Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a transmission adapter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabillybassman, Nov 4, 2012.

1. I'm about to put a T5 behind my 59A, and wondered at the feasibility of chopping an empty, disused flattie 3 speed housing to make an adapter. If it was cut through where the gears resided, and milled flat and parallel with the mounting face, it might work. I imagine a steel plate to mount between the adapter and the trans would give it more strength. I could go and buy a cast aluminium one all ready to go, but I kinda like the idea of doing things the hard way! :D
    Any thoughts? Anyone done this?

2. Look for the bell housing out of an F series truck. It is essentially what you describe. You can buy a 1" thick aluminum plate adapter from Kyle Bond or make up one your self (Chevy pattern). You will also need a sleeve for the input shaft (so that the Ford throw out bearing will work. Available from Kyle and Speedway.

3. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

The part you need, like Bib stated, is from a Ford truck. You need the "Hogs Head" from a heavy duty 3 speed of 4 speed. Do a search of the HAMB for "hog head" and you should find quite a few posts. I've had them and sold them on the 'Bay for anywhere from $75-100.

4. I already have the car trans casing, hence my idea of using that. Truck boxes fetch silly money here.

5. Check with Ranchy. He may have one or know of where to get one. He imports a ton of stuff from the states.