Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Magnets thoughts on Pileup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Ahmen to that! It takes one hell of a band to close Saturday night down to a crowd that has been going non stop all day long and still manage to fire everyone up. Props to all the bands, but The Nevermores earned some new fans in Indy for damned sure and stood out the most... :cool:

2. Choptop

Choptop

Congrats for putting on such a big show. Dont let the complainers get you down... for every one of them there are hundreds that think you did a great job, had a blast, bought a t-shirt and didnt sweat the little stuff.

I'll definitely have to drive the Billetproof Mobile out to the show next year.

Who is up for a CA to Pile-up Caravan?

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

My apologies to Rooman. His advice was actually very helpful and constructive and we've already talked about incorporating those ideas next year. It was just that he was the 10th guy to complain about line flow (something I could do little about) and I think I ran all those other guys into one person. He was pleasant and actually had good advice, unlike the other guys who just wanted to whine and complain.

Sorry, Rooman. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

4. Appleseed

Appleseed

You should have seen the port-o-johns on sunday...

5. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

I had an awesome time this year myself this was the 5th year i have been to the pileup and this year was the best ,all things considered i ran into alot of assholes that were rude and didnt give a shit about noone but themselves mostly spectators have yet to find anyone with a car inside the gates ever be rude.I brought my wife and my 1 year old son and they both had a good time i would miss this show for the world and yes the high lite of my day was also meeting Weesner my wife told me i rminded her of a 13 year old girl meeting an nsync or some shit!I agree with some people though i wouldlove to see this become a 2 day event as there is almost not enough time to see everything that was there.

6. This was my third Pile-up and I want to say it gets better every year! The bar change was the best move you guys made, that vibe outside and inside the bar on Friday night was unbelievable! Thanks again for a great time!!

7. Appleseed

Appleseed

Hey, Magnet, I'm still waiting for my dash plaque from 2006...

8. I haven't had time to read all the aftermath yet, but here are my two cents worth.

PILEUP KICKED ASS!!!!

I will 100% volunteer again next year, The Czars treated us like royalty. They do as good of job as anyone out there, with probably a fraction of the help!

I parked cars on the south side with the Vagabonds. Lots of fun. Only had one problem person, some crabby bitch who we asked politely to move her car a foot over so we could get two more cars in a spot and she was just plane RUDE to us. "I have been here since 7am and I am NOT moving my car".. The inconsiderate jerk parked just far enough from a tree and another car so someone else couldn't park next to them. So we parked two small cars next to it, I am sure that pissed her off more, but we had to do it, we were out of space. With this exception, it is refreshing how nice everyone is compared to other shows.

So what happened to the 15,000 people who came through the gate????? Sat night there were maybe 200 people at the Red Cent!?!?!?! Pretty poor turnout if you ask me. They spent good $$ on the bands for a hundred people to watch them. Where was everyone? The bands were good, there was hardly anybody there to support them! If your going to be that big of pansy and have to go home Sat right after the show, you might as stay home!

Next concern that really was a big buzz kill. Show ends at 5pm, cleared out by 6pm.....okay why couldn't the bands start at 6????? We had to sit around until 9pm before we heard anything! Big buzz kill. 4 hours that was idle after being pumped up all day. I think that was maybe a reason everyone split early? I understand it is a lot of work, but it was a long wait for music after the show ended.

All in all, GREAT SHOW. Can't wait for next year.

Get ready for our show next year, Great kickoff for the pileup.
    www.symcoshakedown.com

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  9. greendream

greendream

This was my first time volunteering, and I will definately do it again. I want to thank everyone involved. It's an amazing show put on by great people. Thanks!

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Who are you to make an assumation that just because a person didn't go to the Red Cent that they are not a die hard car person or PileUp supporter?? So people decided that perhaps a shower was in order and a nice sit down dinner at a restaurant was the thing to do after the show.

Some people also decided that we were there to hang out amoung the cars and talk to our pals from other states that we don't get to see too often. I can sit/stand at a noisy bar in any town, I don't feel the need to HAVE to do it at the PileUp if I don't want to. OUTSIDE on the sidewalk and parking lots was just as much fun.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  11. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I have children at home. I live 3 hours away, I( could not make it to the Red Cent. Sorry for not being hard core enough, maybe those of us that did not shouldn't volunteer again next year and maybe you should find more hard core people to help.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

That's EXACTLY why the bands don't start til 9. Personally, I left the show around 5, took a shower, got the kids ready, waited in line for a long time so I could sit down and have dinner with my family, and barely made it to the bar in time to introduce the first band. Last year I didn't even have time to eat. No one leaves at 6 like they're supposed to

13. Tin Can

Tin Can

Great show, very well organized and I was actually able to bring the sedan. Very cool. keep up the good work everyone

14. I want to thank everybody for a Great Show... especially the 4 plane formation Fly-over of the three Christian Eagles and the Pitts S2-B that busted out a couple of Aileron rolls right above the carshow crowd...!!!:eek::cool:

Loved seeing the Stearman as well as other taildraggers...!

Next time I'd like to see the fly overs from the Grandstands!!!:D

Attached Files:

15. some of us headed back west at 5 so we could hit the big swap meet in st paul(which was the bigest ever also) and did you see knuckle drager the night befor probably not

16. This year was amazing!

The weather, the staff - especially DW (I agree JimBob's a keeper - he sure wasn't intimidated!!!), the volunteers, the participants, the vendors, the car count, the crowd, the attitude, the camaraderie, the cooperation, the venue(s)... ALL contributed to the overwhelming success of what has become a major event! Thanks Czars for being the catalysts and for your tireless, selfless efforts - you have created the magic we all enjoy every autumn.

Insert standing ovation here...

17. magnet

magnet

Weesner, i wanted to buy some of your stuff, but couldn't get near the vendor gate.. heck i didnt even get to take a look at any cars... I will hit you up at Lonestar roundup next year.
    Thats sort of goes with the show though.. :) Its ok.. i get to chill and relax and look at cars they rest of the year... at everyone elses' shows.. while they are bustin ass :) hehehe

They rotate crops in Illinois.... corn.. then soybeans.. :)

Its rare that you get a small group of people together that leave ego's and attitudes aside... we are just lucky that the pileup attracts those kinds of people.

Experience tells me from the last 7 pileups.. that the people that bitch are usually either stupid.. or gold chainers.. who expect a Good Guys event and are disappointed when they realize that they spent $70,000 on a car that no one cares about and gets turned away..and a rusty four door dodge rolls on in past them.

The people that make up the traditional hot rod and custom crowd and notoriously blue collar. They are a different cut. They spend money on quality items and build what they can, when they can. That home built, focus on quality and value attitude goes hand in hand with being all around good folks. Good folks is what the pileup is all about. Its a distinctly american midwestern state of mind.

I am tired of Gold Chainers and their bitching.. i should make some t-shirts or something.. Gold Chainers Go Home .. and hand them out at pileup :)

Like we say every year.. we just provide the place and a bit of music... all the volunteers and people who bring their cars make the show.

Thanks for your kind words everyone.

18. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Next years Pileup shirts should say Gold Chainers go home on the back.

19. What no Sorghum or Sunflowers?:p

20. Couldn't agree with that more. Exactly why we enjoy it so much every year and will continue to support it and volunteer from here on out. :cool:

We go to terrific shows every year and this one always has that "X" factor that makes it so enjoyable and stands amongst the best shows around. I mean, what other show will make a guy hop in his roadster and drive 200 miles when it's 40 degrees outside. :rolleyes:

I for one loved the weather this year. :D

21. magnet

magnet

I think one reason pileup does so well.. is that it isnt a big corporation that throws it.. just a bunch of average Joes.

A car club car show has a bigger appeal to traditional hot rod and custom crowd than a corporate big money out for profit show "series". Heck, look at the Lone Star Roundup and the Rumblers show and the Cheaters and Rust Revival and all those other shows.. There is no "cashing in" on the labor and love of the american traditional hot rodder, they dont stand for it. They enjoy quality, value and honest to goodness effort and reward it accordingly.

Not store bought, overpriced and shrink wrapped, delivered in colorful vans to your location tm.

Anyway, thanks again..

22. magnet

magnet

I was wondering where you were.. :) Its ok, i got to re-light my Bromance with Curious Rash and his boys.

23. magnet

magnet

Size has its benefits. :) I was telling a friend of mine.. i am 70lbs heavier now than when i got out of the army. :)

Nice to meet you guys.

24. Hellfish

Hellfish

Not only is the Pileup crowd a different cut, but it's a good cut. One of the food vendors told me that their 13 year old daughter helps in their booth and this is the ONLY show that they work where they don't worry about letting her wander around on her own.

That feels good.

Seriously. Tens of thousands of people wandering around drinking beer at will... no fights, no fender benders, no attitude... just awe on their smiling faces

25. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Best one day show in the world.

nothing more needs to be said..............

26. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

27. Hey, just words, I didn't mean to piss anyone off. Maybe it sounded a little too harsh, but I was shocked in how few people were downtown Morris Sat night. Just a fraction of the people compared to Friday. I stayed at the grounds until just before 6pm, went back and relaxed at the hotel for almost an hour and got there to find hardly anybody there. It was really nice to have a seat anywhere I wanted and front row parking, don't get me wrong. Just very few people in the street, hardly anyone inside. Our entire group was there, most all of the guys from Green Bay and Everyone from Fond Du Lac. Even Bob K was there...until he was overserved. We ate, relaxed, drank, sat around, sat around some more, sat around some more. THE ENTIRE WEEKEND WAS TOP NOTCH. Just thought it would have been nice to have a little live music before 9pm. I heard that from others Sat night as well.
    I understand not everyone would be there Sat night, not everyone was there Friday. BUT, it was dead Sat. OUTSIDE the bar as well. Not to mention there was not hardly anything going on at the hotels when we got back there. I stayed for all the music, I think I left just after midnight, at no time did it even get busy enough to fill all the seats inside, outside was not crowded either. 1133 cars and 15,000 people, wouldn't you think it would have been a little more crowded?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i was to a Lil surprised about the low turnout sat...but hell, after 20 mins of being there, i was to drunk to care! ;) the new place flat out ROCKS!!!!! as long as the folks running the RED CENT got what they needed, I'm happy! cause i dont wanna ever have to move from that place! it ruled! i was REALLY really surprised at the parking lots this yr! hell, it normally loaded till 3-4 am with tons of folks! i think the heat wore alot of folks out! bring back the cold! i can drink longer with a runny nose!!! :p

29. hell yeah von hartmann is the luckiest guy in the world! haha i was the chick he was pin striping! :) thanks dude!! the picture is soo cute, thank you for posting it!! :) :)

30. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Hahaha! That was fun. The best part about it was that it was your idea. I had no idea that it was gunna draw that much attention. What a fun day. I am lucky