Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical maine to ma buying without a title..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Nov 4, 2015.

1. so hopefully going to get back into old vehicle ownership. a sweeeet crusty 46 chevy 2 ton, with what looks like a 235 babbit basher unknown manual transmission (praying for a sm465) and unknown rear end.. problem is the only registration document the seller has, is an expired plate from 72. Maine being a non title state with anything older than 10 years? a title isn't needed, but because I live in a state that complicates things for the sake of complication, I need a previous registration and bill of sale. the simplest (but most expensive) is to have the seller sign a bill of sale to himself, register it, and then sell it to me. the only reason i don't want to do it this way, is 1 I would have to register it twice, but also, it means relying on someone else to do the leg work, which in my previous experience has been a sure recipe for things to fail..

2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Do you have a friend in New Hampshire or Rhode Island? Have them buy it for you them apply for title. Then they can sell it to you for a dollar with a good title.

3. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Grew up in "Taxachusettes" and left many years ago. I would suggest first paying a visit to your local DMV. Bring several detailed photos. My point is simply that you may come across someone (probably a supervisor) who is in a position to cut through the BS red tape and fast track your registration. The primary reason MA insists on correct paperwork is to ensure stolen autos are not laundered or recycled. From your description it sounds like your new vehicle is not worth (from an administrative point of view) much of anything, and for this reason relaxing the rules would not be impossible. Obviously, this may prove a long shot, but wouldn't it be nice for you if it worked out?
    Just saying, and wishing you success.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. mass doesn't need a title if it comes from a non title state, all i need is a registration and a bill of sale.. I talked to Maine dot and they said its going to be a problem searching on something that old, so it looks like I'm just going to have to bug the seller to register it on a bill of sale, which is all Maine needs... which I was hoping to avoid. I could use some good luck, haven't been able to even think about owning something cool since I gave away my 50s cars when I had to move back to the east coast...

5. I am speaking from experience,if you buy a car from a no title state you will have to get the paper work your state requires,if it cost a few more bucks you will be happier in the long run.

The South Carolina DMV is one of the worst about having proper paper work,I will never buy a car again without a title. HRP

6. You need a notarized bill of sale and a copy of the last registration. Plain & simple.
    They will tax you on (their own) book value. It's never cheap.

7. adam401

adam401

Rhode Island? Nah bro not here. No titles for stuff that old. You need a paper trail ie canceled reg or title from another state and bill of sale. We all have our ways to get around it. But its not easy. And the peoples republic of Massachusetts is even worse.