Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Making a Safety Glass Windshield Smaller ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ken1939, Aug 9, 2014.

1. ken1939

ken1939

Got a new windshield for my 32 Roadster Project. Not purchased locally. Not unhappy with the purchase, its just that the windshield is a hair large for the frame. I know that patterns are great things to work from, but it did not agree with my stock windshield frame.

The stud holes are close, I can get one to almost work, the other one is about 1/8 inch off. I have tried flipping the top piece to see if it was in backward.

Any ideas on "Sanding" the edges down without causing damage to the whole windshield? I think it would only be on the top edge.

2. R&C RON

R&C RON

Take it to your local Glass Shop , most have large wet belt sanders and can sand it down , I am in the business and have done it many times!

3. Searcher

Searcher

I'd do like R&C Ron said.... no first hand experience but have heard of guys breaking them, and I think it might be caused by them being too tight in the frame ? I'd take the frame to have it sized.

4. ken1939

ken1939

Local glass shops are not what they use to be. Thats one of the reasons I bought from elsewhere. Locally all they want to do is replace late model windshields and do star repairs. Its like going to Autozone and asking for brake lines and they stare at you like your from another planet.

Proper advice on having a pro do it, but my area does not have those shops.

5. Diamond saw and lots of water.

Mask off the good part first.

6. BarryA

BarryA

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mask the area desired to be retained with sandblasting resist. Sandblast off the excess glass.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If the amount needing to be removed is small, and failing finding a pro shop to do it, I'd try using a handheld power belt sander, like wood worker use. I'd keep the glass standing in a verticle plane and keep the belt lengthwise with the glass. No sanding "across" the glass, and, I'd use a fairly fine grit.......maybe start with #80....or #120.....may require some experimenting to get the right cutting rate. And.....PATIENCE......!! Don't try to hurry it, a light touch will probably produce the result you need and .....keep the sander moving.....don't stay in one place. You want to minimize heat buildup.

If you get belts that are water resistant , a spray bottle with water may be useful

And, one more thing......WEAR A MASK !! It can't be a good thing to breathe glass dust.

9. ken1939

ken1939

Always about the safety Hnstray thats for sure.
    I found it interesting in the video from Hagan that he used a scotch brite pad to clean the edges. Thats pretty much what I think would work. I know the heat will be the bad thing.

10. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

^^^^^^^Hnstray has it right---and positively on the mask.

11. My only worry with using a belt sander at home is the heat generated.

I tried to do the same thing with a vent window and my results were not what I hoped they would be but in my situation it was only a small vent window on not a windshield. HRP

12. R&C RON

R&C RON

I'll try this again, We have a 106" belt sander with 220 grit belt with water coolant , it would take about 10 minutes to take 1/8" off of safety laminated. Simple , been doing it for 40 years. Most Glass shops use these sanders every day.

13. Yeah,I find it hard to believe that in a place as big as Pittsburgh,known world wide for manufacturing glass,you can't find a shop that has a water style belt sander. HRP

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ron,

I am in total agreement with you and HRP, above. .... My suggestion included " failing to find a pro shop to do it......"

It is probably worth the OP's time to search a bit more for a pro shop before resorting to any alternatives.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Searcher

Searcher

Case in point to my above post..... the 35 in my avatar had two windshields installed by a previous owner.... he installed them in the frame everything was fine..... came out the next morning to find the windshield had cracked overnight. I found this out when I saw him at a show and told him I took the glass and frame to a guy who specialized in old car glass to have a damaged glass replaced .... drove over an hour to get there.
    Do your home work.... like mention above I think if the glass is too tight in the frame with things that expand and contract this might cause the glass to break in hot and cold weather.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No shops that custom cut glass in Pittsburgh? That windshield is just a flat piece and wouldn't take but a few minutes. Do some calling around. GOOGLE it.

Like this. Here's 30 to get you started.

http://www.yellowpages.com/pittsburgh-pa/glass-cutting

By the way, for over a century the Pittsburgh region has been the center of production and marketing for America's glass industry.

17. ken1939

ken1939

Guys I appreciate the help. I do know who is in my area and what they do not want to do, or can't. I went through this when I was trying to get glass made for my 31 Chevy Landau Phaeton. I took the door and quarter window frames with me, and they said they were going to put safety glass in them, which was fine. However, the thickness they were going to use would not fit in the frame. The guy stood there and looked at me like I was speaking another language. And they do cut flat glass. I just will not spend my money where its not worth it. There are methods to my madness.

PPG may have their world headquarters here, but that does not mean everyone in Pittsburgh works with glass. Its not 1950 anymore. Local radiator shops are a thing of the past, they all order oem parts and install them. Thats mechanics today.

18. Yep I agree with HRP here. Look for a Hardin Glass they got them all over hell and creation. Tell them what needs to be done and they'll make it work. For vintage glass Hardin is always my first choice. They all cut glass automotive and otherwise and they can adjust it for you.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. racer_dave

racer_dave

don't look for auto glass. find a larger shop that does commercial work or a place that does custom mirrors or glass beveling. Was also in the business for a long time. A custom mirror/bevel shop will be able to do it. They can also enlarge the holes.

20. oldolds

oldolds

A sanding block and some 60-80 grit will remove quite a bit of glass in a short time. 1/8th inch? Better off getting a glass shop. You can look at old time hardware stores as well, many of them cut glass.

21. Flop

Flop

there are a ton of glass shops around that will do this . find your local hole in the wall joint and you have a piece that fits .