. WWinIL

WWinIL

don't forget the sepia tone lens filter...

17. Wash it and buff it,,,please forget the fake patina. HRP

18. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I would wet sand and buff like the others said. The improvement will surprise you. Then if the dents are still bugging you, fix them one at a time and spray over the fixed area with epoxy primer. Then at least it's the real deal and not some poser mobile.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That finish looks fine to me. I agree with work on the stance and go with it until you can do it right.

The gelcoat finish on my T Bucket has a few scratches. They don't show up in pics and in person, you have to get close. But if you're that close, I get out the hose!

"Stay off my lawn! Damn hoodlums!":D