Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a vintage bluetooth speaker

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by jim1932, Oct 22, 2019.

1. OK, this is more for fun than a how to. I bought an old Arvin radio. Insides were pretty shot. My plan is to make a rechargeable bluetooth speaker out of it. Arvin.jpg

So far I have taken it all apart and bought the speaker and components off the internet. I am not an electronics person, so if I succeed, anyone can do it.

wraymen, Okie Pete and Rolleiflex like this.
  2. Parts so far: Visaton BG17-8 6.5" Full-Range Speaker with Whizzer Cone 8 Ohm, Dayton Audio KAB-250v3 2x50W Class D Audio Amplifier Board with Bluetooth 4.0 with cables, battery extension board. cost so far $80. If I can make it work, I will find an on off switch and a usb port to charge it. I also bought the speaker fabric for it.

wraymen and Rolleiflex like this.
  3. Well started out good. Great instructions, all the right wires. OH crap, need rechargeable lithium batteries and a jack and charger. Back to the internet and another $40.

speaker 2.jpg speaker 3.jpg speaker 1.JPG

4. SnakePlissken69

SnakePlissken69

Hey man, I’m new here and probably a little late, but if this were my project I would have just bought an existing speaker and scavenged the components. It might have required a bigger battery still because you're using a larger speaker, but it would just be a matter of some soldering and putting it in a correct case.

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Looks like a good project. Here's the sound system in the 41. Portable and gives me about 10hrs of play. I can recharge on the fly as well

Attached Files:

SnakePlissken69 likes this.
  6. Flathead Aaron

Flathead Aaron

Great idea, ive been thinking about doing something similar instead of putting a modern Bluetooth speaker in.