Register now to get rid of these ads!

Major Project Preview!! Check this out Brush!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, May 31, 2006.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

So I blew up my engine about a month ago (bad thrust bearing walking crank, broke both ends of the crank), and have had some time to do some thinking about what direction to go in with the car, and what the next logical step would be. I've come up with a plan, and have since been gathering parts like crazy.

I'm thinking of a late '50's kustom, say 1958-1959, built in the NJ style. Nothing too radical, but definitely the full kustom route; walk that line between mild and radical. Right now it's just too mild, and quite frankly, kinda boring me. So without further ado...here's the battle plan.

-replace engine with low milage 383 I picked up this week ('65, 345 hp)
    -strip and detail engine compartment
    -repair all lower rust and rot (lower front fenders, inner rockers, lower quarters)
    -nose and radius hood corners, mould in fenders to front valence
    -clean up '56 F100 head lights
    -install 55 Plymouth grill (thanks Kustom?)
    -remount dummy spots and lake pipes
    -paint dash and window ganishes to match body color
    -dual frenched antennas
    -'58 Edsel Bermuda tail lights
    -factory style continental kit
    -57-58 Plymouth sport tone inserts inside stock 57 Ford side trim
    -hardcore reverse rake for the bad ass east coast stance (maybe with 4 link and air ride)

paint will stay the same teal and white, maybe with a flip flop clear in the white. Mild scallops to emphasize body lines will also be added

I'm leaving out a ton of things i also plan on doing, but these are the high lights. The plan is to debut it at the Road Agent's Rumble in 07. Here are some pics of some progress so far.

Attached Files:

2. Kustom??

Kustom??
    from N.J. US

Well get to work...LOL Good luck, and your welcome.....

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Any feedback from some 57 Ford lovers? I'm not gonna do anything differently, but I am curious to hear some feedback.

I know the continental kits and skirts aren't popular with the west coast guys...tough :)

4. Fidget

Fidget

Please post your progress pics, I know I'd be interested in seeing them!

Does this mean you're going to be selling off some y-block stuff??

5. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

hey while your at it shorten trunk n panel and move th continental kit forward to keep bumper line straight with back==just some left coast suggestion but it will be different n cool for even out here
    Ken

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

haha, Y block has been out for some time now. My 383 has served me well for the past 3 years, but even the strongest mills eventually yield to my punishment. I have a LOAD of Y block and 57/58 Ford parts for sale, i actually just posted an ad in the classifieds last week but I guess it fell a few pages back. i forgot a bunch of stuff too. i really need to clean house and keep just what a I plan on using

7. Squablow

Squablow

I dig the Mopar Sportone insert idea and the 383 engine, and those Edsel wagon taillights are quite possibly the coolest 50's car taillights that were ever made.

I love skirts, but only on late 30's to early 50's cars, would have to see them on the '57 to know if I like them. As for the Continental kit, I like Kenagain's idea of having the wheel recessed into the back of the car as opposed to having the rear bumper pushed outward. That would really look late 50's custom correct and would be an eye catcher. I've never liked the bolt-on style cont. kits because on the '57 the sheetmetal part doesn't line up with the top of the bumper, it lines up in the middle, which means the top half of the back bumper is exposed (we did one at the resto shop I used to work for)

8. hey Joe,
    I've got a 57 ford still in the works going to be full custom job. how are you going to get the bermuda light in? frenched? otherwise you lose you tail fin tip. I installed quads upfront on my ride, got some lucas flame throwers also. don't know about the rear yet, I think I've seen the plymouth setup upfront before, looks good.

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'd love to see some of the pics of your 57 Ford. The quad headlights are a natural in there, and I even saw a set on eBay not too long ago.

The Bermuda tail lights are literally a bolt in. They utilize the same 4 bolt holes that the stock 57 tail light buckets use. 2 problems that need to be addressed with the Edsel lights in the Ford: 1) The Edsel tail light has a cast in piece at the tip of the fin to continue the factory Bermuda side trim, which the custom/custom 300/rancheros do not have. and 2) there is a lower "fin" on the edsel wagons that he 57 ford don't have.

My fix to these problems is as follows. I can either grind off the extension of the tail light to mate up smooth to the fin, whic is no big deal since they need to be rechromed any way (boy is my ass gonna hurt after that bill), or take the 57 fairlane tail fin trim (the dog leg that rounds the edge of the fin and tapers down to the tail light) cut off the curve, and mount it up on the edge of the fin, creating a similar effect as a 150/210 '57 chevy trim. either ill create a smooth transition to the edsel tail light. With the lower fin, I plan on moulding in a lower tail fin, approximately 12" long into the rear quarter (similar to a 61 cadillac, just much shorter) to finish the transition. I couldn't bear to french in a set of tail lights as bad ass as the edsels. Those are chrome and should remain chrome. With the said modifications, it should make the edsel tail lights appear factory installed.

As for the continental kit, I've always liked the idea of the extended bumper kits, ESPECIALLY on 57 Fords. Reason being is that the customs and custom 300s are 7 inches shorter than their fairlane brethren, and since only the front clips are interchangeable between them, obviously they're losing the length in the mid and rear sections. To my eye, when looking at a profile view, they look too short and out of proportion. However, add 12" of continental kit, and the symmentry comes back and is much more pleasing to me. The cruiser skirts are a natural on 55-58 Fords, and since I'm making the continetal kit from scratch, the pans will be constructed in a manner so that the bottom edge of the skirt continues down the quarter, into the side of the continetal kit and terminate right into the bumper...totally smooth.

10. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Hey Joe! Sounds like a winner to me! Keep us 57 owners posted on the progress. I'll be looking forward to seeing it smokin' up the parking lot at the Welsely at the '07 Rumble!

Bernie

11. Joe,
    what I mean on the bermuda tails is that in order to properly fit them you will lose that extra fin length only the fairlanes have. cutting that part of the bermuda housing is standard to make them fit, I have the original rod and custom article on this swap. I'll have to look for it but I know I have it.
    see attached for the cheap cell phone image.
    300c headlights and stude grille in the works

Attached Files:

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

wow abe, that thing is bitchin. The quad lights add a whole different flavor to the front end treatment, I dig it. A 58 hood would look killer with that combo as well. Post progress pics as they come along.

If you find that Rod & Kustom article with the edsel tail light tech, I'd like to see that. Post the article if you can

13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Wiil be tits Joe...Check out Don Boekes car!

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Joe, you're on track for a fine Kustom. Trust your instincts, you DO have good taste!