Register now to get rid of these ads!

Make a late model GM tilt column look like an early style.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TooMany2count, Apr 27, 2010.

1. I posted this in the A-D Truckers Social Group & figured I'd share it w/everyone.

So I was bored yesterday & figured I would try & do something on the bus that wouldn't cost me anything but time.
    Sorry I didn't take many pics but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Being a cheap SOB, Large Marge has been built on such a tight shoe string budget that it even amazes me & I wouldn't believe unless I was there & I was :rolleyes: . 95% of everything used on the truck was salvaged from other cars/trucks I have gotten over the years along w/some free stuff from friends. So today I decided to modify some of that FREE :D stuff I have used on the bus.

I already had mounted the column in Large Marge which is a 1994 Buick Park Ave FWD steering column(yes a FWD) that uses a cable to shift the transmission. The column was free so I used it BUT I hate that crap that hangs off the side of it inside that little square box.
    So off it comes..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this picture I have stripped the column of the stock collar along w/the ignition tumblers, canceling cam/horn circuit, turn/bright lite switch & bright lite switch rod.
    The only thing I saved was the tension spring, lock plate, canceling cam/horn circuit & lock ring.
    [​IMG]

Basically I did what it shows to take it apart is shown on THIS webpage down to THIS picture.

Since I didn't want to have to buy another column or collar, remember I'm a cheap SOB, I decided to take apart a Caddy tilt/telescoping column I have had for 6-7yrs from a parts car for the collar(you have to use a tilt/telescoping column collar). Save the screws for the replacement collar you are using along w/the ignition tumblers, canceling cam/horn circuit, turn signal/hazzard switch & screws.
    Here's the collar marked to be cut(removing 3/4") to the same height of the stock 94 Buick column.
    [​IMG]

After it lost 3/4" of height and before it is cleaned up w/the stock collar. .
    Yessss they are about the same size, it's just a crappy picture.
    [​IMG]

Here it is reassembled using the modified Cadillac collar along w/the ignition tumblers, turn signal/hazzard switch & screws from it.
    [​IMG]

Hell even the gap looks good.
    [​IMG]

I might remove the ignition tumblers down the road but for right now I'm done.
    So that's what I did on that boring semi-rainy day while trying to kill some time, it was FREE and i got rid of that fucking little square box on the side of the column that I hate..joe

2. Spity

Spity

Good thinking!