Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Magnesium 200-S/Daisy/Coke Bottle Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Mar 12, 2018.

1. What years were they produced ?
    I've seen a bunch of aluminum but don't recall magnesium, 15x8 Chevy pattern. Screenshot_20180217-003543.jpg

Chucky likes this.
  2. A HAMB stumper ???

3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1969/1970 , used on the trans am series cars. Pretty dang rare!

Larry T likes this.
  4. That kind of makes sense with the back spacing it has, I bought them because I had never seen them before.
    Can you pressure wash magnesium, like at a car wash, or will it mar the finish ?

5. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Swade, I remember those wheels being called American Daisies. Don't ever remember them coming on anything stock. I guess they would have been made by American Wheel Manufacturing? As far as power washing, my guess, why not.

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've car washed old mags. Didn't hurt anything. Just blow them dry so they don't have water ponding anywhere on them.
    SPark

7. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I think those are the same wheels as was used on the TLB '55 Chevy.
    [​IMG]

8. Yes, same design as TLB 55 just different material

Speed Gems likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

These were always known as a 200-S or "Coke Bottle" American, aluminum, only ever heard of the two piece versions being made of magnesium.
    I was just sure I'd find something here, nothing showing but could be worth a phone call.

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/inventory.php?cat=8

10. washing aluminum wheels is one thing. real magnesium wheels is another. the worst thing ever for magnesium is water. it causes instant corrosion. if you want them cleaned up glass bead them. they will eventually turn a dirty grey color again. how fast that is depends on the humidity level they are stored in. dry air is good air.

AHotRod likes this.
  11. They are dirty with dirt, not shelf dust, looks like muddy gravel road kind of dirt, that why I'm considering the car wash blasting.

12. Magnesium is water proof. If they have painted centers it may blast loose paint off of them.

13. Well the car wash and a blow dry didn't make much of a difference ha ha 20180315_165333.jpg 20180315_165346.jpg

14. yep....look like basic 200-S Dasiys that were painted at some point.....

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

16. Bear claws as i got them and after glass beading. Magnesium corrodes. The only thing that protects it is dow 7 coating. Paint will come off in time. It usually doesnt last very long. Water on anything magnesium thats not dow 7 coated is bad. 20171211_125943.jpg

AHotRod and swade41 like this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Lots of guys use that Gibbs stuff on them now after blasting. I haven't though.

18. after they are clean I think you can get paint to stick with the proper primer. Most racers ( and hot rodders) don't bother with priming magnesium or aluminum before painting, the paint never sticks.

That said I like the look of Dow #7 on mag wheels. It won't work on aluminum unfortunately. I haven't seen a set of Daiseys with that treatment I'll bet it is cool to the bone.

19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use WD40 on em after plastic bead blasting. Then there’s always the old dirt burner method... diesel fuel, for the charcoal look.

20. Actually if you polish the rim ( and keep it polished) and just leave the centers they will discolor to a nice magnesium color.

Magnesium Daisy wheels have got to be pretty rare ( I see aluminums all the time) I don't think that I would paint them, that just makes them look like aluminum wheels.

wvenfield likes this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just do it to keep the white furrys at bay.

22. A friend of my dad was a motorpool mechanic in WWII. I don't remember what it was but something that he dealt with had some magnesium pieces, he said that used to soak them down with diesel fuel to keep them from oxidizing. I can't imagine that I would want to soak my million dollar wheels with diesel to see how well it worked but that is what he said that they had to do.

bowie likes this.
  23. These have a couple spots on them

24. I'm not painting them Beaner, just leaving them all nat-ur-al, not sure what I'm even doing with them, still in the house right now..ha ha ha

25. The look of the dow-7 changes based on how they look to start with. A polished wheel looks different than a natural finish wheel after its coated. Dow-7 is like gold anodizing.

26. Yep its a lot like real Candy paint, the base effects the overall look of the finished product.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    I've also been told that the Dow 7 coating on (Halibrands) would look different from batch to batch depending on the person doing them.

28. Here in the Sunny South we always called them Daisy's. HRP