Register now to get rid of these ads!

making my own emergency brakes/48 Chrysler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mschiffel, Jun 14, 2012.

1. I just dropped in a v8 where the straight 8 used to be...it's a 400SBC w/TH350...the original setup had the Ebrake located on the transmission...the rear in the car has no provision for any Ebrake mechanism behind the drums...I was thinking of removing the stock backing plates, brake shoes, hydraulic cylinders and replacing the backing plates with ones from a different rear...If I can locate something the same width and diameter, this would save a whole bunch of work swapping out the entire diff housing and making a new driveshaft...I'll most likely have to do a bit of "engineering" to make things happen...does anyone have any experience doing this ??...or is this idea a bit far fetched ??...can it be done ??

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It can be done but why bother. The old axle is now over 60 years old, it may not last long behind the V8. It has a very low ratio, like 3.9:1. The brake drums are on a tapered hub that is very hard to get off the axle , you need a big puller to get them off. If you are making a new drive shaft now is the time to replace the axle.

By the way those engines are getting scarce. Why not do a restorer a favor. Advertise it on some old car web sites like this one.

AACA Forums

3. Rusty..yes I know it's old, but I'm just going cruising...not drag racing...the gear ratio on this one is 3:36 to 1....that's just what I need for freeway use...I do have a drum puller, having several old Mopars through the years...I'd like to keep the rims I have because they are 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern....I just might end up changing the entire rear, depending upon what I can find...The straight 8 and trans has been sold to a collector a while ago...I couldn't believe how many guys wanted it !....I'm guessing a 9"Ford rear might be best...Pickups have the same bolt circle as the Chrysler.