Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Magnum axles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RODIST, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

I hope he didn't really say that ...........the problem was some time back and probably out of his control but there is no doubt about who sold the axles.
    http://www.asrf.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/NTACBulletins1-12MagnumAxles.pdf

2. What this thread needs is a few pictures of the axle so a proper inspection can be made. so lets just get one up in the air and take a peak. nope nothing. Im just not seeing a problem with this one. Street or strip its all good. 20161101_085815.jpg IMG_1994.png 20161020_154208.jpg 20161105_112511.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. Looks right as rain to me Brian.:D:cool:

4. a few shots for the key board engineers.

xracer40 likes this.
  5. RODIST

RODIST

6. Not sure how current you require but I used a 46" magnum under my 33 pickup with split bones 2006 or so and had no problems with it. 33rrear.jpg

7. 97

Good on ya FritzTown Ford,
    Yep it's good to be me...I am happy with my own choices and I don't need your flawed endorsement.
    Don't call me BS, I don't know a guy at all...I pay for my axles.'
    I use Ford axles because that's what I believe are best for me, so don't put the shit on me because Fred is a mate of yours...he fucked up and paid the price ...end of.
    I am calling BULLSHIT on your part.
    You ALWAYS chip in when the Magnum Axle thing comes up, but YOU are full of it, and inconsistent with your statements from post to post. You defend Magnum and change your story to suit each time.

In other threads/your profile you state .
    "I have been doing advertising and design for hot rod parts and SEMA companies for a long time."
    does this include Magnum or the companies where Fred ,the owner of Magnum worked previously?

In Feb 2013 you said in Fred's defense,
    "My wife has known Fred for twenty years and he seems ready to get things on track asap. I'm giving him a chance to do the right thing."
    In April 2013
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/magnum-axle-update-good-news.793389/
    "Full disclosure, I do not work for Magnum or represent them."
    And then today you state that you got a replacement axle from Fred at Magnum...even though the "broken axle" was not one of theirs... BULLSHIT

Tell me this why did he replace the axle if there was NO CHANCE that your one was faulty.....lets face it , if "the axle" that broke wasn't a Magnum why would your friend Fred replace it?
    If you haven't been able to find any broken axles on the web check these.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above: A heart-breaking sight for Greymouth’s Mike Whitehead, just hours after getting his ’40 Ford on the road after a four-year build.
    [​IMG]
    This is the sight that greeted Mike as he bent down to see what had caused his pick-up’s sudden stop. The other end of the new Magnum I-beam was still attached to the wheel assembly, now jammed under the mudguard.(fender)

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_06-2012_'Magnum'-brand_Axle_Safety_Warning.pdf

504640 and Manager like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Henry steel does not break. That is a 1931 Model A axle, in fine River Rouge steel, swistes SEVEN TIMES!

9. Proof is in the pudding boys. Try that with a cast axle. You can take that keyboard engineers talk and eat it. You proved you're ignorance with that post..

Just because a cast axle "works" and hasnt broken for you... In no way makes it better than a original ford axle that has been dropped correctly.

And if you think finding an original ford axle and having it dropped is to much work...you're either lazy, a corner cutter, or a check book street rodder. You better believe that if one of your cast axles broke in your car and actually caused a serious injury or death, you'd be in deep shit if the other party knew what they were looking at...

Thanks for posting tj e proof Gimpy

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Seeing that you have offered no proof that the aluminum axle cant twist we will all assume it is key board engineering. That is unless you can show us all your scientific test results. Now if you go to magnums web site you can check out their test results with a side by side comparison of the two axles. The aluminum axle proves to be stronger. Just laying the cards on the table. What do you have?

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

It's not just Magnum. I recently had a man who owned a steel 32 roadster I built back in 1985 call me for help repairing the front end. The Super Bell chromed tube axle had broken/split thru the kingpin boss. Very strange. Granted the car had about 150K on the clock and had been thru several owners. Even tho it was 30 years old Super Bell was very cooperative as they said they had never seen such a failure? He said he had just hit a pothole and was only going about 25 mph. When the right front wheel swung back wards into the car it did quite a bit of damage. I assisted him in finding the custom made parts and getting the car back on the road. He was a happy camper for the help.

12. Tetanus

Tetanus

x2

13. You obviously don't understand metallurgy. If you did. We wouldn't be having this discussion. Please do some research into the subject. Then we can have an informed discussion and you will understand why you can't twist a cast axle. There is no need for me to provide "test" results. If you understood the manufacturing process. This would be apparent.

Also please link the "side by side comparison" I looked and don't see it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  14. 97 has good point!! Check out the other two posts .

From 2013-
    Yesterday -

15. oj

oj

I'll point out any axle will work with its 'feet' up in the air! Great pictures!
    I get axles from Okie Joe, they're all Henry's axles and dropping them is all he does. There is an art to it that is beyond the physical act of moving the spindle boss' and Joe has decades of experience. I think his website is Joes' Speedshop, its in Oklahoma, go have a look and the prices are right there.

16. Manager

Manager

Where did the Aluminium come from? Seeing as you didn't bother reading any of the links or posts properly I will paste the relevant sentance for you.

"The Magnum Axle Company believes that a faulty batch of 500 axles was manufactured between
    January 2008 and March 2009.
    It is believed the axles were manufactured from an incorrect grade of
    material (grey iron, rather than ductile or SG Iron)"

17. Let me ask EVERYONE here. Is forged metal stronger than cast metal???
    I think I will and do only use
    FORD-ged axels.
    I'm glad to see the guy with the beautiful 40 pickup was not on the freeway at 65mph. I hope magnum also payed to fix his truck. In my opinion 1 broken cast axel is enough let alone knowing there could be 500 out there.

97 and Hitchhiker like this.
  18. e z i

e z i

Gosh, that's swell..too bad ol' Henry didn't put such forethought and metallurgy into his rear axles...:)

19. Maybe I have said shouldn't instead of cant? maybe.... Buy your suggestion of comparing a round tube rear axle to I-beam front is kinda apples and oranges isn't it?

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

so much knowledge that was here 5 years ago is just lost to the winds of time. It's amazing how transient knowledge is, and how quickly it is forgotten.

21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The axle has nothing to do with splitting the wishbones. If you have a dropped axle and a trans other than a flathead 3 speed the chances are you will be splitting the bones. It's the trans that gets in the way.

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

While engine and trans choice usually dictate the need for splitting the bones, most aftermarket axles (except magnum) also require split bones because of the location of the perch bosses. All you guys that are saying you would use nothing but a ford axle that has been dropped, Have you ever done a 37-41 ford? did you know that in an effort to make the cars front ride smoother Henry decided to make the eye to eye length of the springs longer. this moved the perch bosses out wider and left just 3 3/8" between the perch boss and the hole for the king pin lock. That is not enough room to get much drop without overstretching the axle. the only viable way is to use the 36 wishbone,spring and axle if you have to run a Ford axle. the Magnum axle is the only aftermarket drop axle that allows you to run a non split wishbone[​IMG]

X38 and e z i like this.
  23. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

so for the op his answer is , dont buy a second hand Magnum axle unless you can be sure it wasn't in the bad batch, new ones are ok I guess but forged axle is way better than cast...... I think Chassis Engineering have a FORGED one to suit (non split) AU-2107N, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

At my last knowledge CE is no longer forging their own axles and have went to So-Cal for their forged axles. Maybe that has changed?

25. RODIST

RODIST

26. RODIST

RODIST

Hi,!! Again,!! Happy new year!!
    Thank you all for all of your replies, input, sharing your knowledge & experiences!!
    So,.. the original request for CURRENT info on Magnum axles Cast4" dropped axle reads as if there isn't much.

The hot setup looks like a 1936 Ford axle & wishbone,as it's able to be dropped more than the '37-'41's are. Thanks ! Good advise!!

I should have clearly stated the project is using a Flathead & '39 trans, & the plan of "survivor ", ...not having the wishbone split, in addition to k.i.s.s.,is to not cut anything where possible.
    So,...??.. how much drop will an experienced axle drop shop be able to draw out of a FORGED,ORIGINAL, FORD AXLE,???? Who's best!!??
    Any & all input,.. however heated!!, is COOL!! Thanks again!!
    (Moriarity for president!!)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. trey32

trey32

Kohler Kustoms

Memphis T. likes this.
  28. KKrod

KKrod

Manager

Scary thought of having a batch that large of bad axles.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  29. Manager

Manager

Yeah it is. The 4 breaks I know for sure are true were all the 37-41 axle. There could be 3 reasons at least for that. Perhaps they were the only batch with the wrong material. Or those big bodied cars are heavier and perhaps in lighter cars the axles held up. Or maybe the later cars are used more on longer trips on shit roads due to there comfort level. Or maybe just coincidence? I did a fair bit of research into it a year or so ago as my brother has a 39 he wants to lower and as Moriaty correctly says in his post, Magnum is the only one who manufactures an axle that suits and we wanted to be sure it was no longer a problem.
    Krylon 32 is also correct, CE no longer make them.

Deucedreamer likes this.
  30. chopndrop

chopndrop