Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a Beautiful Roadster (progress pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThirdGen, Jul 4, 2010.

1. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Wow! incredible build....

2. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Great build, looking forward to the updates.

I hadn't seen this mentioned yet - what size wheels and tires are you running? They look great... thanks.

3. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Josh, Here's a couple of real crude drawings one using my 38 cab, one using a 36 cab with windsheild. I am on the fence about which one, altough I could do the 36 in half the time. Gordon

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Just found this thread. OUTSTANDING! Just retired after 40 years of teaching, last twenty two years as a University Art Professor and really love the fact that this was a BA project. Love the energy and <style>p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Times; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> enthusiasm of your thesis. The concept of getting it into the building by turning it on it's side is exactly the type of creative thinking and commitment I would look for in a graduate student. Great job on the design and build. Congratulations!

5. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Hey Josh, I have a few crude mock ups but this will give you some idea. The grille will need some serious triming. I don't want to hijack your thread so I will start a build thread as soon as I have something to show. Thanks for posting your build. Gordon

Attached Files:

6. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Cool looking build. Thanks for posting

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally someone who may use their BA :)

8. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

That is way cool Gordon!

Sorry i haven't been replying.

That nose is going to look real nice. I like your second drawing, stance is right, and i'm partial to it without a windshield (looks the part).

I'm really digging that line from the grill to the lower side panel. That will look killer having a slight gap over the chassis, like what your showing in your drawing.

I can't wait to see more of this.

I promise some pics in the very near future.

-Josh

9. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Hopefully i'll be using my BA, haha

10. LHP

LHP

Sheesh !! no updates on this one.
    Very cool look to the project

11. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

I'm still alive! And so is this project!

I apologize for not updating this in quite sometime, I've been pretty busy with other life matters, but excuses are excuses, and we'll leave it at that haha.

Not much has changed on the roadster, I have been searching and collecting the right parts to move onto the next stage. I'll take more pics of what i got in a few days.

Here are some older pics of playing around with the mock-up block:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And look what i got...........
    [​IMG]
    1956 Chrysler 354", nice and greasy, turns over nicely, I'll be tearing into this very soon.

And, a 1948 Ford pick-up 3-speed, open-drive
    [​IMG]

Then I found this in the local classifieds, 1946 Mercury, almost complete minus the engine. I bought this mainly for the steering column and box, pedal assemblies, and rolling gear. And I got a few other goodies.

[​IMG]

And than sold off the rest today.
    [​IMG]
    The body is in very good shape, could've made a sweet early '50s style custom, but I have to many projects as it is.

I'll be posting up more in a few days, and hopefully I'll be finding a trans adapter to really get things going on the project.

Thanks to all that have been following this, I apologize again for the down time, but hopefully its going to start cranking now.

12. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

****Quick update****

Just got off the phone with Wilcap. Transmission adapter will be arriving shortly, and then off to mocking and fabrication.

13. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

And I have to add that they are very knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Prices are right, and I bet the quality is as well. I recommend them to any and everyone.

14. Glad you're staying with it!

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was JUST thinking about this project the other day and was wondering what happened with it. Couldn't remember the name of the thread to bump it up. Glad to see you're still at it. Keep going!

16. oj

oj

I hope you realize that when you stick that hemi in there you'll loose the sides of the hood - them fat heads will just hang out there.
    Heres' a pic of mine and it is essentially same as yours except i believe your radiator surround is more narrow - in the pic i have a stock '28 surround mocked in place.
    The hemis' a badassed engine but i am considering one of the big block ford mercruiser engines that is 1/2 of a 460 - throw some sidedrafts on it sticking out thru the hood and that'd be wicked. I initially tried a twincam 6cyl xke engine, but it was a bad combination.

Attached Files:

17. Are you sure about that? You have a model T cowl.....His is a 41 commercial.....that's a lot wider than a T.....and I am pretty sure it had a mock up hemi in it at the show with the hood sides on....at least that was my understanding.

18. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Holy crap! Great job! I can't believe I have missed this thread this long. I will be watching the rest closely.

19. oj

oj

You might be right, i looked back and the valve covers have holes in them so...
    I'm glad because the hood sides really make the car.
    Thanks oj

20. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

O.J. - The above pictures show the mock-block Hemi placed, and I'm fine on the width, but I'm hoping that I can keep everything under the hood (height), because in the above pictures I think its sitting lower than it should. We'll see. I like the sounds of the big block Mercruiser with side-drafts in that modified T. Definitely go that route!

Hitchhiker - Way to keep tabs on the parts that I am using. I'm impressed!

21. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

O.J. - The above pictures show the mock-block Hemi placed, and I'm fine on the width, but I'm hoping that I can keep everything under the hood (height), because in the above pictures I think its sitting lower than it should. We'll see. I like the sounds of the big block Mercruiser with side-drafts in that modified T. Definitely go that route!

Hitchhiker - Way to keep tabs on the parts that I am using. I'm impressed!

22. I promise I'm not a stocker, ;) I spent a lot of time studing your build. keep it up man. This thing is awesome.

23. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Glad to see some progress being made on this one. Beautiful build. It's gonna be a sweet little ride!

24. erlomd

erlomd

Man ,I've lost track of this build...great to see that everything is coming together nicely...keep it up! I'm subscribed now

25. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I've only just found this one too! wow! I love these sort of builds!

If you run out of height maybe you'll have to go with a crank mounted supercharger to get the carbs out of the way?? :)

26. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

^^^^ Outback, I like the way you think. This has crossed my mind from time to time, maybe I will be hoping that I run out of height!

Quick Update:

This weekend turned into a well deserved cleaning of the garage, so not much progress. I did get the Hemi outside to start cleaning off the age old grease and grim, which didn't go to well. I think I need a pressure washer. My transmission adapter came in, and it looks very good. The plans are to have the engine cleaned up and the trans bolted behind it, and get it mocked between the frame rails.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, soon I promise.

27. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

It doesn't look like much, but here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting closer to figuring out exactly where the engine is going to be sitting.
    (sorry for the pics looking like shit, and don't mind the messy garage)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. Tank

Tank

Messy garage???? What on earth are you talking about!?! Spotless compared to mine! Lookin good man. That thing is gonna be a blast to drive!

29. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Its been awhile, and I hate to say, but I haven't made too much progress. I've been purchasing and trying to find the right parts, which is taking a lot longer than expected. I am now trying to figure out engine placement/height. Once that is nailed, then I will proceed with engine mounts and tranny brace.

Not much to show, but here is a teaser shot:
    [​IMG]

30. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Very nice build I'll keep watching your progress.

Frenchy