Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Magical tools

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Do you have tools in your shop that you don't know where they came from ? I have tools in my shop that I have no clue how the hell they got there. I have a vast collection of adjustable wrenches , and pipe wrenches I don't ever remember buying any of these things

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

not only dont know how they got here, dont know what they were used for

TagMan, Moselli, Sandgroper and 2 others like this.
  3. cfmvw

cfmvw

Not only did I have some tools that I didn't know where they came from but I also had some tools that I never saw again.

Sandgroper, X-cpe, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  4. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I was wondering where my tools were going

Sandgroper, loudbang and Deuces like this.

5. topher5150

topher5150

The only thing magical about my tools is that I can fit so much and being somewhat organized in an 8'x8' shed IMG_20200330_145025848.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sandgroper, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

I have a post hole digger that showed up ‘magically’! If E. B. (the initials carved in the handle) wants it back, just let me know.

Sandgroper, fauj and loudbang like this.
  7. safetythird

safetythird

I have a large number of tools I got from my first wife.

My current wife objects, despite me explaining I kept them for their usefulness and not sentimental reasons.

Or it may be that my first wife is my current wife and she wants her tools back :D

8. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have more of an issue with knowing I have it but not remembering where the hell I put it.

6-bangertim, Oldb, jvo and 12 others like this.
  9. This...X2...

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

How about tools that go on vacation for years then all the sudden just reappear like they have never been gone. It's magic or I'm just f'n nuts.

11. I find shit all the time that I have no idea where it came from, mostly parts. I found two Holley carbs a while ago, not a clue where they came from. Last summer cleaning up I found 10 brand new dodge distributor caps...all in different places...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Sandgroper, loudbang, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  12. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I have the same problem with pipe wrenches, l guess dad did too since I have a drawer full of them when I got his tools.

Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  13. Lol so I’m not the only one with pipe wrenches !!
    I got two of every size from little 4” ones up to two that are 5’ long !!!

Where? How ? When ?

pretty sure I only bought 2 in my life.the other one is driver bits , scattered around the garage and work like frigging little metal deer shits !

6-bangertim and loudbang like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

This hits home! I have been in the process of cleaning, reorganizing my detached garage/shop for the last two months or more! I found stuff/tools I haven’t seen in twenty years and have 0 recollection of them at all. I have a valve grinding set up in my shop that I have pieced together over the years. I had everything except the motor thing that turns the stone for grinding the seat. Well I have been looking for one for the last five years. I was ticked to death to find one two years ago at the Springfield , Mo. sway meet, for the right price and with a few extras! Wow! Success! Job well done! I am now complete!
    Well two weeks ago I cleaned out all the boxes I have stored under my work bench as I am installing peg board behind it. I open a big steel box I find in the back...... there is a seat grinder motor, shaper, and a complete set of stones! So, yes “ mystery tools” I do know them!

Bones

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nope. I have tools I bought. Tools I inherited from my dad, and my wife's dad. I know where every one of them came from. I do sometimes wonder why I've kept so many multiples of the same exact tool. In some cases I've got 5 or 6 of the same tool!

Boneyard51, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  16. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I was just looking for some number 10 wire and found another adjustable wrench. As my dementia progresses I think the situation will get worse

loudbang likes this.
  17. The only magical tools I've had are the ones that grew legs...

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have been looking for my 3/8 drill for 4 months. i have another cordless one, so i get by, but how can something that big, bright yellow, with a cord dangling off it, just vanish? must be magic, or...maybe i need to clean up this mess

19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

A few years ago I had an extension cord for my camper on the tongue of it after I came back from camping. I usually plug the camper in but I forgot to the first night so I went to do it the next day and the cord was gone. Five years later I go out and my extension cord is sitting on a lawn chair next to my driveway, now the crazy thing is none of my neighbors have an RV.

seb fontana and loudbang like this.
  20. 58 Mustang

58 Mustang

I have bought exactly, one, adjustable (Crescent) wrench in 73 years and at last count I have 14 of them from 18" to 4". I probably have a dozen 3" 3/8 drive extensions. I can't recall ever buying one. Pliers also gravitate towards me, zzzzzzi must have 50 pairs yet my good Klein ironworker pliers have gone MIA

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I found the construction guys hammer yesterday from a 20 year old add on to the house. It seems my small tape measure`s all disappear until the last one. That one, I never seem to lose. Then I buy more and the process continues.

22. I can't relate. I know the backstory of every tool I have....... I'm not bragging; I just don't have that many tools. Some I have from my youth when I was actively wrenching. Then a long gap to raise a family with a zillion kids. Then more tools to wrench again. My stash is plaid because the woodworking stuff is co-mingled. I still have the first tool I ever had; a little punch I made in high school shop class when I was 14.
    Oh! And I have a socket set that's made up of one or two sockets from every socket maker that has ever existed....... and a can of spares in case I lose one.

23. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

When I was an apprentice Ironworker, I worked with a journeyman that probably told me 20 times,
    "I find if you take care of your tools, your tools will take care of you". I made a lot of money with my tools. I think that is kind of magic right there.

24. You have Ettore Bugatti's post hole digger? o_O

That ought to be worth a few bucks! :rolleyes:

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The elves sometimes borrow our tools, but always plan to bring them back. Unfortunately sometimes they get mixed up and return different tools.

26. goldmountain

goldmountain

Tools must not like me. They just go away. No strange ones come to visit.

rusty valley likes this.
  27. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Maybe I haven't been playing the game long enough. I've only had tools for 40 years or so. They don't just appear for me. I have to work, save and buy them all.

Devin

28. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

So. You're "THAT" neighbor!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. I also know the story of pretty much every tool I have. I have had two Craftsman socket sets for about 40 years. One day the project manager at the boatyard asked to borrow my 3/8 ratchet (I hate lending or borrowing tools!) and managed to lose it. He bought me a replacement Craftsman that was longer, and didn't fit properly in the box. Pissed me off! Years later I saw something shiny in the dirt outside my garage, dug up a ratchet just like the one that was lost. Cleaned it up and oiled it, works great and fits in box. Evidently the previous homeowner lost it. Moral of the story is: I take care of my tools and even with multiple tool storage systems in my garage, can lay my hands on just about anything I need...

osage orange and catdad49 like this.
  30. Budget36

Budget36

Like many I know where all my tools came from. Also like many i have no idea where some went.