Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magneto with HEI internals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi35, Jan 15, 2007.

1. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

I am considering peeling for a hei dizzy that looks like a Magneto! anybody run one of these before? I heard that the early ones had heating problems & the modules were failing but now the mark II type has been released with a pertronics module they are supposed to be ok? any input appreciated!:rolleyes:

2. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

I have had one in my car for a year now , no problems so far. Not many miles on it though.

3. Folks that I talked to that ran them (notice I used past tense!!), had problems. I'd use a real magneto and be done with it.

Oh yeah, there's folks here that say ya' can't do it, but they're wrong ;) .

4. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

Nothing but trouble with the one I got to fix a few times! poor quality internals, Super cool idea but some backward thinking IMHO. 2 power inputs, one to run the module and a resisted one for the gm hei coil.....hey if it is resisted it isnt (high energy) is it? Duh. Cap seems a little small for super high secondary voltage anyway.

5. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Tried one on my coupe had problems with it starting, wiped out the cam on initial start up. Fuck them sent it back to vertex they said not warranty now I run a regular mag no problems. Oh shit on the street, yes on the street! Cheap piece of $600 shit.

6. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

My grandfather does the HEI conversions on Harman and Collins magnetos. After 20 years, he has never had one come back with a problem. He uses Chrysler pickup, GM reluctor, GM control module, and GM HEI coil. All the components are contained in the mag housing so it looks like a regular HC mag.

Dan Marvin, Owner
    Exeter Auto Supply

7. IGOR

IGOR

When this came up some other time, I thought someone mentioned that they don't work very well at all if you are running any kind of serious cam. That's all I've heard about 'em.

8. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Of all you guys that tryed one of these were they the first ones released or the new ones with the pertronics module? Thanks