Register now to get rid of these ads!

?, make a '29 pickup cab from sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J'st Wandering, May 25, 2011.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a question for you.

How much different from an original would it be to use a cowl and doors from a sedan and buy the repopped back panels for a pickup? I know the doors on a pickup are Model T doors. I am thinking that it would work and look good. Has anyone tried it or checked into it. I would also have to come up with a plan for the roof. What do you think?

My son is interested in building a pickup and we have extra cowls and doors from sedans.

Thanks.

Neal

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have seen one..It was red
    didnt look too bad
    If i find a picture of it, I'll post it

3. while the firewall and fuel tank are the same sedan and pickup cab , the front door pillars are a bit different. also , the header panel is different. you would want to use these parts from a pickup along with the T style doosr to make it look right

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

[​IMG]

not the one i thought of first , but simular
    the one i remember used the pick up back cab portion

Last edited: May 25, 2011

5. budd

budd

i have one here in my shop i'm doing, i made a simple forming die to make the belt line on the cab corners to match the sedan doors, i also chopped the cab corners 1-1/2" half way between the belt line and the top, then i just cut the bottoms off where i needed to to fit the subframe, i moved the back panels down to match the reworked cab corners and just cut the bottom off the lower panel, i added about a 1" spacer above the doors so i could keep the stock A pillers, still a work in progress,

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A shop I helped out in many years ago had one come through, and trueth be told it was kinda cool looking. The windsheild line on the sedan cowl is a bit lower so it kinda chops itself as someone noted above. The other advantage if memory serves, is that sedan doors are a couple of inches longer which gives some very needed room inside this beast. As the previous poster stated, you do have to mess around with the reveals on the cab corner to make everything match. I would not do this with the sedan rear panels, just make sure to use the repro pickup stuff. Oh, you'll probably have to mess with the front of the bed too if you are going full fendered with this.

7. retromotors

retromotors

I LIKE that ..... a lot ...!!!

8. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Yes. Thanks for the picture. Helps to see how it matches up and what needs to be done.

Thank you all for the responses. Will follow up on it some more. Nice to know the doors are a little longer on the sedan.

Neal

10. Then there's this beauty.
    [​IMG]

Built by Ken "Posies" Fenical. It's called "Thunder Road".

11. Yea except without the twin grill shells. :D

Is that one yours buddy?

12. Yeah it's mine :) Don't like the twin grilles? :( :p (pssst...the Thames grille goes on my 32;))

13. I would only run twin grills if I was running twin radiators. That twin grill thing is too '60s show rod for me. :D:D

Neat little hauler BTW. The Thames on a duece, that is different. Send me a pic when you get that far. ;)