Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical magnesium wheel patina

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 528 Hemi, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To be fair, trying to make aluminum wheels look like magnesium goes back to the manufacturers right from the beginning of 5 spoke aluminum alloy wheels. As mentioned by Shift Wizard, trying to achieve a magnesium look vs. lying about it are two completely different things. (EDIT: that is NOT a reflection to the original post! Meant in regards to anyone who would try to sell aluminum as magnesium.)

crestline mark 2.PNG ET mag five spoke.PNG

In the interest of full disclosure, I've sold some steel slot wheels with a magnesium-look powdercoat. Obviously not with the intent of fooling anyone, but simply because the buyer liked the color (and I do too...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

This is the funniest thing I've heard all month!

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  3. 1pickup

1pickup

That's easy, just soak it in cider! (say those last 2 words quickly)

blue57ford likes this.
  4. There is no substitution for authenticity. Right Brent?

5. Can anyone tell me how to make my new Levis look old and ripped up? Oh, ........................never mind.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Yup, wear em, wash em, repeat. and just when you get them where you like them, they die. the circle of life. cuma matada. or something like that, ask my grandson.

chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. I just use a little steel wool,and and some charcoal rustoleum on my magnesium wheels. I also do the same on the aluminum wheels too. These are both magnesium. See how the little white mushrooms grow, if you don't take care of them. But my polishing days are over.:rolleyes:Ron.... 20180629_203028.jpeg 20180629_190222.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Baron, LSGUN and 3 others like this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    Thanks Ron, for the very informative answer.....I'll have to look for some of that Rust-oleum chalked paint!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  9. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

These are real magnesium wheels that John wright did the polishing on on my buddy's 32 image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Dig the headlights...^^^^^^^^^^^^

11. A Boner

A Boner

image.png And here is a pic of a very slick hot rod with unpolished (no bling) real magnesium wheels.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Another current HAMB thread on similar subject

13. Mike

Mike

A buddy of mine used the graphite lube spray on his aluminum American 5 spokes. It looks absolutely spot on like unpolished, aged magnesium. It has fooled some very savvy people, it even grows fuzz when it gets wet, just like magnesium will sometimes do.

Also, as said, it can be cleaned off if wanted.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  14. I have a gennie pair of Ansen Sprints that are a little rough, as in they are going to be a pain to polish.
    I have considered going with gold ceracote on them to make them resemble dow7 coating on a magnesium wheel.

It is lame as hell but I have still considred it.

The truth is that aluminum wheels got run more on the street that magnesium. If I owned a street car I would just leave them aluminum and let everyone kiss my rebel . . .

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

That's the spirit!!!!......:D

16. I have a set of American five spoke 15x8.5 Chevy pattern magnesium rims I'm looking to sell. They are as close to nos as you will ever find. I have both metal chromed center caps. They are not the plastic repos. They still have the American racing wheel weights attatched. I want 1400 for them.

17. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks, I'll try that on my Tupperware 3w.....anything to keep the ADHD, and anal spectrum "guys" on their toes!

D-Russ likes this.
  18. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

19. A Boner

A Boner

5. Traditional bling

20. AndersF

AndersF

I guess that if you want aluminumwheels look like polished magnesiumwheels you could nickelplate them.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  21. A Boner

A Boner

They used to say that magnesium wasn't very safe to run on the street, with pot holes ect. Might be an old wives tale.....don't know for sure. Anyway that is reason enough for me to stick with aluminum wheels, let alone the cost of magnesium wheels, especially given the condition of the streets around my hometown. It would actually make more sense to build a 4 wheel drive off road vehicle, than another hot rod.

Is it an old wives tale?

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  22. I have two sets of magnesium wheels. One set is for the slicks. The other for the street tires. I drive my car thousands of miles each year. I also do drag week each year. During that event they send you down some of the roughest roads you will find anywhere over the course of the thousand mile plus event. So if someone was going to break a magnesium wheel I would have a good shot at being that guy. I have yet to damage or crack one. From personal experience I claim it's a old wives tail.
    Stroked stang and tricky Steve also run mag wheels on the street putting thousands of miles on their cars. We are by far not the only ones doing it.

23. dualquads

dualquads

20161124_185238.jpg 20161121_173512.jpg early 60s keystone Kustomflites with a coat of cast blast, done for the time being...

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian, do they still have those cool foil decals between two spokes?
    BTW, those aluminum center caps have gotten quite hard to find.

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I thought this was an old hot rod forum not an old dick forum

millersgarage likes this.
  26. The real caps are very hard to find. I'm not sure what you mean by foil on the spokes. My wheels don't have any.
    Painting mag wheels doesn't last long. The wheel still corrodes and the paint falls off. Dow -7 coating is the only thing that slows down the corrosion. Nothing is found to be permanent.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

These were put on the flat section of the rim between two spokes.
    [​IMG]

28. Very cool. I have never seen those on rims. Check out these wheel weights. 20180627_202546.jpg

29. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I have not seen that chalked Rustoleum before. I have recently used Dark grey Rustoleum primer and it looks like naturally aged Magnesium.

30. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I don't know about magnesium wheels but I've seen magnesium forklift ramps that didn't stand up to impacts. We got several in as scrap.