Register now to get rid of these ads!

Make fun of my stupidity and/or ignorance regarding left hand lugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bill s preston esq, Nov 1, 2012.

1. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have a t-shirt with that picture. I work around Rocket Scientists all day.
    I used to be a maintenace supervisor at an apartment complex.
    We had Baseball teams stay there during spring practise. One day I get a call that the hot water dosent work. This dude grabs the poor little faucet handle and really bears down on it trying to demonstrate the thing wont turn on. It was a "Cold" stem. It turned the other way with two fingers. He was blown away.
    Never thought of turning it the other way.

2. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Dont call your wife, she wont care :)
    ...Tell us!

Awesome that the HAMB helped you!, its really helped me too!

One small step at a time, just make sure you do something on the car every week. :) (even if its just cleaning parts)

3. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Re: Come in here and make fun of my stupidity and/or ignorance
    I have a t-shirt with that picture. I work around Rocket Scientists all day.
    I used to be a maintenace supervisor at an apartment complex.
    We had Baseball teams stay there during spring practise. One day I get a call that the hot water dosent work. This dude grabs the poor little faucet handle and really bears down on it trying to demonstrate the thing wont turn on. It was a "Cold" stem. It turned the other way with two fingers. He was blown away.
    Never thought of turning it the other way.

Now that's funny!!!! I don't care who you are

4. johnod

johnod

I disagree, admitting to something doesn't make it go away.

You are indeed stupid, just like all the rest of us, it's a reallllly big club.:)

Have fun.

5. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I just hope that all is well with your" life changing event"
    Those can be good and they can be bad. I know because I have had a couple myself.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

A friend in high school had an old dodge. The engine broke and he left the car on the side of the road to go get help.
    When he came back the rigth side wheels and tires were gone and two studs on the left were broken. I guess the thieves did not know about that either.
    I hate thieves.

7. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

It's all good now. Wouldn't change a thing about it.

8. txturbo

txturbo

you WERE stupid....now you have come here and learned something.....not stupid anymore. Most of the car guys start out the same way (except for a few that seem to be born knowing how to do everything).....only way to out grow it is to keep on going now that you have started.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I was lucky, had 2 buddies in my "formative years" who owned Barracudas so I learned that bit of information before I actually bought one and busted all the studs.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

A 68 Dodge Charger was my first car, So I learned that one right out of the gate with Mopars.. funny thing was one day a friend was helping me change out the rear rubber back to street tires, so I put him on that side of the car to mess with him..he probably still hates me to this day:D..oh well im sure he's not alone

11. rustang

rustang

Yup, that's pretty dumb.....just don't ever ask me about the first time I "tried" to remove a head from a small block chevy (or the first time I "tried" to remove a cam from the same engine)...LMAO.....
    Tom

12. 500 single

500 single

Don't feel bad...........at least you had the courage to share your mistake. A lot of this stuff is only obvious if you've seen it already. I once owned an O.T. truck that had two of the left hand lug studs broken off. On each of the left side wheels! Previous owner must have been a slow learner! Anyway, let this help you to be patient with other newbies in the future. Have a better day.

-Greg.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think that was a little joke pulled on people by the engineers at Chrysler. :D I can see no other reason for them to do that.

We've all done that. I did some work on a friends Son's 65 Plymouth and ran into the same problem. I am not a Mopar guy so it took a few minutes to figure out what was going on.

Don

14. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

This made me laugh too,i had a similar experience on my 37 caddy,i had the right front drum off for about a month to do some work on the brakes,got the shoes and cylinder on,put the drum on and tried to put the big nut to hold the wheel bearings in place?,seems i had forgotten that it was a "left handed thread" castle nut,i tried for over an hour to get that thing back on,filed the threads on the spindle,thought they were nicked or damaged,finally when i was wiggling it back and forth the threads caught in reverse,boy did i feel stupid,it was so long since i took it off i had forgot about the reverse thread.no the car does not have left hand nuts on the wheels. Harvey b

15. wallyringo

wallyringo

my 55 Plymouth taught me that leason. haha

16. Thanks for reading my thread. lol. I feel special.

17. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

one critical thing to remember when snapping of bolts, always make sure to break them off short.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The other "backwards" thing about your car is the 6 volt positive ground battery.

For the guy who changed his rear axle and now has 3 wheels with RH bolts... the right side hub and brake drum off another car, will fit on the left side. I've run into that a few times on old Mopars, that someone fixed with a junkyard drum.

19. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Hey!!! You did better than me... i jumped up and down on a breaker bar on an old mopar once until i DID bust the stud off. Then i examined the threads on the broken stud and mended my ways...

Craig

20. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

This is just your first step toward a very long journey. Most of us took that first step in similar fashion

21. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Just be glad you didn't have a brother that had to have biggest and baddest impact gun on the planet. Learned the hard WAY working with a older brother. Just told me i bought a piece of junk. But i am having the last laugh since it is a 1971 dodge charger r/t 440 six pak car. Still own it

22. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

THANKS for starting it!! Without your thread, I'd still be stupid. Well, more stupid.

23. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I bought an old Pontiac from a boneyard years ago. 3 flat tires. I had brought along spares to make it easier to place on the trailer.The left side we could not get loose. my buddy jim did manage to get 'about 3 turns' on them before we gave up and just loaded the thing.when we got home, and i sprayed it down, I could then see the "L" in the studs:eek:. tried the 'correct' way, but the ones jim had gotten after had to be cut loose with a torch!

I later replaced all with "normal" studs.
    P.S. that wagon is kinda cool looking:)

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They didn't want the nuts to work loose. They figured the turning of the wheel would tighten the nuts on the right side with right hand threads, left side left hand threads.

This is true on a wagon wheel with the nut in the middle, on the wheel bolts it doesn't matter but it took some time to figure it out. It seems the first car designers started on wagons and buggies, then the younger generation of engineers asked why and figured it out.

25. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

If the HAMB didn't allow people who make ignorant mistakes, there would be no one here. One day I was doing a repair job around the house and my stepson asked me how I knew how to do things like that. My response: "50+ years of breaking things and screwing them up learning how to do things the right way".

26. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Cars and light trucks aren't the only one with left hand studs. Some semis had them too. When I worked in a truck body shop I had to take the front left wheel off an old beat up truck. I got the big 1" impact out, put it on the lug nut and went to town. Nothing, that damn thing wouldn't move for anything. I got the big breaker bar out with a piece of pipe and still didn't move. I even put a floor jack under the pipe and tried to jack it up, nothing. I then took a closer look at the threads on the stud and traced them with my finger nail, damn, if they were left hand thread. Reversed the impact wrench and after a few seconds they spun right off. Luckily no one in the shop noticed me doing all the gymnastics to get them off.

27. Zerk

Zerk

Humbling? It was for me.

28. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

One of my earliest memories is of my Dad cussing up a storm trying to change a driver's side flat on his '62 Pontiac in a parking lot.
    :D

29. barney rubble

barney rubble

Years ago when I was about 22-23 I went to work for a buddy of mine and his uncle doing mechanic work for the uncles blacktop company. One of my first jobs was working on the LR wheel on a 1973 F350 wheel seal leak. This was around 1977. I had messed with old Mopars for years so I knowed about left hand threads but I had only seen them on Mopars. When I got to 7 of the 8 lugs broke of my buddy came by and said hey dumb ass there left hand thread. I broke every one of these with a breaker bar and pipe they where about 5/8" studs. My buddy got a kick out of it the uncle was not very happy, but we are still good friends. Life lesson learned.

30. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Lots of us have been there and done that with lefty lug nuts. Mine was a '70 Satellite that my Grandfather owned and I drove when my car was out of service.

Ran into the left-hand thread thing a few more times, though, in places you wouldn't expect. Now if I can't loosen something (lefty) I automatically try it the opposite way (righty) which is good practice on stuck bolts anyway.