Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Making a windscreen template

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blackjack, Feb 4, 2018.

1. I’ve been making a template for the glazier to cut a windscreen. There has to be an easier way to do it that I have been doing it.

I cut a rough template in poster board and used that to make a more accurate one, also in poster board. I used that to make a ply template that fit pretty well but needs some adjustment. I have used this and marked the fit against the pillars so I will know the exact depth it fits into the pillars. Then I will able to make the final version which will be spot on.

There has to be an easier way though.... Any tips? No, I don’t have an old screen I could use.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Sounds about right.
    I do a similar process only I use regular corrogated cardboard then plexiglass to make the template.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. Anderson

Anderson

That’s pretty much it. Trace the ID of the frame on poster board, then extend the line the appropriate amount for the channel in the frame accounting for the seal or tape. Cut that out and test fit it, transfer to a sturdier material and cut it out, test fit again and tune up the edges.

4. Once you have the depth ID'd you can lay it out on the front of the posts in tape and make it fit the tape outline, then take off an 1/8 all the way around for the rubber seal or goop it in and razor blade off the excess

5. I kinda like 1/4" Masonite (hardboard) for the final pattern. Rigid; but easy to sand the edges for fit; works good for wind-up windows too.

zzford and bct like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used the Masonite in the past too. For the same reasons that Rich B suggested. easy to work with and inexpensive. Cardboard, poster board or what ever to do the preliminary fit up is either what you have on hand or what you prefer to work with. The local furniture store usually has some big boxes out in the cardboard bin behind the store that I nab to make patterns with when I need to, They work pretty good for shipping boxes too.

7. It’s a more difficult thing to get right than you’d think. I alway end up doing 3 or 4 versions.

8. evintho

evintho

Haha, looks familiar!
    Half sheet of 1/4" MDF. Easy to cut and sand. $7 at Home Depot.

[​IMG]

9. clem

clem

Great ideas above.
    I have just used cardboard.

10. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I took my windshield frame to the glass shop and had them cut me glass for it. They new how much clearance was require for the glass tape etc. Never thought of making a pattern.

11. This is frameless, glazed directly into the windscreen posts, so there’s nothing to take.

12. bct

bct

Not sure if you are familiar with scribing? ws004.jpg

13. That’s the sort of tip I was looking for. I’m doing that with the final template to get a close fit into the posts.

14. bct

bct

It can be done without a log scribe. But it is a bit tougher. You can YouTube some great tips.

15. bct

bct

I also have rough cut a template then traced the posts . Carefully cut the traced line then added 3/16" (or whatever ) to a new template below it. If your chanel is a consistent depth it works well .

16. bct

bct

Here is how I add to a curve on a template. Screenshot_2018-02-05-14-01-13.png

17. BJR

BJR

"Here is how I add to a curve on a template."
    Don't you mean subtract from a curve?

18. bct

bct

If you roll the washer on your short template and let the pencil ride on your new one ,you will be adding material. Kind of hard to put into words. Sorry

RICH B and Paul like this.