Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Main cap safety wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Aug 16, 2020.

1. hello all,
    In the process of inspecting a 39 or 40 59ab engine. I pulled a main cap to check the bearing and it looked great so I am putting it back together.
    Spec is 80-90 ft. lbs
    On one of the studs 85 lines the safety wire hole up perfectly, on the other stud 85 blocks the hole perfectly.
    My question is do I add or remove torque to make the hole line up?
    Thanks for the input.
    Chappy

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

if you really want to be fussy you try a different nut, or go tighter until it lines up. generally speaking, never go backwards

3. Thanks,
    I was really concerned about going beyond the max torque spec as this is on a main bearing.
    Below is a picture of what i was dealing with. At 85lbs there was no way I was going to tighten or loosen enough to clear the hole without being way over or way under the spec.
    I ended up swapping nuts side to side and was able to get the holes to line up enough to get a safety wire installed...
    However one nut is now at the lower end of the torque range and the other is at the upper end.
    64337.jpeg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Generally speaking anytime a fastener won't line up within the torque range, technically the answer isn't "go ahead - exceed the torque spec." I mean, duh, right? Technically.

Try a different nut, a new one. Those look pretty trashed. Or use a peelable shim. This is a fancy name for a thin washer. Magic!

I'd wonder what if something hasn't stretched or buggered. They taught us the alternate nut or peelable shim method in aviation school, but I don't recall having to use it very often, and I de-installed and re-installed a shitload of fasteners like that. Is your torque wrench calibrated?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Run the nut over sandpaper a few strokes maybe. Or spin it if you can chuck it up.

6. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Why not use self locking nuts. Nylocs or Aerotight/Aeroloc if you are concerned about the Nylocs' locking ability failing at temperature -never had that problem yet myself.

7. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

I’m with blowby. Fine sandpaper on a flat surface move nut in a figure 8 pattern to thin the nut. It doesn’t take much. You may not get it the first time but will quickly get a feel of what you need. I’ve done it hundreds of times and I learned this from someone in the aircraft field with a licensed airframe mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

blowby likes this.
  8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

That design/assembly is for a "cotter key" and not for safety wire

Truck64 likes this.
  9. RmK57

RmK57

Clean up the threads nicely and use red loc-tite.

10. The stud itself might have moved a little,,,,a fraction of a turn would do it .
    Then the nut would not line up when reassembled .
    I am assuming it lined up correctly when you took it apart ?

Tommy