Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Magnesium Rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terry k, Nov 30, 2018.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I have a pr. of Halibrand rims that are 6" wide. I would prefer 4" or 5" for use as front wheels. Can they be narrowed safely ?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I'd try to work out a trade with someone that has what you want before trying to narrow a pair.

I suppose it can be done safely, chuck them in a lathe to make a straight cut and nice bevel, maybe even cut a narrow circumferential tongue and groove to fit them squarely, and let a good welder melt them back together.

3. Def the biggest problem with doing that would be welding them back together. Might want to try reaching out to Eric Vaughn Machine might have some insight or be able to do it.

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I don't think Halibrand made just rims.
    As far as I've seen, all of their stuff was full wheels.
    As far as narrowing a 6" wheel...you'd be money ahead to find a set to buy. IF...anyone was interested in undertaking such a task, it might break the bank. AND, if they messed up...even just a little, there's no going back.

Another thing to think about, the design of the way the center/hub area blends into the rim area, you may not have "good" material to remove without compromising the integrity (and looks) of the finished product.

I say "sell" what you have, and buy what you want, or "trade" what you have for something closer to what you want.

Mike

moparjimd60 likes this.

5. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

It is possible to weld magnesium, but it's pyrophoric nature makes it very dangerous. I hear lots of uninformed arguments ("it's {the danger} overblown" and "if it's so dangerous, why are so many things, including aircraft components, made from magnesium?") Oh..and some folks are convinced that only magnesium shavings burn. Not true.

Having personally made the mistake of bringing a Volkswagen Squareback to Las Vegas in July heat back in the 1980's, i've seen it first hand. I emptied 3 fire extinguishers on the magnesium crankcase. It simply refused to go out. It was a nice car with a pearl paint job and porsche wheels. There was nothing left of it.

I worked as a mechanical engineer in a plant that manufactures large industrial valves. A customer had custom ordered a magnesium bodied housing for a valve. It shipped from an asian foundry with slight errors. It was machined, then handed to a welder to make a small repair. The welding booth was burned out. The plant was evacuated for an hour and a half. The concrete floor beneath said welder's station was wiped out, beneath the ugly, molten mess. Has anyone ever been to a VW crankcase bonfire? Watch one on youtube sometime.

I am certain you can find someone to weld magnesium properly and most importantly, safely. It won't be cheap or cost effective. You're WAY better off either using what you have...or taking the advice above about a swap of some sort.

6. Binkman

Binkman

Way back in the 70's I used to do a lot of metal polishing as a way to save a few bucks for my first house.
    I did intakes, blowers, wheels, boat parts, whatever came my way.
    I was pretty busy at night after my regular job.
    One day a friend of a friend brings over a VW Rhino case.
    I had no idea that nobody else would touch it because of the hazard of magnesium.
    I polished it but damn near burned the place down.
    A lot of metal particles from the sanding process ended up on the bench top and I didn't notice them.
    When I went over one of the steel studs that were in the case by accident it threw some sparks.
    The sparks ignited the metal filings like black powder and that ignited a curtain on the window by my bench.
    I was able to put it all out quickly but learned a valuable lesson about magnesium first hand.
    The case came out great and a bunch of others wanted me to do their when they sae the one I did.
    I never touched another mag part again.

7. 4'' are so rare, I'd say run the 6'' wheels until you find a a set. Then sell yours to recoup some or all of your money.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. rooman

rooman

Welding magnesium is not difficult if you pay attention to some simple protocols. I have repaired many wheels, intake manifolds etc with absolutely no problems. That said, what the OP is proposing is a major structural change to the wheels which are most likely quite old and may be suffering from degradation. Eric Vaughn is probably the only person that I would recommend if he decides to do it.

Roo