Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical magnesium wheel patina

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 528 Hemi, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Old hot rods are often owned by old dicks.

VANDENPLAS, gimpyshotrods and Duellym like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

That's Mister to you sir.... ;)

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Funny how that works!

4. fortynut

fortynut

Brightest fire I have ever seen was a trailer truck load of magnesium scrap. Lit the desert south of El Mirage one winter night. As to look of the old magnesium wheels; reminds me of Einstein, someone was talking about his relativity theory and brought up the observed and the observer. Not many observers of rims know enough to tell them what they are seeing except the cruddy old wheels that need polishing on that nice old car. Preaching to the choir is a zero sum deal. Best results in faking is those dog turds you can buy in novelty shops to hide your keys under --- they don't smell. Then again, faux patina means you don't have to put an electric fence around your car to keep the neighborhood mutts from pissing on them. Just get out the water hose.

chryslerfan55 and dualquads like this.
  5. crf500

crf500

I wish Ryan would add a cry n complain forum! Sorry guys, I have a lot of respect for this site. But the politics are of hand anymore. You are telling me when you was young trying to start hot rodding. You didn't throw on a set cheap of wheels. Splash them with paint and go do burn outs. Not everyone can afford a 3,000 dollar set of wheels.
    or maybe they don't feel safe running a set of 40-50 year old set of wheels. How about embracing a little help instead of bashing someones head in for saying a word like patina that you don't like. I hope 50 people complain for me posting this. Have a good day!

6. No I did not do that.

7. chryslerfan55 and dualquads like this.
  8. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Step one, drink lots of beer.
    Step two, unzip pants.
    Step three, I think you can guess this one.

9. There is a lot of whining in this thread, funny that there are build threads here with guys running efi and not a peep but someone wants to change the look of some aluminum wheels and look out, end of the world.

10. Maybe because fuel injection was available in the 50s from Chrysler and gm. Like real fuel injection not the fake stuff same with the build thread.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. EFI was available in the 50's ???

hot rod pro likes this.
  12. 70 replies about fake patina.... sheesh!

Roothawg likes this.
  13. I can think of one build with EFI that seems to be getting a pass, but others are deleted.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Those appear to be painted.

15. A Boner

A Boner

Probably.....wish they made and sold those wheels in aluminum, and painted like that. I like the look, but actually don't care what material they are made from.

16. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Fake patina shit has gone too far . Please make it stop.

17. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If you built your Hot Rod 55years ago is that Fake Pitna ?or is it a beater?

scotty t and 31hotrodguy like this.
  18. Check out my post on doing just what you are asking for. It has photos and all the information as how to do. Click on my avatar & click on featured post.

19. This hobby is turning into all fake stuff. It's the new fad. Thanks go to the street rodders. Gone are the days of working hard to earn extra money for those cool parts you want. Gone to are the days of having a net work of good friends to source parts from and going to swap meets to find parts. If it doesn't come delivered to the door in a Amazon prime box or bought off ebay while you sit in your bath robe in front of your computer it's too much bother. But today's society is that way. Just find the easiest way to do something and the cheapest. If it looks close and fool's most it's good enough. Off the top of my head I can think of these phony parts. There has to be more.
    Fake vertex mags that are electonic distributors.
    Fake generators that are alternators.
    Fake old's valve covers to go on a sbc.
    Fake stack injection that goes over a carb.
    Fake blower cases to go over a carb
    Fake injector scoops that go on a carb.
    Fake bodies
    Fake patina paint jobs
    You get the idea.
    If anyone wants fake stuff on their car then do it. It's your car. Just remember when the car goes out in public or posts are put on this message board be prepaired for the critisism that will surely follow. You opened yourself up to that.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    chryslerfan55, Baron, Stooge and 2 others like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

What’s worse to me is that the checkbook guys driving up the prices on stuff I have been collecting for years. I’ll be glad when the magnesium craze is over. Bring on the 70’s vans with Molly Hatchet album art.

21. That's the reason why it took me 30 years to get some. I waited thirty years so I wouldn't have to sell myself short.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Roothawg likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

I love that band...... Beavis_6.gif.c9d4657d3b23f8e17ff3f6237a6fa703.gif

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Frank Frazetta I should say....but most folks know Molly Hatchet.

Junior Stock likes this.
  24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never heard of her.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Here you go.... Got this one on black vinyl..... ;) 61VhV96YdOL._SY400_.jpg

chryslerfan55, swade41 and racer-x like this.
  26. Real Southern rock. Not the fake stuff. Throw in some marshal tucker band in there to.

27. Ummmmm it’s already the “next big thing” lots of ex Rockabilly Kustom Kulture guys already on it..it’s big in So Cal....so get ready...there will be a Hamb type page for Custom Vans if there isn’t one all ready...

racer-x likes this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I understand the to late issue , but damn we are all on here lookin for help in someway or another to have fun . Many of the responses don’t seem like it’s all fun

bathcollector likes this.
  29. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Act now and for a mere $3200 on the HAMB there are real mag wheels for sale. Fronts and rears from different HAMBers. All us "young, guys" need to stop messing around with fake patina, skip 2 to 3 months of your mortgage (depending on where you live) and buy some wheels!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

You just have to be on the hunt. I got a set, luckily before the craze, a set of 16x10 Halibrand big windows for $200. A friend had a set in a storage shed. He bought them back in the 70's, had them on an old Ford pickup.

The other set of American 12 spokes I bought for $600 when Ebay first came on the scene. My wife thought I was crazy.