Register now to get rid of these ads!

make a glide seat look old?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoo, Jul 22, 2011.

1. magoo

magoo

A customer of mine has a glide seat for his 32 coupe.Neither of us likes the modern looking adjuster handle or the plastic covers .We want it to look like it has been in the car for several decades.Has anyone overcome this problem and do you have any photos?

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What ever you do, don`t use the foam furrnished with the seat. It`s crap. Relocate the cable.

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am that customer and We have some leather out of an old 7 ft long billard room seat 2"pleats and would like to scource some more distressed type leather to match. Who would be a good contact for distressed leather or synthetic ,Faux ,that would also send to NZ.

4. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086472_distress-new-leather.html

You can try this for distressing the leather and giving it that old well used look.

As for the plastic covers I'd guess you can use what you have as a template and make a mold, or even maybe build on it or sand it smooth then get it chrome sprayed/or painted.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup we heard the foam is crap. There must be different styles of glide as ours is not cable operated tilt back, though should be. We have a butt ugly lever and even worse plastic cover over the tilt mechansim. Though we can probably come up with a way to dissapear the poorly designed glide tilt mechanism which most likely was originaly for a honda.

6. billthx138

billthx138

That ugly over large mechanism is new compared to what use to be on the glides. The one in my roadster is much smaller and the release is in the side of the seat, not the euro looking lever. I had to modify the driver side inside door pillar for clearance just to be able to center the seat in my coupe. I plan on making something to replace the plastic also. Anyway, overall I do like the seats and once upholstered properly they do look good, just some minor issues previously stated.