Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wrench666, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

LOL, the Tab magazine top left is actually a girlie magazine from 1967. has the dragula, Dan Woods milk truck and Roths surfite in it too

dana barlow, Speed Gems and enloe like this.
  2. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I've got about 25,000 magazines from the early 50's to current, so I read back issues. I am constantly amazed by how full of info and highly technical the magaines from the early 60's were. They actually expected you to be knowledgeable, or at least willing to learn. Just for fun, order an old copy of HotRod from the early 60's and compare it to the junk out there today.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  3. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Your killing me Mark. Is that JJ#1 up on that rack?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I just posted a couple of hard to find items in the classifieds 1962 nascar magazine and a AHRA Program from Bristol.

5. Canadian Hot Rods eh, & Car Kulture Deluxe.
    I mostly get my hot rod fix right here on the Hamb.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Do you mean Rodders Journal? if so # 2 is the earliest one I ever had....

7. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

No Jalopy Journal #1. After a PM to Ryan, I’ve verified that he printed a limited #. I have #2&#3 but I would like to find a decent copy of #1. Thanks for the response.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

last two I bought were street rodder and old skool rods.dont normally buy anymore except there is a really nice car featured

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man... I liked Boys' Life for a few reasons. I recall some great model airplane plans in there, the old, real scale like stuff. Bulkheads and planking...stringers, covered with raw silk.

Intrigued a young 9 year old mind how the metal of a model engine could be mated with a wood airframe... then, piston power to haul it aloft! (control lines and free flight alike, I LOVED it all!

Couldn't wait for the next issue...Sidewalk push cars, (mine looked 'lakes car-ish') then tether cars.
    Model boats were out of reach, the real hot rods were '32 Gee Bees, '32 Fords, and those mysterious Tether Indy Cars ("Little BIG cars!")

Lou kriger and enloe like this.
  10. Boatmark

Boatmark

Rodders Journal
    Hot Rod Deluxe
    Street Rodder
    Hot Rod
    Hemmings Classic Car
    Hemmings Muscle Machines
    Recently started an Antique Truck magazine but can't remember the name.

Love traditional Hot Rod's, but love lots of different types of Rod's. Hence the varied list.

Thinned out the collection before the last move, but can't part with them all. Still enjoy pulling a random handful out of a tote in the garage.

Lou kriger likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have every HRM from #1 thru 1965. It soured after that, "NO HOT RODS, JUST CHEVYS."
    Street Rod from Washington State, all except #1. UNTIL the 1985 L.A. Roadster Show on Fathers Day: I spotted a 'booth', (just a pop up tent) with the Street Rod banner...sidled up and said "I have 'em all, to date...EXCEPT #1!" One of the guys reached in a box and produced TWO copies of the elusive #1. I accepted them gladly, they were a gift.
    Gave the other one to my bud Larry. (prop. of 'Early Auto', next door to Sid Chavers' shop)
    I also have an extensive collection of Street Rodder, ('til it got too 'gold chain goodguise' for me!)
    Rod & Custom, all of 'em. (the 'Bible')
    Tex Smith's 'Hot Rod Mechanix'. (kinda 'folksy', remember Tex's roadster? ...and the 'Roadster for a dollar a pound'? I could build uglier stuff, but try not to drink that much...

Model Builder, as long as Bill Northrup was alive. Great model airplane building mag!
    Flying Models, too. 'til they folded...the second time...LOL
    Hey, large model airplanes are great. Build from NOTHING. End up with beautiful 'stuff'. Don't go broke collecting early Ford stuff. Great thing for a 'break'...

12. Sorry @MERCMAN, those magazines are all pre-64.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Thanks for the response @chryslerfan55. I’m striking out so far, but I’m going forward. I figure that with enough time, and Carlisle Hershey are coming up. Who knows I may run across one yet. BTW I like your Avatar, 56 big windows have always been a favorite.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. I’ve had that truck since I was 15.

15. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

it’s super. @ chryslerfan55 I have a lag between I-phone&I-pad. When I get over to my brothers I’ll post some pic’s of the 56 f-1 that I bought in 04’ in Alabama..keep the faith.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. I will.

17. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I gave away my 40 year collection of "all of the above" about a year ago. (The 24 foot by 4 shelves to the left of the unfriendly car.) It's starting to accumulate again. I have kept all of The Rodder's Journal (-#1 & 2). I get Hot Rod, Street Rodder, Classic Truck, Hemmings Muscle, Round-Up. I renew when they reduce the price a couple of times. Some times I go to Barnes & Noble on a rainey day, get a cup of overpriced Starbucks & flip & read 'til I get sleepy - doesn't take long!!

Attached Files:

Ric Dean, chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Shamus...Maybe 'unfriendly' here, but...That's a good looking modern black...er, 'Roadster'!

Very classy, and tidy. All the right stuff.

19. DANSLED

DANSLED
    from CW, Ohio

20180419_183212.jpg
    I'e been a subscriber since issue 1. Luke really knows how to put a Traditional Kustom magazine together. I invite you all to check it out if you like traditional sleds I think You'll like what you see.

20. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Agree!!! I love this magazine !!!and I read POWERGLIDE europeen magazine

DANSLED likes this.
  21. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I don't read any of them, use too until about 10 years ago when I saw some sort of women's magazine on the rack next to the check out and candy bars at the super market, it was the size of a New York city phone book and costing about $1.50 while looking over at a $6.00 copy of a some hot rod magazine with about 42 pages of ads. They put themselves out of business.

22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Well cataloging some of my old big/little mags tonight. Dang I'm a exciting guy. ha ha

Found this one...

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Been subscribed to Hot Rod since 1964.

Bones

jakespeed63 and XXL__ like this.
  24. Found these a couple weeks ago..my collection of Hot Rod starts at 56...the other cool thing is the fact these were from what many say is the first speed shop in Detroit

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I used to get around 5 subs but now I collect all the 50's little mags then give them to my Dad. Just not enough tech in today's rags for me. I get waves of tech , tips and tricks from here daily.

26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

In the little books the ads are fun to look at what was available and the prices. I can find anything online I need or want so really no need to buy a monthly catalog with a couple of 50/60 thousand dollar + rides that has pics that someone wrote a check for.

27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have hundreds of magazines that I read all the time. Some are just for looks though. I have them in different places when I look at the covers they make me feel good.. I have nothing newer then 1974 though.. I love the fiftys and sixtys Car Craft covers!

28. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had them everywhere- finally gave them all away a couple of years ago. Only kept the little books.

29. I used to subscribe to Rodders Journal.Now I read the weekly Silver Threads news letter.I used to be an exotic male dancer at the seniors center and was asked to do a show at the Silver Threads,thats how I got turned on to it.Good bunch of ladies,good thing they have bad eye sight.God I love them.

,s how I got turned on to the weekly news letter.Good bunch of ladies,good thing they have bad eye sight.

enloe likes this.
  30. Nitro madness
    Hot rod
    Rpm
    Performance racing industry
    National dragster

enloe and chryslerfan55 like this.