Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magneto on SBC for street use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Jan 24, 2013.

1. txcr13

txcr13

What issues could I expect if I were to run a Vertex magneto on a street rod? Car would have a warmed up 400ci SBC and driven occasionally on the street, but not a daily, high mileage driver.
    Thaks foryour help.

2. Had one on my 348 with a small battery and had no problems.

3. Ran one in a small block Ford street car for about a year with no problems.
    Lots of static in radio.
    Used a single position light switch for ON-OFF
    Push button for starter.
    SPEEDY

4. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks, gents. I wont have a radio so no issue there. Many years ago I also ran a mag with off-on switch and push button for starter, but that was a strip only car.

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For street use you'll want to have working advance and not run one locked out. The kit can be installed in any Vertex should yours have a fixed plate. I believe you have two choices - 7 deg & 12 deg. That distributor degrees, so double for crank degrees. So with a 12 deg advance in the mag and 10 degrees initial you'll get your standard 34 deg all in. Many places can alter the degree curve for your application.

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I ran both a Vertex, in my '48 Chev, and a Pounden magneto in my '32 phaeton, both on th street with no problem. You'll have to gap your plugs tighter, .018 if I remember but it was a long time ago. And yes, just a toggle, rated for the application, as a kill switch. Used to be quite a few places that would check out/rebuild magnetos but that was when the circle track guys used them. They have all gone electronic and for a while the circle track swap meets out here had lots of mags for decent prices.

7. txcr13

txcr13

More good info!!! Thanks, Jim & Olcurmdgeon!!

8. i ran a vertex for years on a 354 blown hemi. it started and ran great. the plug gap was .020. use the correct plug wires for a mag. solid core i believe.

9. TV

TV

I run a vertex on my 350 sb in my 32 pickup. Had it on there for 5 years now with no troubles. She is wormed up to about 500hp with a 4 speed and a 9 inch love it lotsa fun to drive.--TV

Elcohaulic likes this.
  10. Ran one for about 65000 miles in my 3 window. Never had a problem but always had a complete ignition system in the trunk. Hard to find mag parts on the road coming home on Sunday.

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

No problems. Put it in and run that bastard

12. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Hey thanks for the thread......that will help me too......does it differ on CID?

13. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

14. txcr13

txcr13

??? Think I missed something...not unusual for me though.

15. I want one for my gasser 39 Hudson build!

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Taylor/Vertex has a Relay kit that one can run a Mag and standard Ign/starter key switch

17. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Ran a Vertex magneto on my 5 window with SBC for a year after two Taylor-Vertex look-a-like distributors crapped out. I wired mine through a relay so my ignition switch controlled the use of ground
    when starting and turning off the engine. Magneto worked great and fired almost instantly. Only problem I had was with my SW electric speedometer as the magneto noise drives it crazy. Tried filters and grounded and shielded wiring but it didn't help. After a year and a half Taylor-Vertex finally got my look-a-likes retrofitted
    and I went back to them. A year on those units and they are working great and do not affect the speedometer.