Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Magnesium wheel repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deucendude, Mar 22, 2018.

1. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Hi, Has anybody ever used Featherlite or similar filler to smooth out magnesium wheels. I want to smooth out the back side of my wheels and paint them. Of course I will bead blast and primer them first. They are not bad and I wonder if this will work. The fronts are all polished. Any Ideas ? Thanks, Jim

2. Post pics of how "not bad" they are.

3. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I have been painting for 50 years. I know feather lite will fill everything. Will it last or not on magnesium ? It's not like putting it on steel. I guess I will try it and find out. Thanks, Jim

4. 270bob

270bob

Hi Jim, I tried to hide some rough casting on magnesium wheels once. It seemed like the feather lite kept shrinking over time. IMHO, I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time. Hope that info helps.
    Thanks, RC

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to guess you mean a polyester primer. If you have a really good mechanical bond and don't apply too much it should hold and not delaminate over time. The sad part is that most etching primers are not compatible with poly primers. Your idea of sandblasting should work but clean and nearly immediate application will be the main concerns. Don't blast it one week and try to prime it 2 weeks later. If I'm not mistaken magnesium oxidizes pretty quick when raw. A same day gig would be great, but next day wouldn't be a deal breaker.