Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Magnetos ,,,1950's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

when did magnetos first pop up on cars ? I see a few on old late 50's dragsters.. Who was the first to make them ? Were they much different then ? Was there anything else like them at the time or just plain old distributors ?

What would be correct for late 50's

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

late 1800's... Bosch I think?

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Magnetos were better than battery-points ignition for racing due to the longer spark duration.This goes back to the eary 1900's when Kettering points ignition became standard on car engines.There's two basic types,spinning magnets with a stationary wire core used by most and the Brits used stationary magnets and a spinning aramture cause it's more compact.All mags works pretty much the same,like a high voltage generator with a set of points that open close.
    Today,a magneto still has a longer spark duration than a standard points or electronic ignition.But there's also the Multi spark ignitions that imitate a magneto but have much greater spark at low speeds.And low rpm mag spark energy can be an issue in some cases.But a magneto in good shape works quite nicely in engine requiring more spark duration or a stand alone no battery ignition.

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

5. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

WING...the model T had a magnito. charles lindberg flew a prat-witney across the atlantic with 2 vertex magnitos on the engine...POP.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Wico's were being run at bonneville in the late 40's mabey earlier, mallory was mid-late 50's with the first SuperMag, which looks nothing like the new supermags, the mallory minimag was a little later, like early/mid 60's which was made by scintilla(sp). Anyone know on vertex?-id assume mid 50's

Guys, feel free to correct anything here

7. williebill

williebill

Have a Vertex with a flathead that was used on a custom built in 50-51

8. the shadow

the shadow

Vertex bought out scintella (or maybe just the design) the early scintella mags from switzerland are the same as the later vetex designs. the vertex on my dragster was originally on my uncles 1950's midget car that was a V8-60 set up (I has vertex swap the base for a SBC set up), anyway my mag says scintella-vertex/switzerland on the metal tag. they tach guy at vertex said it was dated to the late 1930's.
    Paul

9. Heo

Heo

magnetos came before battery ignitions
    almost before there were cars

10. 296ardun

296ardun

Wasn't Joe Hunt the Vertex guy who bought Swiss-build Scintilla mags and modified them for automobile use? I used one on my Ardun, easy to time with the mag ring that came with it.

11. winks32

winks32
    from utah

I have a f.t.griswold mag. what is the details of this mag..